Mountain Project Logo

Boot help: LS Nepal or Acrux AR's

Original Post
Overshot03 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 95

I am looking for a new pair of boots for all-mountain New England use.  Looking at the Nepal Cube and the Arcteryx Acrux AR.  I have tried on the Nepal and think the fit is pretty dialed in.  I have not tried on the Acrux and probably can't other that ordering from BC.com. I would say I tend to definitely run warm and would like to use these for some of the colder north east objectives on  the future.  Is the Nepal going to be a bit more durable long term?  If warranty was an issue, do you think either company will back them accordingly? Any input is welcomed!  

Brent D · · New England · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 279

If you like the fit of the Nepal the acrux may not fit well. I have been climbing in nepals for the past three years. Tried on acrux last season and was surprised how uncomfortable they were for me after 5 minutes. Nepals will also be more durable, imo. 

If you are after a boot warmer than the Nepal my suggestion would be to check out the G5 or g2 sm instead. 

Clint Helander · · Anchorage, AK · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612

Nepal EVOs will be the most durable. Nepal Ice Cubes will be lighter but less durable than the indestructable EVOs. Acrux is a great boot, but may be more niche than the Nepals.

Overshot03 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 95

Good input. 

As far as the warmth, as long as I can get by at 15 F below when moving I'll be ok.  My feet do run exceptionally warm so I think I can get by with a little less insulation that some people.

Not sure durability is at the top of my list, but it definitely counts.  Anyone have any comments on the Acrux durability? Thanks! 

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I’ve used my nepal cubes to -15 f overnight climbs and cragging.  I personally use a warmer boot for any colder temps at a longer duration.  For me, ideally the nepal should be used to around 0 f-but I have cold feet.  If you have warm feet you’ll have no probs at all. 

AaronP · · colorado springs co · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 55

I’ve climbed in both.

Acrux-Multi day/long days your feet will be happy in a double boot for sure. It’s a low volume double boot so it doesn’t feel cumbersome.They climb great, super warm and are very comfortable to walk in. For durability...some of the first boots made have a known issue as far as the front rand delaminating. Called Arcteryx within  30 minutes I had a shipping label via email and received a brand new pair of boots within 3 days. So buy one cry once, dead bird customer service is second to none, If that is also important too you when dropping a lot of pesos for some boots. from my experience La Sportiva has “good” customer service, but Arc’teryx is spot on.

NEPALS- good at nothing, will work for anything. Durability ...those boots are built like tanks, thick leather, burly rand. With out a doubt they will be more durable than ACRUX boots.

I have used the procline ski boot aswell, it’s my opinion that sportiva and arcteryx fit interchangeable.

Just my opinion, try both of them, go in the afternoon get your socks you climb with and kick around and find the boot that’s right for you, short answer is both are good.

Hope that helps.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Boot help: LS Nepal or Acrux AR's"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started