Mountain Project Logo

2018 Promaster Camper Van for Sale

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Bridge Bound Campers · · Fayetteville, WV · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0
For Sale: 2018 Promaster Camper Van
Mileage: 12,095
Price: $62,500 or best offer

Bridge Bound Campers is a  van and small vehicle conversion company located at the New River Gorge, Fayetteville, West Virginia. This van was built as a demo to kick start the business. After twenty years of vehicle dwelling and climbing myself—including the back of a pickup, a VW Westy, Sprinter van, and Four Wheel truck camper, — I built this out to be the ideal full-time climber vehicle.

It's a bit on the fancy side and I realize that the price is out of reach for many young climbers, but price it out against larger conversion companies and you'll find this to be a good deal on a great van. If this van isn't for you, consider working with us on your own van/truck/car project. Our goal is to work with any budget and vehicle to get you out on the road living the full time climbing life. For example, we recently built a bed platform and storage box in a Honda Fit for a very reasonable price.

Instead of overloading this post with information and photos of this van, I'll keep it simple. For details, check out our website at BridgeBoundCampers.com or visit our Facebook page at  www.facebook.com/BridgeBoundCampers/  The most detailed listing is on the Facebook page with lots of photos and information.

Thanks, and feel free to contact me directly at bridgeboundcampers@gmail.com

New list price is $58,500. Hoping this van goes to a climber! More info here: http://bridgeboundcampers.com/forsale/index.html

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,766

I just don't understand this new idea that a person can take a $30'000 van and somehow increase the worth 2x's by adding cabinets and some lights. I'm betting that climbers aren't the market for that type of price increase. Theres a whole bunch of wannabe bohemian rich people from Malibu and LA that love showing off that might be interested. 

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1
Jon Hartmann wrote: I just don't understand this new idea that a person can take a $30'000 van and somehow increase the worth 2x's by adding cabinets and some lights. I'm betting that climbers aren't the market for that type of price increase. Theres a whole bunch of wannabe bohemian rich people from Malibu and LA that love showing off that might be interested. 

Maybe you've not been to the crag lately

Beautiful build out regardless 

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Jon Hartmann wrote: I just don't understand this new idea that a person can take a $30'000 van and somehow increase the worth 2x's by adding cabinets and some lights. I'm betting that climbers aren't the market for that type of price increase. Theres a whole bunch of wannabe bohemian rich people from Malibu and LA that love showing off that might be interested. 

They're priced like that because people pay it. I've seen more vans like this than I have fingers the last couple of times I've been to Smith or Squamish. Driven by 20 somethings whose parents have too much money. 

I'm just really happy that the OP didn't use "dirtbag mobile" in his post.

Hi Jon, I fully understand that not everyone can afford a van like this, but there is a market for it and if you price this van against other larger conversion companies like Sportsmobile you'll find that it's a good deal. It's hard to understand the costs associated until you actually do the math. Fridge $1000, furnace $800, stove $600, sheet of plywood $50, boxes of screws (15+ sizes and varieties), $150 worth of spray adhesive, etc, etc. Material costs end up around $10,000 quite quickly not including the tools required, rent for shop space, insurance, and other overhead costs. Like any skilled trade it also requires knowledge of woodwork and electrical systems. Time to build is about 3 months of 40 hour weeks, which leaves the builder with a pretty meager wage.

But the real reason (in my opinion) that prices are where they are is due to the absence of production camper vans in the American auto market. If the market continues to grow and VW thinks it would be worth it to reintroduce assembly line produced camper vans, my guess is that it would drive the prices down as custom van builders got pushed out of the market. As it is, the only production "adventure van" is the $110,000 4x4 Winnebago Revel and you won't believe it, but get on the waiting list if you want one. They can't build them fast enough. There are lots of people these days that want a van like this, but don't have the time, skill, garage space, or tools to build it themselves, but they do have a good job and climb 5.14 in Rifle on the weekends. If you know any bohemians in Malibu, please put us in touch. ;-)   

Parker H · · Indianapolis · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0
If the market continues to grow and VW thinks it would be worth it to reintroduce assembly line produced camper vans, my guess is that it would drive the prices down as custom van builders got pushed out of the market. 

Actually the new Volkswagen California campers( basically their latest westy style camper) that are in the Euro market are well over 100k usd. 

And they are only I think 17ft, even if those came over there’s still plenty of room in the market for small conversion companies. 

Come move to Ojai. They're taking over our town every weekend. Tell them a straw hat was hand weaved by a local hippie and they'll pay $150 for it. Try to sell it for $15 and they'll walk right past the "poor people hat". 

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

Nice build out!   Seems like a good price for what I've seen from Winnebego and others.

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1

What's the bed length?

Matt Michaels · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

I got to see this van in person because I was having some work done on my Promaster and I have to say that this van is really well done. There’s a huge difference between building something on your own and having it professionally done. This van is ready for any adventures and you could definitely live out of it if you wanted. It’s a really good price for the amount of work that has been done on it.

fuzzy muzzle wrote: What's the bed length?

Bed length is 6' 4".   

Parker H wrote:

Actually the new Volkswagen California campers( basically their latest westy style camper) that are in the Euro market are well over 100k usd. 

And they are only I think 17ft, even if those came over there’s still plenty of room in the market for small conversion companies. 

That's really interesting. The reason I started doing this was because I saw the outrageous prices these vans were going for and I wanted to stick it to the man by doing it for far less. In about 2000, I bought a 1986 VW Westy for $6000 and drove it until the wheels fell off, which literally happened going top speed down the interstate (about 62 mph).  I just couldn't believe that in 18 years, you could go from getting a really nice van for $6000 to having to pay over $50,000. So in my search for a price point to aim for, I found the msrp of a brand new 1990 Volkswagen Westfalia camper van—$20,990. Adjusted for inflation that's $40, 450.

So that was my target. I'd build out a super nice van and sell it for $40K. It took about 5 minutes to fail. MSRP on a new Promaster is 31K and materials for the build are close to 10k. You could do it for yourself, but not if you expect to make even a dollar profit. It makes me feel a lot better to know that VW has also failed at producing an affordable camper van. And why is the internet's inflation calculator about $60k off?  

Gisela Padmali · · Davis, WV · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Which promaster is it.  1500. 136 length?

Beautifully done. 

Gisela Padmali wrote: Which promaster is it.  1500. 136 length?

Beautifully done. 

That is correct Gisela. I have a buyer coming in next week, but give me a call if you're interested in a similar build.
Thanks,
Mike
804 357 3805

Darren Westby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 131

Have you guys built any bed platforms with drawers for mini vans?

Daniel Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 107

Yup, definitely can't afford $60k on a van.  Looks nice.  

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.