Mountain Project Logo

White Water Rafting, anyone?

Ladd Raine · · Plymouth, NH · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 5,505

Gauley River, West Virginia. Labor day til end middle of october.

Rich Sims · · Centennial · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 0

Steve
I have come full circle as I have decided to sell most of my kayaking gear. Last few seasons I found my self looking up at the rock more and more.
I am keeping my 16� NRS raft and would jump at some climbing-rafting. Any beta on Ruby- Horsetheif climbing
Rich Sims richard@simsbuilt.com

Danny Inman · · Arvada · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 860

I was a raft guide for several years as well as a kayaker for 17 years. I would have agree with Ladd that the Gauley is one of the best rafting trips to get on. I would also highly recommend the upper Yough and the Russell Fork (which is very close to the Red River Gorge). Out west, I would say the Gore Canyon.

Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,725

Desolation Canyon, Utah
Matt F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

I went with my family a while ago on a Grand Canyon rafting trip down the Colorado river and had a great time we went with Crate. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to see the Grand Canyon up close and personal. It was nice because we just brought our clothes and they took care of the rest, and the food was excellent. I remember some really good rapids when I went.. I think it was in the spring? I want to go again soon, but I have 3 little kids now so it makes it a bit harder to find time lol. That being said maybe as they get a little older I will give it a shot again.

Robert Hall · · North Conway, NH · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 27,827

I white-water paddled (C-1 and Open Canoe) for nearly 20 years and did the Middle Fork of the Salmon in ID 3 times, each time when we got to the take out (confluence with the Main Salmon) I felt I could have thrown my paddle onto the ground and walked away from my canoe and never paddle again because I just "knew" I'd never be on a more beautiful river! (Including the Grand Canyon, but that's also on any paddler's "must do" list.)

If you go, and want a commercial trip, go with "Canyons" , Les Bechtel (?spelling?) literally "wrote the book" on whitewater rescue and they are super safe. (with great food)

Here in the East -  try the Hudson Gorge ( in southern Adirondacks, so bring your rope and gear for climbing later) A piece of trivia for the Hudson: In the mid-to-late 1960's (long before rafting became a "sport" in the East) an Appalachian Mountain Club group took then-Senator-from-NY Robert Kennedy down the Hudson Gorge in the bow of a C-2 (2 person covered canoe) to show him that wilderness.  Later, "Bobby" was one of the swing votes on the Wild and Scenic River Act.

The "New River" (Yup, I hear there's climbing nearby too) is a popular trip, as well as the Gaully and the Cheat.  However, these (while exciting) don't have the beauty of the Middle Fork of the Salmon or the Hudson Gorge.   Trivia for the "New"...it is, I believe, the second oldest river in the world (behind the Nile??) ; its course pre-dates the rise of the Appalachian Mtns, like 250 (?) Million years ago. In that general area (W Va) is the Tygart and its tributary the Middle Fork (river). Don't know if there's commercial rafting on them, but any outfit that guides the Cheat would know.

Zachary Collier · · Hood River, OR · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0

The best known challenging trips on earth are:

- Futaleufu River
- Zambezi River
- Grand Canyon
- Middle Fork of the Salmon
- Selway River
- Tuolumne River
- Gauley River
- Karnali River

A few honorable mentions are Sun Kosi River, Paro Chhu, Merced River, Arkansas River, Rogue River and the Franklin River.

Darrell Cornick · · Salem, OR · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 5

It is hard to plan a long ways out because of fluctuating  river levels but if we are mentioning awesome white water rivers, the Illinois river in Oregon is 30 miles of world class hard but not too scary rapids. Lots of cool 8-12 ft drops, great scenery and low crowds.

I have never been to WV while the Gauley was running but the New River is world class climbing and white water in the same town.

If you really love rivers,learn to kayak. Its a more personel connection to river whatever that means. And then you can paddle Opal Creek which is the most stunning class 4 on the planet. I may be biased though. It’s my after work run.

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

The Snake through Hells Canyon for big water. Take your time, though. Many people do it in one or two nights. I like to take 4 or 5 and enjoy it. Don’t do a “jet back” either. That is a good way to erase a good trip.

For the last decade or so, I’ve also been trying to get consecutive Middle Fork and Main Salmon trips. I would then continue on the Lower Salmon and actually take out at Heller Bar on the Snake. Something like 300 Miles/30 days. Getting the trips, and having good water levels is tricky, though.

