Mountain Project Logo

Hyperlite packs? Durability, comfort?

Original Post
akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I’m reading mixed reviews on Hyperlites durability.  What have been people’s experiences with the packs? Don’t want to spend $500 on a pack that isn’t going to last-not that the craftsmanship  isn’t good-but the material is to thin to last a good amount of time.   How would you rate them in terms of comfort and load support?   Mainly looking at getting 60 liters or bigger-thanks!!

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

I do not own them. But I know a bunch of people who work for them making the gear and two people who have hiked the entire AT with Hyperlite packs. Everyone loves them.

Matt Z · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 161

I have one of the 3400 Ice packs and I used it for three years without a problem. At the end of last fall the inside started pulling apart, basically the innermost layer of strands started delaminating from the face fabric. I'm not super stoked about that, but it was a pretty easy fix, just cut them and melt the ends tight again. That said, taking a lighter to a $300 pack to fix it seems ridiculous. Overall, I'm really psyched on the pack, but I also don't think that they're necessary for most applications.

As to your second question, I think it's the best carrying lightweight pack I've ever used. Carries better than Cilo packs IMO. I feel like the 3400 kinda maxed out at about 50 pounds of weight, which is more than I'd ever want to carry in it anyway. I have a friend who's carried 60+ pounds in the 4400 without complaint.

C Limenski · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

I have the dyneema summit pack and have used it for 95% of my day trips and 50% of my weekend trips for a couple years. Works great for absolutely anything where I don't need more than about 25l of space. Have taken it up chimneys in red rocks and Yosemite and aside from the dirt and some loose strands on a daisy-chain bar tack it looks like it did when i bought it.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I used the 4400 Ice Pack for a year.  It carried full loads very very well, probably my most comfortable pack to date for that size actually.  Durability was better than expected and craftsmanship was top notch.  The reason I got rid of it was the million straps that you need to undo and redo every time you want to grab a water bottle.  For that style of pack it is awesome; just didn't work for me.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 888

My wife has owned the wind river 40L for about 3 years now, and loves it. The large netting on the exterior carries odds and ends well in addition to functioning as an "on the go" trash can. She uses it for everything from a day of cragging to a weekend backpacking trip. It's a little small for longer overnight climbing trips for her, but ymmv.

r m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

The base has  two layers of fabric, so that'll help. Also the fabric is really easy to patch up. Tape sticks to it, and since the fabric doesn't stretch it says on.

My 4400 has maybe 5 weeks on it. Has a 20mm puncture from where it fell down a hill, and a hole through 1 layer of fabric from where the mushy head of a snow picket was rubbing.

Now my 30L metro I've been using daily around town, travelling, as my goto day pack. It's not all that white anymore, but it's also not damaged in any way that I can see.

They're really comfortable and supportive for me, a lot of that could be just learning to pack lighter and take lighter gear.

The killer feature for me, besides the weight, is that they are waterproof and don't soak up water. I never measured my canvas packs weight when wet, but I'm pretty sure it didn't get any lighter.

(Edit: Above refers to cuben fibre, would love woven dyneema but its a bit rich for me at the moment)

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I owned one of their standard 2400 Ice Packs for a few years. Carried super comfortably. Fair durability. I cut slices into both sides by strapping skis to it

I replaced it with one of their Dyneema Ice Packs. Much more durable. Same great carry. I soon after bought a second one. If you are talking about $500, then I assume you are talking about the Dyneema version, and they are extremely durable. You won't find anyone saying otherwise

Watch what this guy does to the fabric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VolERCETQ_U

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Looks like I’ll likwly be buying a pack.    

Richard Dana · · Eugene, OR · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 275

The 4400 Ice Pack with ski mod is probably in the top 5 pieces of gear I own. Incredibly durable, weighs nothing, carries up to 60 lb easily and comfortably, totally waterproof etc etc. Brought it up the West Rib on Denali last summer and couldn't have been happier with it. Definitely go for the 4400! Additional carrying capacity due to additional framesheet on the 4400s only, and increased durability with fabric reinforcement that's again only on the 4400s. Easily converts to a 30l daypack for day tours. Skis really well. Can't say enough about these packs.

Richard Dana wrote: The 4400 Ice Pack with ski mod is probably in the top 5 pieces of gear I own. Incredibly durable, weighs nothing, carries up to 60 lb easily and comfortably, totally waterproof etc etc. Brought it up the West Rib on Denali last summer and couldn't have been happier with it. Definitely go for the 4400! Additional carrying capacity due to additional framesheet on the 4400s only, and increased durability with fabric reinforcement that's again only on the 4400s. Easily converts to a 30l daypack for day tours. Skis really well. Can't say enough about these packs.

