Mountain Project Logo

Backing up a swivel.

Original Post
LL Biner · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Kip Kasper · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 200

No. 

Nathan Hui · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Well, your anchor shouldn't be twisting up if you're just doing laps on it.  My suggestion is to fix the anchor - make sure it's tied flat (no twists in any legs/loops) and you don't tangle the ropes as you go.

There's no way to back up a swivel that is constantly turning without getting it all tangled up.  If it's only twisting back and forth (aka no full turns), then you can just run a sling as a backup.

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 0

Trust me, you absolutely do not need to invent a new system to rig a toprope.

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

The trolls are getting more inventive these days... 3/10

Roamin' Buffalo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 50

That's a coil in the rope that won't be solved by incorporating a swivel. Also... NO. The reason nobody does this: It's a terrible idea.

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652

My preference is to thread the rope directly through the swivel and use that as the masterpoint

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Nolan Huther wrote:

My preference is to thread the rope directly through the swivel and use that as the masterpoint

Swivels can be placed as passive protection if you're crafty.

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652
NegativeK wrote:

Swivels can be placed as passive protection if you're crafty.

I'm wondering if any of you people that like using swivels, or did at one point, ever thought of replacing them with Tricams instead?

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

try and say "swivel would swivel" fast 10 times

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Twisting and swivels mean it’s time to pull the rope and TR gangbang another route 

LL Biner · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0
Nathan Hui · · San Diego, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Yea, even twists in the rope shouldn't make a difference.

If you're getting actual twists in the rope, then what's probably happening is that your climbers are climbing over and under the belay strand, thus adding twists to the entire system.  Otherwise, the "twist" of the system ought to be reset to correct every time someone reaches the anchor and lowers back down.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50
mario molina wrote:

I think the problem was that people weren't paying attention and making sure there were no twists in the rope.

This.

The problem is people are inattentive due to lack of knowledge. One cannot be attentive to the topic they have no knowledge on. The idea of fixing the incompetence through inventing yet another mechanical system sounds a bit off. The idea of fixing the incompetence through educating people sounds like a plan. Always strive to fix the root cause of the problem.

upd. Yet another thing. Educate people to always fix rope ends when climbing outside. With a bit of wind non-fixed rope ends could be blown away in a fraction of a second.

upd2. When climbing outside one has to be very patient, and very demanding, and even a bit nuisance. Push 'em to keep everything and anything in a perfect ordung (not "like perfect" - like perfect order means no order at all) - ropes ends are fixed, there are left and right strands of each rope, the left strand always goes to the left, the right strand always goes to the right. Everybody's belongings are nice organized and packed inside one's pack when not used. Nobody mixes theirs belongings with anybody's else. Etc, etc, etc. At first it seems to be dull and stupid although it makes a good habit to have everything sorted. Once it will save the day. And I mean it - will. There is no such a thing as too much discipline when climbing.

Nut Tool · · Portland, OR · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Thread drift: what are y'all using swivels for?

Nut Tool wrote:

Pig hauling.

Z-systems arrangement when lowering down cut trees tips and heavy branches (actually we use Rock Exotica Omni-Block double pulleys with integrated swivel).

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Nathan Hui wrote:

Yea, even twists in the rope shouldn't make a difference.

If you're getting actual twists in the rope, then what's probably happening is that your climbers are climbing over and under the belay strand, thus adding twists to the entire system.  Otherwise, the "twist" of the system ought to be reset to correct every time someone reaches the anchor and lowers back down.

Scenario - the climb is steep at the bottom, much less so towards the top, and the belayer is standing back from the wall. Climber moves sideways low on the route, passing UNDER the belayer's strand because it's well out behind them. Near the top they move back the other way, this time passing OVER the belayer's strand since it's now lying against the face. They lower down, next climber repeats this same maneuver. Voila - several wraps of the climber's strand around the other.

T Maino · · Mount Pleasant, SC · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 5
Nut Tool wrote:

Haul bags

Alvin Tham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Nut Tool wrote:

Fishing

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Backing up a swivel."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started