Mountain Project Logo

Recommendations for a Reliable Thermos?

Original Post
Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Hi eveyone,

Anyone have a reliably leak-proof thermos they would recommend for stowing in a pack? (I've had a couple of disappointments.) Don't need a flip top for drinking, but it would be nice to have the lid attached somehow. One less thing to drop.  

Thanks,

marco

Dan CO · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 60

I picked up one of the GSI bottles at REI recently because my SIGG thermos was so unnecessarily big and heavy.  The GSI bottles are really light and good size for coffee/tea for 1, I haven't put it to the test on really long days, but I burned my mouth on coffee after a good 4 hours in my pack with temps in the teens.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

I had a hydroflask in the past.  I was underwhelmed by its heat retention.  I currently have a Yeti and am similarily unimpressed.  So while  I cannot give you a positive option, I encourage you not to buy either of those. Hope you find a good one!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Hydroflask.

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47

The 16oz Nissan Thermos with the flip top keeps things hot forever but occasionally leaks a few drop on when shaken around on my bike commute. 32oz hydroflask doesn't keep things hot as long but also doesn't seem to leak.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Zojirushi thermoses have incredible heat retention.

(Thermos is actually a brand name)

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286
Jack C. wrote:

I had a hydroflask in the past.  I was underwhelmed by its heat retention.  I currently have a Yeti and am similarily unimpressed.  So while  I cannot give you a positive option, I encourage you not to buy either of those. Hope you find a good one!

I have several hyrdroflasks and had to send one back for replacement.  It's vacuum was compromised, there was a hole in the bottom of the flask under the tag.  I get the feeling that this is a pretty common problem. So far I am a little happier with Kleen Canteen.  

Calvin Lee · · Bristol, NH · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

Whatever brand you decide on, make sure it's sized appropriately. When your thermos is much bigger than the amount of liquid you normally fill it with, the extra space inside makes it cool down a lot faster every time you open it.

Also I've never had my hydroflask leak on me. The old style lid is secured to the bottle, too.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246
Dave Kos wrote:

Zojirushi thermoses have incredible heat retention.

I can never spell it correctly without cheating, but I've never been as happy with a thermos as I am with my zojirushi.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I lose mine too much to buy anything fancy. I bought one from the grocery store. It’s called Quench. It’s has a pop top lid and doesn’t leak. Sounds like what you’re after. Hit the grocery store. I could post a picture if you care.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 300

I have a Zoji and it's great for heat retention, but it's also pretty pricey. A couple weeks ago I bought a 2-pack insolated bottle from Costco with a simple screw-top design. I took one climbing a couple of times and found that it worked pretty well. The screw-top is leak proof, and at roughly $7 a bottle I don't feel too bad dropping it or get it all beat up in my pack.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

Stanley heat retention is pretty great. They have a variety of models to fit your size/feature requirements

Peter Y · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

The Thermos stainless steel food jars have been pretty decent. Once put some boiling hot soup in at 7 AM, forgot to eat it for lunch, and opened it still steaming at 9 PM. 24oz for about $28 at target

reboot · · . · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 125
Warrior wrote:

+3 for "Zoji"

+4

It's kind of amazing how low profile those things are (exterior vs interior volume) yet have such good insulation property.

Marco Velo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Wow. Thanks for all the  intel/suggestions, everyone. Guess I'm not alone in the search. The Zoji screw top sounds like what I might be looking for. I'll also check out the Stanley, Nissan, and Hydroflask. My wife has one of the latter, and they don't recommend the dishwasher, at least on some model, I believe. Not a huge disincentive, but a tad fussy. My guess it is about the coating. Anyone tried one in the DW?

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

The cheap but quite heave Stanley Thermos works great. It’s not a very good option if your looking for something light weight but if the appoarch is not long it’s prefect. Ours has never leaked. 

RockinOut · · NY, NY · Joined May 2010 · Points: 100

+1 for the Nissan Thermos. Picked one up in Rock and Snow I believe. I've had it for years now. Keeps everything hot for the day and luke warm til the next day...in below 0 temps.  I also pre heat the inside. throw some boiling ater in there before adding w.e it is your drinking

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Vote corkcicle here’s the scoop we did a little experiment with corkcicle and hydro flask 

32oz ea filled the boiled water add chocolate had then exposed outside set in snow overnight temps drop to -5 f   Exposed for 6 hrs the hydro flask was still nice and hot and drinkable the corkcicle was still to hot to drink so for heat retention go with corkcicle  also never had one leak 

Easy Cheese · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Jon Frisby wrote:

Stanley heat retention is pretty great. They have a variety of models to fit your size/feature requirements

Stanley!!! It's so good, it keeps the coffee warm, and it doesn't leak! Dishwashered a buncha times and has held up great. 

Scottmx426 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 0

Swell brand work really well. amazing it keeps ice solid for 2 days. And hot liquids for 24 hours. Trick... pour boiling water in the thermos swirl around to heat the metal and dump before adding your beverage of choice. They come in wide mouth but the bottle style pours nicely and is leak proof  up to 750mL  

Al Pine · · Shawangadang, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

The cheapo steel REI branded vacuum bottle for coffee/tea etc keeps my drinks hot even after a full day of winter hiking. The Thermos brand vacuum container for hot lunches puts hydroflask to shame. Although neither have lids that attach. +1 for heating up the inside with boiling water first.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Recommendations for a Reliable Thermos?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started