Mountain Project Logo

30cm sling uses

Original Post
Lawrence Roper · · Clarksville, TN · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

What do you guys use a 30cm sling for? I use them every now and then but I have a few extra that I want to do something with. 

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I find dogbones of that length (not open slings, but actual sewn dogbones) good for long quickdraws. It's much easier to clip a draw to a piece than an open sling in the middle of a hard move, so having a few long actual quickdraws is a good idea regardless if you climb sport or trad.

Tavish Hansen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 840

I have acquired a couple of them over time and they are great for organizing a ton various climbing gear when not in use.

Tavish Hansen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 840

Other than that, absolutely nothing..

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/News/2014-10-22/What-s-in-Colin-Haley-s-Pack-

"Four “alpine quickdraws”: I put these “alpine quickdraws” together using 24cm ST’ANNEAU slings and ANGE S biners. Of course, they aren’t as easy to clip as an ANGE FINESSE quickdraw for sports action, but they’re a bit longer to reduce rope drag, and have the advantage of versatility—they can be girth-hitched or clove-hitched, for instance."

Parker D · · BC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 60

Generally don't use them climbing, but use them all the time in my work for adventure course building (ziplines etc). They're great to tie klemheists onto 3/8" and 1/2" cable for rigging, other than that the only time I've used them climbing are for an extending a rappel. (mostly cause it was the closest and easiest piece I had to do so)

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Conrad Anker used a pile of them on Winter Dance. But that is likely specific route racking, to minimize drag on M-Hard.
I use them to rack draws or tape them to water bottles for a clip in point.

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Rappel extension

Also good to use instead of quickdraws on wandering sport routes. Or to extend trad gear on straightforward routes

LCC kid · · SLC · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Rappel extension, racking gear before tossing it inside a backpack, miniature leash for a short piolet, half sized alpine draws, and I also use one combined with a biner to cinch a rope to my backpack.

All that said I wish I could trade in most of my 30cm slings for 60cm ones

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

I use them as a handle in combination with some cord to make dog leashes that I can girth hitch to my beagles harness since she can escape from leash clips, carabiners and even a mallion. Other than that I never use them except for organizing gear.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

To extend nuts when I want to minimize fall distance. They are short enough to not add much length to a fall but the open sling gives you a lot of flexibility. They are great for placing a nut above a ledge. 

I don't usually use an autoblock on rappel but when I do, these are great for it. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

^ +1...if you're not extending your rappel device, and you are rigging a backup off your leg loop, this is the perfect length for a klemheist...presuming it's a nylon sling.

Erik · · Goose Creek, SC · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

I use one on my backup device for TR soloing. That way it sits a little above my knees instead of at my feet when climbing.

Serge S · · Seattle, WA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 686

2-bolt anchors.

Jfriday1 · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

hang ice tools on the 30cm in the garage to train on.  Thats about it lol.

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

I bought two and have used them pretty much exclusively for racking gear.  Perhaps I used them on a two bolt anchor once or twice.  I don't forsee myself buying any more.

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

I rack trad gear on one, sport gear on another for organization. Also, I like to carry 4-6 30cm slings with one carabiner on them for extending cams. This gets me an extension that's equal to a long quickdraw, but with a single biner and no need to unravel anything when placing a cam. I also have plenty of alpine draws (60cm), but the short slings with one biner help save some weight, and it seems to be what I need on about half of my cam placements. I used to steal 4, half of a Quickdraw from my sport rack, but got tired of taking everything apart and putting them back together. Not a huge effort, but enough if youre sport and gear climbing at the same crag. 

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
Ma Ja wrote: I rack trad gear on one, sport gear on another for organization. Also, I like to carry 4-6 30cm slings with one carabiner on them for extending cams. This gets me an extension that's equal to a long quickdraw, but with a single biner and no need to unravel anything when placing a cam. I also have plenty of alpine draws (60cm), but the short slings with one biner help save some weight, and it seems to be what I need on about half of my cam placements. I used to steal 4, half of a Quickdraw from my sport rack, but got tired of taking everything apart and putting them back together. Not a huge effort, but enough if youre sport and gear climbing at the same crag. 

I love the petzl 25cm slings for this purpose. Do you have the slings bunched up on your harness or just let them hang?

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695
Dr Strangelove wrote:

I love the petzl 25cm slings for this purpose. Do you have the slings bunched up on your harness or just let them hang?

[<-30cm, 60cm alpine draw->] 

All of my 60cm are set in an alpine draw and need to be undone, if they need to be fully extended, but the 30cm slings are just fully hanging (they're about the size of a normal draw) . This makes it easy to use the Cam's racking biner combined with the single biner on the sling. I probably would have never bought these, they were sort of mistakenly given to me, but I like them a lot. I don't need any standard sport Quickdraws at all with this setup. 

Shane Rosanbalm · · Chapel Hill, NC · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 321

We have a lot of horizontal placements where I climb, which sometimes results in the carabiner on the cam/tricam/hex landing right on the lip, which would be bad for the carabiner if you fell on it. I usually carry a couple of 30 cm slings and basket hitch then on the piece to keep the carabiner away from the lip.

C W · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I usually carry two as a long quickdraw/short alpine draw.  They are nice sometimes sport climbing on bolts that would otherwise put a carabiner where I don’t want it or a little extension will be nice.  Trad climbing I’ll use them when I need a bit of extension and in my head I tell myself that this will move the piece less than a regular drawl.  But maybe not.  I seem to use them more on nuts than cams.  Either way two is plenty for what I do and I don’t plan to add to the collection.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "30cm sling uses"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started