Mountain Project Logo

Gunks camping?

Original Post
Edek Falkowski · · Saranac Lake, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 780

I just called the Gunks AAC campground but they're apparently closed until April... So if I were to head out to the Gunks from WNY next week where would I camp?

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Just to respond. There’s really nothing. Most places open in April or May. If you don’t mind spending a couple more bucks there is the hostel in town ($30) and two hotels. Cheap hotel($60) and expensive hotel at $100. Or find quiet road and sleep in the car!  Good luck!  

Adam Hammer · · CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 509

If you’re not an AAC member, the hostel is the same price as the campground. Just always stay at the hostel. 

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

You can also check out hipcamp.com - Be prepared to think the AAC rates are reasonable, in comparison.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

airbnb?

James Sweeney · · Roselle Park, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

National Forest Service nearby?  Where's that?

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 66

I assume he means state land, not federal. Covered by rules at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html You can find any info you'd need there, including a map tool to find lands you can pull up specifics on, which indicate if "at-large primitive camping" is allowed.

That’s pretty far. I’d save the gas money and get a good shower in the hotel. 

Do raise a good point.  At this time of year we are all dying to do some multi day climbing and there is nowhere to pitch a tent! 

The dispersed camping near the Gunks is officially closed and if you are caught, expect a hefty fine. 

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974
DRusso wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113432809/free-camping-in-the-gunks?page=2

Check this thread worth reaching out to him.

Unfortunately, this was deemed illegal, and I'm pretty sure this guy stopped doing this. 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Adam Hammershoi wrote:

Unfortunately, this was deemed illegal, and I'm pretty sure this guy stopped doing this. 

Do you have any information on what about it was illegal or how he got in trouble?  I am asking because we are looking at buying a place up there, and I like this idea but don't want to make trouble for myself.

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

Do you have any information on what about it was illegal or how he got in trouble?  I am asking because we are looking at buying a place up there, and I like this idea but don't want to make trouble for myself.

I think it's the city of New Paltz that banned this, trying to make as much money as possible you know. I would verify this though. I'm not 100% on this 

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
keithconn wrote:

Do raise a good point.  At this time of year we are all dying to do some multi day climbing and there is nowhere to pitch a tent! 

I don’t know bout you but I’ve been climbing ice. I’m sad to see the ice melt. I suck at rock!

Anyone know if Sudha is still her thing?

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90
Bill Kirby wrote:

I don’t know bout you but I’ve been climbing ice. I’m sad to see the ice melt. I suck at rock!

Anyone know if Sudha is still her thing?

No. She rented it out to long term tenant now.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
Adam Hammershoi wrote:

I think it's the city of New Paltz that banned this, trying to make as much money as possible you know. I would verify this though. I'm not 100% on this 

They already charge absolutely bananas taxes.  That's really disappointing.  Sadly, you are most likely correct.  I got some PMs saying the 1 family zoning is strictly enforced.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Someone should start a religious cult! That’ll get around that stupid zoning. 

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

Oy veh.... That place(camping, as linked to other thread) was not even in New Paltz. I've heard of "executive overreach" but that would be a mighty long arm o' the law.

When it came up here on MP last year, I knew it was bandit, but kept my mouth shut for risk of being labeled a koolaid drinking, fun-ruining Miss BossyPants. 

- ''What was illegal?" Simply against local zoning ordinances.

- "How did he get in trouble?"  Though I can't know for certain, I would have zero doubt that some "actual" bossypants type person saw the posts here on MP and simply could not help themselves from alerting the authorities. In cases such as this one was - it's almost ALWAYS a citizen complaint that gets the bureaucratic ball rolling.  

Or, if they had campfires, someone driving past might have called in a fire, and there's potential that might have done it to, especially if it was a dry, windy night; the ind that brings to mind for firefighters the risk that comes with being called to manage wildfires.

HipCamp is probably not legal either, but it's kind of like the airbnb deal.  Until a municipality addresses the issue, it's whatever goes, goes.

Edit: And no offense intended, but if the guy who got NY Sate liquor laws changed so he could retail his distilled whiskey was unable to have people camp on his land for free(which he did, and which he couldn't do), I don't think there is much of a way around those laws. 

It was aslo Kerhonksen, where that (linked) place was located.  Not New Paltz, not Gardiner, but Kerhonksen. There's a lot of folks with money living up on the ridge - even in Kerhonksen nowadays, and they don't want no riff raff.  But it is true that one might be able to, by law, develop an intentional community(a/k/a religious cult).  However, if you've evern done even the smallest research into such a thing(I have), you would know that what they want from individuals as their "stake" is almost always cold, hard, cash. Doesn't matter of your a certified plumber willing to plumb the buildings in exchange.  The "free plumbing" would just be seen as an offset to the money paid.  Up front, if you please.

A Co-work space would get on the radar so fast you wouldn't put up your first flyer before beingcalled to the twon board to explain your intentions and get in line for the zoning beating you'd need to survive to proceed every step of the way.

Luc-514 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 12,536
Bill Kirby wrote:

Someone should start a religious cult! That’ll get around that stupid zoning. 

Lets call it Vulgarian-ism, easily recognized for the members lack of clothing.

Will Cohen · · Denver, Co · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 80

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/104628.html  ~25 minutes from the parking lot

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/104663.html ~45 minutes out 

These are probably your best bet unless you can nab someone's yard 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks camping?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started