Mountain Project Logo

REI Dividend Day

Original Post
David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

Post what your REI Dividend was this year and feel those mixed feelings...

Mine is $455.33... :/

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739

You have me beat. I'm at $221.75

Edit to add: To be fair, though, we bought 2 bikes there last year, so I don't feel too bad.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
David Kerkeslager wrote:

Post what your REI Dividend was this year and feel those mixed feelings...

Mine is $455.33... :/

Jeez, what did you spend 4.5K on in a year ?

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Fehim Hasecic wrote:

if you have the rei credit card, you get dividends on purchases made anywhere (not just REI)

Fehim Hasecic wrote:

I didn't spend 4.5K, I have the REI credit card which gets you an additional 5% back on REI purchases. But I don't use that card anywhere except REI, so I did probably spend $3K...

I got a bunch of cams, 3 ropes (two were halfs), a few other climbing things, a bunch of biking stuff (though, not a bike itself), a few classes, a tent, jeans, hiking boots, baselayers, some classes, more beef jerky than I'm proud to admit...

I'll probably be spending a good chunk of $1K on just a WFR course in just a few days; that stuff adds up quickly.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Mine was $180, mostly from the non-REI purchases on my REI credit card. REI purchses were around $500.

Kirtis Courkamp · · Golden · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 378

0 $

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I got a bunch of cams, 3 ropes (two were halfs), a few other climbing things,

You bought climbing hardware at REI? You know you can always find gear on sale elsewhere. I would never pay full price/rei price for cams. 

Also, 81$

Cosmic Charlie · · Washington · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

$23.something.  prodeals, brah!

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215
David Kerkeslager wrote:

I didn't spend 4.5K, I have the REI credit card which gets you an additional 5% back on REI purchases. But I don't use that card anywhere except REI, so I did probably spend $3K...

I got a bunch of cams, 3 ropes (two were halfs), a few other climbing things, a bunch of biking stuff (though, not a bike itself), a few classes, a tent, jeans, hiking boots, baselayers, some classes, more beef jerky than I'm proud to admit...

I'll probably be spending a good chunk of $1K on just a WFR course in just a few days; that stuff adds up quickly.

I didn’t know that classes and services REI provides go toward your dividend, maybe it changed at some point. I have their card, but since nothing on sale counts toward dividend I just don’t shop there anymore. Also, comparably go other credit cards, it’s not as good IMO. Like Grog said, you can find climbing hardware way cheaper elsewhere. 

Fehim Hasecic wrote:

I didn’t know that classes and services REI provides go toward your dividend, maybe it changed at some point. I have their card, but since nothing on sale counts toward dividend I just don’t shop there anymore. Also, comparably go other credit cards, it’s not as good IMO. Like Grog said, you can find climbing hardware way cheaper elsewhere. 

Classes don't get you the normal 10% back on your dividend, but if you buy them on your REI credit card you get 5% back.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

$15.97 (I think I'm proud of myself?)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Eric wrote:

REI credit card blows (I used it for years) unless you make a habit of buying full price REI gear.

Huh? Yeah, it may only be 1% - 2% on non-REI purchases, but it's still free money. I put my monthly recurring charges on it - internet, cable, cell - as well as grocery and gas - all things I buy anyway, so why not get some of it back. If you can't pay off the card in full each month, then consider it a reduction in your interest rate (not entirely accurate since the cash back doesn't compound).

chris blatchley · · woodinville, wa · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 6

my rei dividend was about $91, but as far as credit cards with cash back go, i got a cool $500 with my discover card after they matched my rewards from the first year. i also redeemed $225 of that for $250 worth of rei gift cards so even better rewards. though now it's just 1% back, so probably time for a new credit card...

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Marc801 C wrote:

Huh? Yeah, it may only be 1% - 2% on non-REI purchases, but it's still free money.

It's 1% on non-REI purchases that can only be redeemed once a year. AND there is a 2% foreign transaction fee. I earned more rewards (as monthly statement credits) than the OP on my 1.5% on ANY purchase, no foreign transaction fee CC and I bet I spent less than the OP overall.

Jim Schloemer · · North Bend, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 326

$226.31

Kephas Petros · · Wisconsin · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 450

$19, I thought I spent more? Or maybe I just spent hours and hours walking around and never bought anything. But maybe it's a good thing that it's low 

Marc801 C wrote:

Huh? Yeah, it may only be 1% - 2% on non-REI purchases, but it's still free money. I put my monthly recurring charges on it - internet, cable, cell - as well as grocery and gas - all things I buy anyway, so why not get some of it back. If you can't pay off the card in full each month, then consider it a reduction in your interest rate (not entirely accurate since the cash back doesn't compound).

Well... that's fine, but you can get more "free money" with other cards. I have an airline card that gets me back 3% on all purchases, 4% on some select purchases, 5% on some hotels and car rentals, and 10% back from the airline. A lot of my expenses go on that, and I fly rarely enough that when I fly I fly for free.

The REI card is fine, it's just that with store-specific cards it's only worthwhile to use them at the store. The REI card gets you back 5% on every purchase at REI (including sales, classes, and REI Garage). Similarly my Amazon card gets me back 5% on Amazon purchases, etc. I don't use my REI or Amazon cards anywhere except REI or Amazon, because I get better cash back from my Airline card.

Of course none of this works out in your favor if you run any balance over each month and end up paying interest.

And in a societal sense, it's not free money even if you don't pay any interest. Retailers pay a fee (usually 3%) when you pay with your card, and they're passing that cost on to you in their pricing.

Andrew Davidson · · Lake Stevens, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,560

$101.33 with the card. I feel the AmazonPrime would be a lot better deal. and besides, its metal.

hangontightly letgolightly · · Unknown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 10

$2.08 ya boi!

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

every dividend season, this exact thread turns into people arguing about whether or not the REI CC is good or not....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "REI Dividend Day"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started