We're hiring an experienced designer to join us in Boulder, CO.
Mountain Project Logo

Gunks camping?

Original Post
Edek Falkowski · · Buffalo, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 100

I just called the Gunks AAC campground but they're apparently closed until April... So if I were to head out to the Gunks from WNY next week where would I camp?

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Just to respond. There’s really nothing. Most places open in April or May. If you don’t mind spending a couple more bucks there is the hostel in town ($30) and two hotels. Cheap hotel($60) and expensive hotel at $100. Or find quiet road and sleep in the car!  Good luck!  

Adam Hammershoi · · Hartford, CT · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 185

If you’re not an AAC member, the hostel is the same price as the campground. Just always stay at the hostel. 

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60

You can also check outhipcamp.com - Be prepared to think the AAC rates are reasonable, in comparison.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

airbnb?

C c · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

There's nearby national forest land that allows dispersed camping

James Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 30

National Forest Service nearby?  Where's that?

JSH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 969

There's nearby national forest land that allows dispersed camping

I think you posted in the wrong thread?

MojoMonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 68

I assume he means state land, not federal. Covered by rules at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html You can find any info you'd need there, including a map tool to find lands you can pull up specifics on, which indicate if "at-large primitive camping" is allowed.

C c · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Sorry, brain fart, Vernooy Kill state forest. Thanks MojoMonkey!

That’s pretty far. I’d save the gas money and get a good shower in the hotel. 

Do raise a good point.  At this time of year we are all dying to do some multi day climbing and there is nowhere to pitch a tent! 

The dispersed camping near the Gunks is officially closed and if you are caught, expect a hefty fine. 

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 540
DRusso wrote:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113432809/free-camping-in-the-gunks?page=2

Check this thread worth reaching out to him.

Unfortunately, this was deemed illegal, and I'm pretty sure this guy stopped doing this. 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,070
Adam Hammershoi wrote:

Unfortunately, this was deemed illegal, and I'm pretty sure this guy stopped doing this. 

Do you have any information on what about it was illegal or how he got in trouble?  I am asking because we are looking at buying a place up there, and I like this idea but don't want to make trouble for myself.

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:

Do you have any information on what about it was illegal or how he got in trouble?  I am asking because we are looking at buying a place up there, and I like this idea but don't want to make trouble for myself.

I think it's the city of New Paltz that banned this, trying to make as much money as possible you know. I would verify this though. I'm not 100% on this 

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
keithconn wrote:

Do raise a good point.  At this time of year we are all dying to do some multi day climbing and there is nowhere to pitch a tent! 

I don’t know bout you but I’ve been climbing ice. I’m sad to see the ice melt. I suck at rock!

Anyone know if Sudha is still her thing?

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90
Bill Kirby wrote:

I don’t know bout you but I’ve been climbing ice. I’m sad to see the ice melt. I suck at rock!

Anyone know if Sudha is still her thing?

No. She rented it out to long term tenant now.

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,070
Adam Hammershoi wrote:

I think it's the city of New Paltz that banned this, trying to make as much money as possible you know. I would verify this though. I'm not 100% on this 

They already charge absolutely bananas taxes.  That's really disappointing.  Sadly, you are most likely correct.  I got some PMs saying the 1 family zoning is strictly enforced.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Someone should start a religious cult! That’ll get around that stupid zoning. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Gunks camping?"
in the Northeastern States