Mountain Project Logo

Zipperless sleeping bag

Original Post
Melanie Shea · · Colorado Springs · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

Does anyone know of a company that makes a production zipperless down mummy bag in the 20-0 degrees Fahrenheit range or if not someone who would make a bag like that. I'm thinking something like the bag Ueli Steck used to use. https://youtu.be/M35ImYFpnA4

I know people make these them self but I don't think I have the skills to do that

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

Feathered friends vireo- I love it.  super versatile. In colder conditions you wear it with a puffy jacket, which acts as the hood.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

Nunatak would probably make you one.

I've looked at the vireo but wanted a hood

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
Greg Shea wrote: I've looked at the vireo but wanted a hood

Greg Shea wrote: I've looked at the vireo but wanted a hood

how do you physically get into a zipperless sleeping bag that has a hood? 

Brian Banta · · Pacifica, CA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 50

I know that Nunatak used to make a zipper-less Alpinist bag cause I tried a Demo one.... I can't quite remember if it had elastic or the opening was just cut a little wider.  It was difficult but possible to get into.   It was ridiculously lofty for a 20 deg bag!

mpech wrote:

how do you physically get into a zipperless sleeping bag that has a hood? 

Watch the video I linked it looks quite fun actually

rocknice2 wrote:

I get that you wear a hooded jacket with it, but having the hood as part of the bag increases heat retention

Tim Kemple · · Salt Lake · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 170

Greg, I just listed one.  It is not as warm as you described, but I think most would wear warm layers inside

Greg Shea wrote:

I get that you wear a hooded jacket with it, but having the hood as part of the bag increases heat retention

The vireo has a draw string to cinch the bag closed around neck level. Alternatively, for less warmth, you close it as pictured.

kemple sr. wrote: Greg, I just listed one.  It is not as warm as you described, but I think most would wear warm layers inside

Looks nice but definitely not warm enough, 20 degrees is on the edge of running too cold, thanks though

rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35

i have a big agnes one, 20 degree, a sleeping pad is supposed to slip sort of inside the thing, but I dont usually go through the trouble of sliding one in. the bag works fine in 20 degree weather with a rain fly on the tent. 20 degrees without the rain fly gets a little chilly. sometimes its a bit of a pain to clip the things to hold the top part closed, but I think less so than dealing with a zipper

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

I’d definitely just call feathered friends.  They’ve made me 3 different custom bags over the years.  They’ve added zippers, taken away zippers, added more down, and even took out down.  Always happy with what they made me.

Mikey Schaefer wrote: I’d definitely just call feathered friends.  They’ve made me 3 different custom bags over the years.  They’ve added zippers, taken away zippers, added more down, and even took out down.  Always happy with what they made me.

Thanks Mikey I'll probably do that.

-side note: Force was a good film
Kango L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

On the vireo note, I’m 5’8” and went for the long version. When cinched up over a down parka the bag comes snug above my shoulders and retains heat well.

Depending on your intended temps and thickness of belay parka you might want more fill in the top. I’ve got the standard 45/25 rated fill, with a base layer and fleece on top/legs, thin synth puffy, and montbell mirage it’s been comfy enough in the mid teens. I wouldn’t want to go below that. Xtherm pad on snow, single wall tent.

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120
Tricam Proselytist · · Moab, UT · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Why a zipperless sleeping bag vs a quilt? Quilt wise, my suggestion would be to look at Enlightened Equipment, Nunatak, Jacks R Better, Zpacks, and Katibatic Gear.

Drew L · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

RAB infinity SL bag was zipperless, but discontinued, though I did find one a couple years back and really like it. They don't give it a rating, but with a pad underneath (must use pad, no bottom down fill) and good layering I've stayed in it fine at 20F. Next winter I'll see how it fairs with even lower temps, but most people use it in warmer temps I believe. Weight is 15oz.

Nathan.H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

My wife and I each have a Vireo for lightweight trips and love them.  Very small and light.  I recommend getting a separate hood from Zpacks.  It weights like 1 oz and is warmer and more compact than a built in hood on a sleeping bag.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Zipperless sleeping bag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started