Mountain Project Logo

Metolius #000 discontinued?

Original Post
Gordy Schafer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 193

Anyone know the story on the 000 (green)?

Can't find it for sale anywhere, or any info stating it was discontinued.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

No idea, but I've pondered getting one from time to time for those teeny tiny aid placements. 

Matt Pierce · · Poncha Springs, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 312

I heard awhile back they had stopped making the fat cams - although are making them again?...not sure that helps you though

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 635

Just get the silver c3.  Same ultra-tiny size range.

Anyone have an idea as to WHY it is no longer made?

Pnelson wrote:

Thanks though

John Wilder wrote:

I'd imagine if you called or emailed Metolius and asked, they'd tell you. They're super cool folks and are usually really good about talking with their customers. 

Thanks John, sent an email. I will post what they say!

Tom Sherman · · Austin, TX · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 433

The U-stem is an absolute shite design for micro cams. Anyone who has owned a blue metolious or smaller would likely agree. Are they still selling the #000 in the Mastercam series?

Tom Sherman wrote:

The U-stem is an absolute shite design for micro cams. Anyone who has owned a blue metolious or smaller would likely agree. Are they still selling the #000 in the Mastercam series?

Would be nice to have a 000 mastercam, as far as i know that was never an option.
That said, TCU's certainly have their place, & they are lighter. (Even lighter than the new ultralight mastercams).

I have used the micro masters & TCUs extensively, & have fallen A LOT on both. The TCU's hold up really well to abuse.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Sad to see the 000 go, if that has become its fate. On the other hand, Ballnuts. 

Metolius' response:

"They have been discontinued. Unfortunately the tiny cam was just too delicate to function for
very long, the springs couldn't take repeated loading."

Bummer!

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Rob T wrote:

And this is why i cringe when I hear whining about reasonable limitations in gear. 

Specialty pieces(VG’s, tiny cams, micro nuts) are usually low margin products. It doesn’t take much time spent on customer complaints to tip the profitability on these to the negative, then killing them off is just easier than fielding complaints. 

Guess we get the gear market we deserve. 

Well you could argue that the CS rep is getting paid regardless of whether he is reading complaints about 000s or not and it's extremely likely Metolius had to hire on more staff just because of the addition of 000s. I dont really envision Metolius getting waves of angry climbers complaining about the 000s anyway. I dident even know a 000 existed and I used to work at a gear shop that sold Metolius for a long time. You learn something new every day I guess. Maybe they should bring them back, but in a Master Cam version.

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

I was going to suggest Wild Country Zeros.  Green(#2) is the size of a #000 Metolius and Purple(#1) is even smaller.

But it seems they have gone out of production too!  I'll hang onto my Green!

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
patto wrote:

I was going to suggest Wild Country Zeros.  Green(#2) is the size of a #000 Metolius and Purple(#1) is even smaller.

But it seems they have gone out of production too!  I'll hang onto my Green!

Yeah the Zeros are awesome if you can managed to find them. Unfortunately, the larger sizes (red,blue,yellow which are equivilent to yellow through purple TCUs) are lot easier to find than than the smaller ones.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Metolius #000 discontinued?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started