Andy W · · Ft Collins · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 41
Jaren Watson wrote: Rafting and kayaking were amazing sports until around 1995. Now they’re  like  to the DMV.

Despite the mp norm, this is the ONLY worthless contribution to this thread (and now mine is the second). Seems boaters don't uphold a similar ygd, get out of my sport, I have nothing better to do than troll mentally.

I have dreamt of kayaking for years, but can't seem to manage the initial leap while maintaining climbing, biking, skiing. Thanks for the stoke and trip recs everyone else has provided!
Jaren Watson wrote:

Then you wouldn’t know, would you?

I didn't say I knew. Based on this thread which is 30 nice comments to your 1, vs the normal mp beginner climbing thread that is typically the opposite ratio, plus comments in this thread explaining the boater comradery, it's a reasonable observation to make as someone interested in the sport. Next time just start with the useful info explaining why your bitter and try to minimize the whiney back in my day complaining. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and some reasons behind them. I think that sublime moment can sometimes outweigh all the hurdles. Conversely I am very adverse to crowds in my outdoor recreation. It's a good point to be considere since it's not feasible to hike in a kayak. Maybe pack rafting is the answer? 

Please similarly call me out anytime. I wish you a speedy return to good health! 

Darrell Cornick · · Salem, OR · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 5

The boating community in Oregon is super freindly. More so than the climbing community which is already really good.  I solo world class creeks even on the weekends. If Some folks are there already it feels like its assumed we will all boat together. 

Soren Baty · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2023 · Points: 0

Hello,

I just created an account on Mountain project website. I live In Louisiana. I'm looking for a group to go whitewater rafting with. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Kyle Mills · · Spruce Knob, WV · Joined May 2021 · Points: 0
Robert Hall wrote:
The "New River" (Yup, I hear there's climbing nearby too) is a popular trip, as well as the Gaully and the Cheat.  However, these (while exciting) don't have the beauty of the Middle Fork of the Salmon or the Hudson Gorge.   Trivia for the "New"...it is, I believe, the second oldest river in the world (behind the Nile??) ; its course pre-dates the rise of the Appalachian Mtns, like 250 (?) Million years ago. In that general area (W Va) is the Tygart and its tributary the Middle Fork (river). Don't know if there's commercial rafting on them, but any outfit that guides the Cheat would know.

Cheat River Outfitters are the go-to folks for northern WV. The Cheat Canyon is a 14 mile wilderness run with 30-some named rapids. The Cheat Narrows are a super fun, but short, run—and the Dry Fork of the Cheat (not to far from Seneca Rocks) is a surfers paradise. Really anything on the Cheat is going to be a blast. I have the RMR Storm and it seems like a perfect size for the local runs around where I live. The North Fork of the South Branch and the Smokehole Canyon aren't too crazy, but incredibly scenic and we do a lot of overnight trips on them.

Sam Untersee · · Bozeman, MT · Joined May 2018 · Points: 22

Anyone else ever boated the Lochsa River in Idaho? Made a trip each of the last four years for high water pre-guiding season and its mega! Low consequence (unless you find yourself in Wolf Fang Falls or Hospital Hole) massive class 4 wave trains. 

ubu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 10
Kyle Mills wrote:

Cheat River Outfitters are the go-to folks for northern WV. The Cheat Canyon is a 14 mile wilderness run with 30-some named rapids. The Cheat Narrows are a super fun, but short, run—and the Dry Fork of the Cheat (not to far from Seneca Rocks) is a surfers paradise. Really anything on the Cheat is going to be a blast. I have the RMR Storm and it seems like a perfect size for the local runs around where I live. The North Fork of the South Branch and the Smokehole Canyon aren't too crazy, but incredibly scenic and we do a lot of overnight trips on them.

Any chance you've run the North Fork of the Blackwater downstream from Thomas?  It looks super fun (and super technical!) when the water is running high but I've never been brave enough to give it a go.

Kyle Mills · · Spruce Knob, WV · Joined May 2021 · Points: 0
ubu wrote:

Any chance you've run the North Fork of the Blackwater downstream from Thomas?  It looks super fun (and super technical!) when the water is running high but I've never been brave enough to give it a go.

Nope, that's well above my paygrade! I don't really kayak much at all. If it's to stout for my WW canoe I jump in the raft lol.

Gregory Cooper · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 2,947

Just be careful not to get too addicted. Don't be like me and spend all spring, summer, fall raft guiding and losing everything I gained climbing over the last 3 years.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "White Water Rafting, anyone?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started