Mountain Project Logo

Warning signs that your partner is getting into rock climbing

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

That's funny........

But my take-away is......

"Tradiban reads the New Yorker?"...... ;)

John Barritt wrote: That's funny........

The Tradiban is gossamer and one mustn't dissect gossamer.

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
John Barritt wrote: That's funny........

Isnt there an Okie law that says reading anything besides a beer can or a pack of smokes is punishable by death and/or life in prison?

T Roper wrote:

Isnt there an Okie law that says reading anything besides a beer can or a pack of smokes is punishable by death and/or life in prison?

I've read some damn fine poetry on a beer can before.

T Roper wrote:

You're thinking of Arkansas ....... ;)

Eric Wydeven · · austin, tx · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

And sometimes they put those puzzles on the underside of the bottle cap.  It's brain work.  Gotta stay sharp.  (I'm talking Lone Star here; don't know about those fancy micro brews).

Tradiban wrote:

I've read some damn fine poetry on a beer can before.

Pearl caps were the go to "reading material" bitd,

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

Cute little humor piece.  I like this bit:

"You and your partner used to have mutual friends. You all could get drinks and talk about television or your bosses, like normal people. Now your partner spends a lot of time with a guy who lives in a 1995 Dodge Neon. His name is Decker, and you’ll hear a lot about how he climbs “like a Zen master.” You will need to fight the urge to mention that he’s not Zen—he’s just exhausted because he sleeps in a tiny car."

Dan Rudolph · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 31

John Barritt wrote:

Pearl caps were the go to "reading material" bitd,

No time like the present
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This humor piece just reminds me how boring climbers are. We should all just die. Or hey, get a microbrew and send some sick lines. Whatevs.

Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20

Any data out there on the popularity and growth of the sport? The new yorker piece is anecdotal but sure is telling of mainstream success.

Carolina wrote: Any data out there on the popularity and growth of the sport? The new yorker piece is anecdotal but sure is telling of mainstream success.

When the New Yorker is making fun of something for being a trend, that trend has officially jumped the shark. Climbing is too popular, nobody climbs anymore.

Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10
Tim Stich wrote: This humor piece just reminds me how boring climbers are. We should all just die. Or hey, get a microbrew and send some sick lines. Whatevs.

Well, part of that sentence is guaranteed. So might as well have the microbrews in the meantime.

Yawn Bosco · · Raleigh, NC · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0
  • whew* no mention of incessantly checking climbing forums or screwing up the shared Amazon prime account with ordering all those climbing tomes. I'm good.
Carolina · · Front Range NC · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 20
Tradiban wrote:

When the New Yorker is making fun of something for being a trend, that trend has officially jumped the shark. Climbing is too popular, nobody climbs anymore.

Any evidence to back that up?

Carolina wrote:

Any evidence to back that up?

Which part?

M guzzy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

LOL... I thought the same thing... By the time the New Yorker does an article on climbing in its fancy fonts... it is a sign the activity has transitioned from a trend to a fad to a meme.. and beyond...  

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I found it pretty funny. The New Yorker should’ve kept going. How bout the fact that every “climber” turns into an expert with strong opinions around day 730? 

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Bill Kirby wrote:   I found it pretty funny. The New Yorker should’ve kept going. How bout the fact that every “climber” turns into an expert with strong opinions around day 730? 

No, thats just Mtn Project man. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Warning signs that your partner is getting into…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.