Mountain Project Logo

new here and need a ascender

Original Post
Ben Fischer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

new to climbing. 

i have a mine shaft on my property and i want to go check it out only issue is getting out. 

i never used any ascenders before..

any help with the easyest and quickest ascenders out there please.

Ben

Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

I think "Yer gonna die" is appropriate here. Are you at least taking a canary? I don't know where you are, but abandoned mine shafts have killed numerous people around here that were unaware of the hazards. Are there people near you who have experience doing this that you could reach out to?

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Ben Fischer wrote:

new to climbing. 

i have a mine shaft on my property and i want to go check it out only issue is getting out. 

Ben

lol.

I am gonna say this one time and one time only. You are an idiot for going into an abandoned mine.

Caves are geologically stable, created over millions of years as water (usually) has carved the rock.

A mine was made to collapse, and is inherently intended to return to closed.

Hope you don't die.

Get into Caving if you want real adventure.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Not that I'm trying to encourage you either way but do what you want. Climbtech makes cheaper ones than most companies.  Read up on how to use it properly: you'll need more than a hardware store rope and your new ascenders to get back out. Safe travels.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

First mistake is thinking your only issue is about how to get out. If you don't even know that you are going to die in a cave.

Kevin Mcbride · · Canmore AB · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 505
Ben Fischer wrote:

new to climbing. 

Ben

I'm going to be honest. You are dumb as rocks if you go in any abandoned mine. There's a good chance you will die, and if do everybody will not be suprised and will likely refer to you as "that dipshit who died of stupidity". Don't fuck with mines dude, please.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
Kevin Mcbride wrote:

...You are dumb as rocks if you go in any abandoned mine...

*Without proper precautions/training/equipment/experience.

Gases can kill you.  

Unstable ground can kill you.

Rotten timbers can break sending you tumbling down some long forgotten winze and result in death.

Old powder can detonate and kill you.

Not a place to learn rope ascending techniques for all the reasons above and more.

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

Look for a red one, they're generally the best. Make sure it's red mind, not salmon or tyrian purple. 

Auden Alsop · · Berkeley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 401

Please listen to (almost) everyone who already posted. Mineshafts will kill you, and you will definitely be needing more than a rope and singular ascender regardless.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

2/10

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

It's hilarious that some of you people think this is a serious question....

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0
Max Rausch wrote:

It's hilarious that some of you people think this is a serious question....

AGREED! 

Auden Alsop · · Berkeley · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 401

Hahahaha. I've been trolled. That was better than some of the ones I've seen recently.

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

The real question is what do those people responding to your post know about your mine that you don't? Obviously they're a bunch of SJW Libtards who want to control your own access to your own land. Next, they'll be forcing you to gay marry and adopt McCain's illegitimate black child. That, or they're a bunch of pirates who are going to sneak into your mine with hardware store rope at night to steal your uranium deposits. 

PS. you can use your shoelaces as prussics to ascend out of your uranium mine to return to your husband and illegitimate adopted child. 

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423

As previously stated, it's extremely dangerous to go into an abandoned mine. But if you insist on doing this, make sure that someone knows where you are and when you're coming back, so they can call help. Whether you should actually expect help is another story, but you probably want someone at least making an educated decision on whether to risk their life to save yours.

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32

Ben this sounds cool. Shoot me a private message where you generally live. If you are near me I'll come help you out with this and bring my gear. I can even bring an air monitor. 

Rudy Chavira · · Taylorsville. Ut · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I lived in mining town, be advised find your excitement elsewhere, stay out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to " new here and need a ascender"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started