Mountain Project Logo

Krukonogi Picks

Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188
Theriault wrote: same here, got some and no.... no good for ice... just WAY to thick! Zac, I have a set of "Ice" blades for the Master`s if ya wanna try em, Ill be in your area 13-16 feb ish .
From what I understand, the blades that come with the force alloy are the drytooling blade, and the ones that come with the masters are the ice?

Im sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
Marty Theriault · · Quebec, QC · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 310
Zac.St.Jules wrote: From what I understand, the blades that come with the force alloy are the drytooling blade, and the ones that come with the masters are the ice? Im sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
yes, go on the liberty mountain website and you can figure it out there
Brandonian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Been running a set of Krunkonogi PN0As (nomic ice picks) "standard geo" THESE PICKS ARE SO CHOICE! And the company is really on point within 10 days they were at the door.

Dobson · · Butte, MT · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 215

So I decided against getting the Krukonogi picks for myself: for the time and money spent getting new tools and picks, it was better just to make everything myself. That said, I did get to play with a friend's drytool picks. The Krukonogi alloy was quick to work with on the grinder; I didn't try using a file. Using a 10" contact wheel, I removed the notches on the spine, beveled the teeth, put in a swedge grind, and put a hollow distal taper into the last third of the pick. Finished everything up with a Scotchbrite belt.

Krukonogi regrind

Should be a competent mixed tool now, rather than a dedicated drytool pick.

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Dang, very nice handiwork

Kate Hopkins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Now you can order krukonogi picks and gear in US shop: krukonogi.us

Zac St Jules · · New Hampshire · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 1,188
Kate Hopkins wrote: Now you can order krukonogi picks and gear in US shop: krukonogi.us

AH Nice!!! Bout time!

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 176

Interesting. We've been supplying them for a year or so. Wonder if they're inventory is actually state side. ​

https://www.tcrockandice.com/store/​​​

DanH TheMan · · West Millbury, MA · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
Xam wrote: It has been said before but the armour steel is pretty easy to work with a grinder. I purchased two pairs of the points as replacements for my Lynx points, as they were cheaper than petzl at the time. 5 min on a grinder and I was able to camfer the points to a pretty good edge. I assume you could do the same with the picks if you were so inclined.

Ive been told that putting hardened steel on a grinder will cause it to lose its temper.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Dan Hoban wrote:

Ive been told that putting hardened steel on a grinder will cause it to lose its temper.

You just need to keep the metal from overheating, dipping it in water after each pass, not let the metal just rub on the wheel.

LL Biner · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

I had the good fortune of living in Moscow for a couple of years, cruising the small mountain shops was always fun.
I came across the Krokonogi picks, along with some of their other gear, and you could just tell that their picks were superior.
They make three different picks for the Cobras, so you decide how aggressive you want to go.
In terms of ordering you do have a couple of other options besides directly from the company.
Rock and Resole in Boulder now carries some of their picks, and Krokonogi US which I believe is somewhere in Washington.
Their picks have been called game changers, and I tend to agree.
Mario

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Krukonogi Picks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started