Mountain Project Logo

Idaho Ice? You bet!

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Got out for a first run at ice this weekend.....

At the start, working it out.

Stopped just a bit above this, to lower. We bushwhacked 380 miles in, so I had to save a bit of knee action to hike back out.

...and I had a great time! Now to get my mountaineer friend over!

The important part, thanks so much to:

Boots, courtesy of Chuckles and Tony, Charlet Moser super 12 crampons loaned by Bob (boy howdy, have these pons got a proud history!), ski pants, jacket, various other parts from Backcountry Pursuit, helmet from Mountain Project (this is it's first trip out!), and....

...so, so many of you for the kindness, friendship, and stoke. I am awestruck by the people who call themselves "climber". The people are truly why I keep going at all. But. N., the best friend I've ever had in my life most particularly, and my newest friend, Kevin, "one of the top alpinists in Idaho right now" (quote from our mutual friend, Kevin, so take it to heart). 

Birthday is still a week and a half out, and yes, at almost 61, and newish to the whole thing, I am pretty darn proud of this one.

Love to all of ya, if I can take a shot at it, anyone can, whatever the "it" may be. That's why I post these, to help stoke up my family.

Best, Helen

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Congrats on your first ice climb Helen! This location was also my first climb and I instantly became hooked. Its an awesome spot and I'm glad to see its still in with the recent warm temps we've been receiving. It was in bad shape a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping for another cold snap soon.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Glad you liked it! It's a whole new world out there in the winter and an amazing one at that. Congratulations on your first time out!

Thanks! I tried to add ice to my "what I climb" bit on my page, but they don't have it. :-/ 

So, no, I don't lead ice, lol, but hey, it's gotta be on there somehow! 

Blake, I'm super hoping for getting a friend here later this month,but it's supposed to be even warmer. Strange winter. We left about 2:30, and by then it was sunny up top, and definitely more running water, and snow sloughing off the rock. The experienced ones were quite pleased with the ice though. 

To the east coast crew? Holy heck! Your temps have been brutal. It was barely below freezing when we set out, and above on the drive home.

Best, Helen

Klimbien · · St.George Orem Denver Vegas · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 455

Love those BD tools! Got a set of the exact ones! Keep climbing Lady H!

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Cool! That 380mi hike in must have been a killer   

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Great to hear you had a good day out on ice Helen!

Josh Kautz · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Great pictures - love the Idaho Ice love! Was this anywhere near the Sawtooth Mountains? Keep up the great work!!

Thanks all!

Honestly? Being on a real rope is the stoke for me, been stuck in the climbing gym forever, it seems. Even top rope outside, beats anything in, although taking a shot at leading in the gym, with real falls, had me grinning like a fool. And, 380 miles was a slight exaggeration.

This is actually one of about five little bits of ice in the desert outside of Boise. The "waterfalls" are snowmelt into canyons. We don't have much for water here (11" annual precip for Boise, less out where we were, I'm guessing).

So, ice around here needs some snow, and freeze/thaw cycles to build  the ice. Not like you folks elsewhere, who have water that just needs freezing. It's pretty ephemeral, and I really lucked out to be asked. Even more, the quality of who graciously took me out.

It's raining and in the forties now, so that might be it for our season. :-(

The tools aren't mine, but they felt pretty comfy! My old hands were so happy to just hold  something, not really grab. Hanging on the side of my hand is sweet! The guy who owns those tools got to try something more technical, and was then lusting after someone else's tools! Climbers are such nice people.

Best, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Idaho Ice? You bet!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started