Mountain Project Logo

Marmot Ama Dablam vs MontBell Frost Line Parka

Original Post
Gary Ballentine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

These parkas are the exact same price right now and both have 800 fill down. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I'm looking for a warm down jacket for mountaineering and cold weather in the mountains in winter.

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

AFAIK the Ama Dablam uses sewn-through construction, while the Frost Line is a box-baffle jacket. I would go with the Montbell.

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I’ve owned both.  The frost line will be way warmer and way more bulky.  For colder temps and for layering over stuff-I’d definitely go with the montbell.  The frontline is fully baffled. 

Gary Ballentine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0
akafaultline wrote:

I’ve owned both.  The frost line will be way warmer and way more bulky.  For colder temps and for layering over stuff-I’d definitely go with the montbell.  The frontline is fully baffled. 

How is the sizing on them? I’m 5’9” 165lbs and usually wear a medium, sometimes small. I just realized I can only get the MontBell on sale in a size small.

Norm Larson · · Wilson, Wy. · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 60

Mont Bell runs small. My wife is 5'3" and wears a small. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs.  and wear a large

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

Yeah. I’d definitely agree montbell runs small.  I️ think they are great gear for the price.   I bought the Patagonia Fitzroy parka thinking it was a much better piece-it looked like it on paper-but it is not much more lofty, if any than the frostline.  The frostline would be what I’d personally use for moderate cold temps if i didn’t unfortunately sell it.  For cold temps-below -10f, i use the peak xv or maybe the nilas If weight is crucial. 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I own the Frost line and agree, it's a great parka. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Marmot Ama Dablam vs MontBell Frost Line Parka"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started