Hyperlite doesn’t do an adequate job of portraying what the ski option is-anyone have any pics?  I assume your just carrying skis a-frame of course-but is it worth $100 when it seems like I can carry skis a-frame as it is with the standard pack.  Thanks!!

Brian Abram wrote: I owned one of their standard 2400 Ice Packs for a few years. Carried super comfortably. Fair durability. I cut slices into both sides by strapping skis to it

I replaced it with one of their Dyneema Ice Packs. Much more durable. Same great carry. I soon after bought a second one. If you are talking about $500, then I assume you are talking about the Dyneema version, and they are extremely durable. You won't find anyone saying otherwise

Watch what this guy does to the fabric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VolERCETQ_U

Yeah.  That’s pretty impressive material.  

On the standard packs, the ski mod adds sleeves to the sides, and it replaces the standard Hybrid Cuben sides with the full woven Dyneema material so that ski edges don’t cut the pack. On the Dyneema packs, it adds sleeves only, as the sides are already Dyneema. That’s why the ski mod is cheaper on the Dyneema packs—all they have to do is add sleeves.

Yes, you can strap skis to the compression straps on the sides, but Dyneema on the sides is worth it. As I said earlier, ski edges sliced slits in my original standard Ice Pack. I personally see no reason to add the ski mod sleeves to the Dyneema version of the packs. And if you’re thinking about spending $100 on modding the standard pack, you should seriously consider spending $90 more for the full Dyneema pack 

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Nothing at all against HMG - I used to live in Maine and own two of their shelters. They make great stuff.

Just another option if you're spending that kind of $$ and know exactly what you want - a fully custom, made-to-order pack from https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/ 

Tony M · · Peabody, MA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
akafaultline wrote:

Hyperlite doesn’t do an adequate job of portraying what the ski option is-anyone have any pics?  I assume your just carrying skis a-frame of course-but is it worth $100 when it seems like I can carry skis a-frame as it is with the standard pack.  Thanks!!

I have to agree with this statement. Their website is lacking, and details on the products and options i feel is limited. I preffer, and i think i speak for a fair amount of gearheads. I prefer to see what im buying exactly, either be it a pile of nice photos or a detailed video from the manf. Especially when dropping this kind of coin on a product.  

That said i do like my summit pack aside from having to lash up all the loose strap ends. I will trim them some day. But then i would have nothing to complain about.  So for now they stay.  
Richard Dana · · Eugene, OR · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 275

Both the sides and entire bottom, as well as A-frame ski slots are made with fully woven Dyneema on the ski-mod version. Considering the price and incredible durability of fully woven Dyneema, I think it's a steal at only $100 to upgrade. 

How do the packs carry without load lifters?  Maybe I rely on load lifters more than others but I can’t imagine not using/having them. 

grubbers · · West Shore · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 0

I haven't had any massive, multi-day loads in my HMG pack, but I think it still carries quite well loaded up. I typically don't even use the aluminum stays either.

I've never used a true backpacking pack, but it hikes better than any climbing pack I've used. I've had 50 pounds in it.

If I had another suggestion, it would be to go for the 3400 size. The 2400 can be overstuffed pretty easily to about 50 liters, but it'll leave the top open and exposed to the elements. The 3400 can close when holding that much stuff, but it can still roll down to the same size as the 2400. There's no real drawback to the 3400 except another ounce or two. HMG will do the 3400 in full Dyneema if you call them.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5
akafaultline wrote: How do the packs carry without load lifters?  Maybe I rely on load lifters more than others but I can’t imagine not using/having them. 

I'm also skeptical. Looks like if the pack is at full capacity a lot of the load is above your shoulders. My ultralight backpacking pack doesn't have lifters, but it's frameless and I never carry more than 15-20lbs. I have them on all my climbing packs other than the little leader/summit packs. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

Anybody have long term use comments on durability on the non-upgraded 2400 or 3400? to upgrade to the fully woven dyneema on the 3400 porter takes it from $345 to $600. Really feeling hard to justify. I'm going to be moving to nepal at the end of this year and I want something that'll stand up to the abuse, but at $600 before shipping/extras, thats pretty brutal.

Also note, I won't be carrying skis. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Hyperlite packs? Durability, comfort?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started