Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

30cm sling uses

Original Post
Lawrence Roper · · Clarksville, TN · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

What do you guys use a 30cm sling for? I use them every now and then but I have a few extra that I want to do something with. 

Rob T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 10

Imo, perfect size for holding a rack of draws. Beyond that, occasional route specific extension. 

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

I find dogbones of that length (not open slings, but actual sewn dogbones) good for long quickdraws. It's much easier to clip a draw to a piece than an open sling in the middle of a hard move, so having a few long actual quickdraws is a good idea regardless if you climb sport or trad.

Tavish Hansen · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 135

I have acquired a couple of them over time and they are great for organizing a ton various climbing gear when not in use.

Tavish Hansen · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 135

Other than that, absolutely nothing..

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 865

https://m.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/News/2014-10-22/What-s-in-Colin-Haley-s-Pack-

"Four “alpine quickdraws”: I put these “alpine quickdraws” together using 24cm ST’ANNEAU slings and ANGE S biners. Of course, they aren’t as easy to clip as an ANGE FINESSE quickdraw for sports action, but they’re a bit longer to reduce rope drag, and have the advantage of versatility—they can be girth-hitched or clove-hitched, for instance."

Parker D · · BC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 60

Generally don't use them climbing, but use them all the time in my work for adventure course building (ziplines etc). They're great to tie klemheists onto 3/8" and 1/2" cable for rigging, other than that the only time I've used them climbing are for an extending a rappel. (mostly cause it was the closest and easiest piece I had to do so)

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,113

Conrad Anker used a pile of them on Winter Dance. But that is likely specific route racking, to minimize drag on M-Hard.
I use them to rack draws or tape them to water bottles for a clip in point.

Dr Strangelove · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Rappel extension

Also good to use instead of quickdraws on wandering sport routes. Or to extend trad gear on straightforward routes

LCC kid · · SLC · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Rappel extension, racking gear before tossing it inside a backpack, miniature leash for a short piolet, half sized alpine draws, and I also use one combined with a biner to cinch a rope to my backpack.

All that said I wish I could trade in most of my 30cm slings for 60cm ones

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

I use them as a handle in combination with some cord to make dog leashes that I can girth hitch to my beagles harness since she can escape from leash clips, carabiners and even a mallion. Other than that I never use them except for organizing gear.

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 489

To extend nuts when I want to minimize fall distance. They are short enough to not add much length to a fall but the open sling gives you a lot of flexibility. They are great for placing a nut above a ledge. 

I don't usually use an autoblock on rappel but when I do, these are great for it. 

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 50

^ +1...if you're not extending your rappel device, and you are rigging a backup off your leg loop, this is the perfect length for a klemheist...presuming it's a nylon sling.

Eplumer400 · · Cleveland, OH · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115

I use one on my backup device for TR soloing. That way it sits a little above my knees instead of at my feet when climbing.

Serge Smirnov · · Seattle, WA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 242

2-bolt anchors.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,644

I just rack gear on them.

Jfriday1 · · Conifer, CO · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 40

hang ice tools on the 30cm in the garage to train on.  Thats about it lol.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

They really shine as an item you use once or twice before deciding they are not worth the hassle, and for racking gear that is actually useful.

Jesse Coonce · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

I bought two and have used them pretty much exclusively for racking gear.  Perhaps I used them on a two bolt anchor once or twice.  I don't forsee myself buying any more.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "30cm sling uses"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion