Mountain Project Logo

Identify this rope!

Original Post
Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

This is a tricky one...

I bought this rope for a steal to use as a gym rope but it has no label so I have no idea what it is. Now I'm dying to find out!

Here are some clues:

• The person I bought it from claims it is a Mammut rope but does not remember for sure
  •  It's 60m long (I actually measured it)
  • It's about 11mm thick
  • It's all one pattern with no middle marker
  • It might have come with the rope bag in the picture

I scoured the internet and couldn't identify it. I'm just super curious what kind of rope it is. Is it static or dynamic? How much was the original price? Is it a dry rope? WHAT IS IT?!

Alvin Tham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

Indeed tricky. Wish Mammut have an archive for all those rope produced for our references. I have Mammut Tusk, green in colour can’t recall the diameter. I could not find their specifications online anymore. 

I think thats very rare for climbing dynamic rope which is 11mm plus. 

Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I came across something really interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/comments/2grjdo/easy_test_to_determine_is_static_or_dynamic_rope/

Apparently you can cut 6-8in off the end of the rope, remove the cover, and in the core there is some plastic strip that has some details like some UIAA or AS standards?

but Alvin you have a good point. . . I'm going to email Mammut to see if they know anything before I sacrifice a bit of the rope! 

Stephen, do keep us posted on your findings. Let’s see how many unscrupulous seller out there trying to kill us. 

Andy Burt · · Sugar Hill, GA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 0

Don’t assume that your rope is actually considered to be 11mm. Officially, it’s likely rated less. Dynamic rope diameter is measured on a weighted sample.

http://www.mytendon.com/how-are-ropes-tested

tim · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 507

Not sure about all ropes but most do have the identifier strip running along with the core strands. You may have to cut and strip a couple feet though to see it. 

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56
Stephen C wrote:

Now I'm dying to find out!

Oh the irony in that statement!   YGD

Adam Bjeldanes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I’m pretty sure I heard that if the rope has only one or two different colors it is static and if the rope has three or more colors, it is dynamic. 

Adam Bjeldanes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Also, if the core of the rope is twisted it is dynamic. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Adam Bjeldanes wrote:

I’m pretty sure I heard that if the rope has only one or two different colors it is static and if the rope has three or more colors, it is dynamic. 

Nonsense. Hundreds of 2-color dynamic ropes out there. And dynamic and static both come in solid colors too.

brenta · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 75
Gunkiemike wrote:

Nonsense. Hundreds of 2-color dynamic ropes out there. And dynamic and static both come in solid colors too.

There are indeed 1- and 2-color dynamic ropes, but here's what the UIAA says: "Low stretch ropes shall be marked as follows: (a) The sheath shall have one main colour, which shall be at least 80 % of the visible surface (any colour is possible). (b) Contrasting spiral threads are allowed, spiralling in one direction only, having a maximum of two colours."

Source

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

Could be a mammut?  keep in mind that some ropes diameters are measured when elongated to capacity and some are not.  It also looks in really good shape so you should easily tell if it's dynamic or not by just feeling for stretch.  

Or just take a big whipper and if it breaks your back, then it's static!

John Wilder wrote:

All diameters are measured the same way, but manufacturers can round those measurements by 0.2mm in either direction, which makes grams per meter a better indicator of how thick or thin a rope is. Mammut tends to round down, meaning their ropes tend to measure thicker than advertised. 

Good to know. thanks!

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 973

Awwww. Looks like Stephen didn’t got a good deal after all. 

Mark LaPierre · · spencer, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 70
caughtinside wrote:

I think my girlfriend bought that rope in 2004, it was the bottom end Mammut 10.5 and came with that poorly designed rope bag.  I think it was $100-$120 back then, and it is definitely dynamic.

i bought a similar rope  but in brown at REI about the same time has served me well for years i know the bag is the same came with a small tarp with logo over most of it

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Identify this rope!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started