Mountain Project Logo

Who gets their money's worth from American Alpine Club Membership?

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
other wrote:

If you use the benefits then absolutely join.

This, exactly. And the corollary to that is, if you don't use the benefits, don't join.

The most important things to me are safety of anchors and maintaining access.

Okay, maybe the AF, ASCA, and/or a local bolting organization are better organizations for you.

Does AAC help with as many bolt replacements as ASCA?

I don't know which organization replaces more bolts (I'm under the impression the AAC is larger) but given the missions of the two organizations, it's certain that the ASCA replaces more bolts per dollar donated. That's not to say the AAC is wasting donated money, it's just that the AAC is doing other things (which some of us find to also be useful).

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108
Adam Peters wrote:

I'll try and answer the questions raised here. 

1. Access: The AAC does advocate for climbers rights and access on a national level. We've been coordinating an annual "Climb the Hill" day with the Access Fund the last two years. 
  2. Anchor Replacement: https://americanalpineclub.org/anchor-replacement-fund
  3. Rescue: First, the AAC benefit that deals with rescue is not an insurance policy. Costs of Rescues vary wildly and there's no one size fits all solution. What you are getting with the AAC's Rescue Benefit is $5000 worth of reimbursement for any out of pocket expenses incurred with in the US during a rescue that is required to prevent serious injury or death. Yes, these expenses are covered A LOT by county S&R, State Parks, Nat'l Parks, etc, however, we are seeing a rising increase in these services contracting with private companies for extracting and pinging the rescued with the bill. It also gives an additional $7500 credit towards any rescue initiated by our partner Global Rescue, any where in the world. 
  4. Discounts: There's a bunch. Find which ones you like and use them or don't. 
  5. Library: The Dark Horse benefit. Check out up to 10 books for 30 days, shipped to you, wherever...uh, the library has every damn guidebook imaginable. Next trip, instead of spending $100 or more on guidebooks, check them out, take them with, return them. Money saved. 
  6. Publications: Icing on the Cake.
  7. Lodging: Tetons, Hueco, Gunks, New River Gorge, Rumney...reciprocity with Canadian and European Hut Systems. 
  8. Grants: Money in your pocket for climbing trips. Seriously, last year the AAC paid out $50K in money to climbers of every age, discipline, and experience level through it's Live Your Dream Grant. If you're a climber in America that doesn't apply for this, then something's wrong. 
  9. Other things: Events, Community, Education. 

DM me if you want to learn more in depth. 

This. The AAC is a phenomenal organization for climbing in the USA and could certainly do more with a bigger budget. I’d bet 100 bucks you’ve clipped a bolt paid for by the AAC. 

Andy Summers · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56

When I joined at this year's Devil's Lake Craggin' Classic I got a free Camp Nano 22 rack pack, which would have been $30-45ish otherwise. There are some nice deals through Experticity (which I've already used) and if nothing else, they put on the DLCC which is the biggest/best climbing fest around here. All that alone is worth the $75 I paid in my opinion, and I've got some rescue help should I ever need it.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Nope.  I never got sent the publications that are included in the membership.  I sent them an email to which they didn't respond.  I can't say I'm super stoked about that.  Their prodeals are a joke.  You can get better prices online if you look around. So it goes.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Jack C. wrote:

Nope.  I never got sent the publications that are included in the membership.  I sent them an email to which they didn't respond.  I can't say I'm super stoked about that.  Their prodeals are a joke.  You can get better prices online if you look around. So it goes.

You can download the publications by signing into the AAC website (if your membership is still current).

I'd love to see where you think you're getting better prices than 40% off MSRP for Mammut Ropes, I'm in the market for half ropes.

Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

The AAC gave me a $680 scholarship to get my WFR cert. I'd say that was pretty worth it.

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
David Kerkeslager wrote:

You can download the publications by signing into the AAC website (if your membership is still current).

I'd love to see where you think you're getting better prices than 40% off MSRP for Mammut Ropes, I'm in the market for half ropes.

I'll poke around for you a bit online and DM you if I find any.  I got a pair of Beal halves last summer for a couple hundred bucks.  Just saying deals are out there that are just as good so I definitely haven't made up my membership via the "prodeals."  I know I can download the publications sure but I'm one of those dirty capitalists that want the paper copy.  Plus when I pay for something I like to receive it, personally.  But I understand it's a big org. and they can't take care of everyone.  Not trying to rip on the AAC, just being honest with the OP about my experience.

sean o · · Northern, NM · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 48

The Golden library is amazing, and they will ship you books if you're a member.  So is the Teton Climbers' Ranch, and you save a few dollars as a member.  Expect nothing more than that, and you will not be disappointed.

divnamite · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 90
David Kerkeslager wrote:

Given that you have to pay transaction fee, tax and shipping via expert site. It's less than 30% in the end. So no, it's not that amazing.

However, if you don't have time and want them now, then it's better than most.

Adam Peters · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 700
Jack C. wrote:

Hey Jack, 

Sorry you didn't get your publications last year and couldn't get a response. There was a moment when the default setting on joining and renewing members was for a "Paperless" membership, meaning you only got a digital version.  A LOT of people didn't see this. So, if you email me at apeters@americanalpineclub.org I'll make sure you get a hard copy of your publications. 

Cheers, 

Andy Summers · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 56
Nicholas King 1 wrote:

The AAC gave me a $680 scholarship to get my WFR cert. I'd say that was pretty worth it.

What was the application process for this like? I'm looking at taking WFR in January and I'd love to have some of the cost offset if possible.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

I pretty much only buy Tenaya shoes via the 40% trango deal

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
caughtinside wrote:

There are a few climbers around here who have used their grants to fund some cool trips. 

That sounds like a lottery except someone gets to decide who the winner is.  

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
other wrote:

Skye Swoboda-Colberg :

I've read that in the US rescue is generally free, unless the rescued people are found to be willfully negligent. For the belt and suspenders redundant insurance you have back up insurance in case the primary SAR and chopper is occupied. Hopefully there is a pay private rescue service that will help. That does exist for other countries but its pricey.

It totally depends on location. Here in Utah, SAR rescues are done at the county level - some charge and some do not; it depends on the county finances. For example, Wayne County charges in full for all rescues whereas Salt Lake County does not. Wayne County happens to be where Bluejohn Canyon of Aaron Ralston fame is located.

Edit to add this photo:

Amy Krull · · Oregon · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 91

The Alpine Club of Canada recognizes AAC membership, which gets you membership pricing on their huts (e.g. on the Wapta traverse, it saves you $10/night)

Vincent M · · Kalamazoo, MI · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35
Skye Swoboda-Colberg wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me, there is a tab in your account settings you need to check to get hard copies sent to your address. This year they were nice enough to send a reminder email.

This happened to me in 2016.  I made sure to check my account settings for 2017 to get my publications.  I still haven't received them this year.  

Vincent M · · Kalamazoo, MI · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 35

Follow up:

The AAC got in contact with me pretty close to immediately after I posted this and will be sending me the publications.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Its the only way to afford a subscription to Alpinist.

Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20
Apsu wrote:

What was the application process for this like? I'm looking at taking WFR in January and I'd love to have some of the cost offset if possible.

as long as you have a membership you can apply for it. I just filled out my general info and then I had to write like a 500 word essay on how I was planning to use it and why I thought I should receive the grant.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

For the gear/food discounts alone I easily make up the cost of membership, plus WAY more. 

You also need to be a member if you want to climb without a guide in Peru. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Who gets their money's worth from American Alpi…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started