Mountain Project Logo

Grand Teton Conditions

John Roark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
From sw on 7/11
Peter Throckmorton · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 217

Hey all, my partner and I are planning to climb the Cathedral traverse in a week and wondering if anyone has done it yet this season (we know its early season for it), and what conditions look like along the way. Thanks!

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952
  • second hand info, Wednesday I was told by another climber that said the Rangers have yet to know of anyone going up the North Ridge on the Grand yet.  
Peter Throckmorton · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 217

Thanks Jon, I appreciate it!

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

Teewinot has quite a bit of snow on the East face as well...I would expect to deal with a decent amount of snow doing the Cathedral until well into August.  I was going to go up and try it this Saturday but weather looks iffy so we decided to go to the Winds.  Maybe I'll make it up next weekend, if you go Peter post up conditions and I'll do the same if I'm back up there.  

Pugnacious Slab · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 371

Anyone have any updates on conditions on the grand? 

Mike R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,768

No need for axes, spikes, or crampons if headed up OS/ Exum area routes.  Approach shoes are just fine.  

Still a bit of snow along the Koven and on the East Ridge of Owen otherwise everything along the Grand traverse is free of snow. The meadows are still covered in snow though (?), that was a bit surprising but not stopping anyone from climbing anything. 

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

I did the OS on Saturday and exum looked good while OS had plenty of snow and ice. After recent storms I'm sure that its worse now. It was manageable without crampons at the time though.

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

WOW!  ^^^^  Thing is coated! 

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Think Death Canyon would be spared?

Hayden Brown · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

anybody managed to summit this bad boy lately? trying to climb it this weekend.

Hannah Ashley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 75

Flying out to do Complete Exum this weekend, we suppose that Lower Exum will be fine...but does anyone have any snow/ice beta on upper? 

People where skiing the glacier the last few days- upper Exum dries out fairly quickly but expect snow and ice to linger, especially on the descent. 

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

Bring boots.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

^Ya I think Chaco season is over up there. Saw some winter like pictures from around the lower saddle. I bet the skiing was good on the middle teton glacier. I heard about people walking through waist deep drifts near the fixed ropes. That being said like Luke mentioned the upper Exum dries out fast and would expect people to be climbing that again soon. 

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Maybe not a season-ender yet, but.. mountains got some snow! Nice powder on the MTG, looking towards the Grand. Photo from JHMR.

Bringing micro spikes or full crampons might be a good idea..and the understanding that this weekend might be a little wet and chilly! 
Tim Wilcken · · Rochester, MN · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 30

Any one been up the upper exum in the last couple days? Current conditions would be appreciated with recent snow event.

Josh Moerer · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

Does anyone know how the condition s are for the Exum route? Planning to do it this weekend, but would like information on the current conditions given the snow from last week.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas
Post a Reply to "Grand Teton Conditions "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started