Mountain Project Logo

Mammut Shells?

Original Post
Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they good? Do they breathe? How's the fit, durability, waterproofing, etc?

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I have the Norward Pro pants. The material is more breathable but not quite as durable as Gortex Pro. The fit was great in the legs but the fly was oddly placed, which made them hard to pee in through all my layers and my harness. Short story short, I finally decided to get rid of them when I couldn’t get “myself” out to pee at a rap station during a storm at 5000m   . Now I’m back to all Arcteryx again.

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81

Good to know. I think it's between the two brands at the moment for top layers, budget constraints force me to stick with the OR Helium pant for the time being.

Any experience with the jackets?

Dallin Carey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 177
Chris C. wrote: I have the Norward Pro pants. The material is more breathable but not quite as durable as Gortex Pro. The fit was great in the legs but the fly was oddly placed, which made them hard to pee in through all my layers and my harness. Short story short, I finally decided to get rid of them when I couldn’t get “myself” out to pee at a rap station during a storm at 5000m   . Now I’m back to all Arcteryx again.

What iteration of the pant do you have? Mammut's website states "we have used a robust, lightweight and elastic GORE-TEX® Pro material..."

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
Dallin Carey wrote:

What iteration of the pant do you have? Mammut's website states "we have used a robust, lightweight and elastic GORE-TEX® Pro material..."

I have the very latest ones, just got them in December- it does look like they are Gortex Pro indeed. Not too sure why the durability didn't seem to hold up compared to the Arcteryx stuff I use, it could have just been unlucky. I got quite a 4-5 small holes in them after about 14 days of use.  Again, could have just been unlucky.  Even with that removed though, they are still not my first choice of pants.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Mammut Shells?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started