Mountain Project Logo

Route and Area page redesign - preview and give feedback!

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

In our process of rebuilding MP from the ground up, we're getting ready to release new Area and Route pages. It's the same content but it's on our new codebase which has a lot of benefits (much faster loading, modern standards, better on phones, adaptable to future, etc).

AREA page, OLD: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/105731965

AREA page, NEW: https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105731965

ROUTE page, OLD: https://www.mountainproject.com/v/105798994

ROUTE page, NEW: https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105798994

(you can look at any area/route page if you follow the url pattern above)

There are two small new features in addition to the redesign: users can mark comments with a "Beta" check.  As we get data over time, it will be a nice feature to have comments sorted by most useful.  Also clicking on photos opens them "in-page" allowing you to view them faster without losing your place (they also have a normal full page).

Feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are welcome!

Jared M · · Oakland, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 145

-In-page photo viewing is great!

-The photo carousel is missing on mobile (Chrome on Galaxy S7) for both the new route and area pages

-Letterboxing the photos looks dated. Suggest keeping the original aspect ratio like on the old pages

-Good job reducing wasted space in the comments section for mobile (below username). Would be cool to see the same on desktop, especially for the whitespace below the route list divider on the left side of the page

-I prefer the wider container on the old pages on desktop. Narrower container = more scrolling

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Question - how are classics determined? I notice that the listed classics for each area have changed. Where it was 50 before, it is now a bit longer and seems to include a location component. 

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648

I certainly like the changes to the photos!

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 51

The precipitation graph and the average temp graph no longer have a key for what each color line/bar represent.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140
Jared Murray wrote:

-Letterboxing the photos looks dated. Suggest keeping the original aspect ratio like on the old pages

Dated or not, the main issue is that it can remove the very reason for the photo being there.  Example below from your sample route page.  Why would I click on the new preview?  Just shows trees...

Old Preview:

New preview: (same photo)

Mark Says · · Basalt, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

Looking good, gentlemen!

Area Page

• The text is wrapping super tight with the image carousel, at least when viewing on my macbook, I'll have to look at this again tomorrow when I'm in the office to see how it appears on larger displays. It's pretty clean, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a little more user friendly and readable if you put the carousel in a second column beside the meta data and had the Description in a single width column below both, the way it appears on the route page.
  • Really like that you've pulled the Route Finder out and put it in its own area, I was oblivious to that feature for the first few months I used MP.
  • This is super nitpicky, but I don't mind the star ratings being right aligned on the route pages, it doesn't read well on the route pages in the Classic Climbs table. I turned off the text-align: right!important; rule and that looks way better and is easier to visually scan.

Route Page

• Not a lot to complain about here at all, looks nice and clean! Also super nitpicky because that's really all I could find, I noticed the X icon to close the image gallery was overlapping the thumbnail which looks a little strange. If you move both the top/right positioning to -7px on .modal-dialog button.ap-close it sticks out in the other direction but looks a little less accidental, or just remove the circle from behind the X in the svg?

I see what Seth is saying about the graphs too, I noticed they correlate with the dialog in the top left but that takes a second to kick in.

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Jared is spot on in his comments, particularly on letterboxing - strong negative reaction to the letterboxes. Worse than the dropshadows that you nixed. Eric and Lucie also right on thumbnails. The change to the photos is not good.

Opinion: no need to show a pics vote/star count on the page view. It takes up more space, or in your beta layout, forces a fatter letterbox.. Let that star rating show up when pic is opened to carousel view.

Rest looks good.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

• The photo thumbs have been updated to do much less cropping (on the photos below the text, not the carousel at top)
  • I wanted to really keep the precip charts small and uncluttered.  They key is in the top-left graph, where the colors match the stats.  Not ideal, but I don't think critical either.
  • Good call on star alignment on route tables.  Removed the right-alignment.

Getting highly variable user-generated content to work on all screen sizes is quite a challenge...

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

I can’t seem to edit an area I submitted. I get a 404 error. Is this permanent? 

bus driver wrote:

I can’t seem to edit an area I submitted. I get a 404 error. Is this permanent? 

Getting that fixed now - thanks for the report!

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

I like the auto-play carousel for the MP.com home page but not so much on the route page since it's distracting while trying to read. Oh and for some reason the width on the route page is smaller than the mp.com home page. On my monitor route page width is 1170px while flipping back to the home page it's 1340px.

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

My issue has been resolved.  Thanks.  

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Nick Wilder wrote:
  • Good call on star alignment on route tables.  Removed the right-alignment.

About this one, it would be nice if it maintained the same layout left to right, even if you update or change fonts, etc. So like:

Route, grade, star rating, type of climb and length, area with breadcrumbs

I do like how they are now in distinct columns, which makes it easier to read, but just retaining the original order would make it easier

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

Also, the whole ordeal of adding sub-areas to areas with routes is really annoying, but I'm guessing this is probably a much more difficult fix than the current graphics/UI update. 

eli poss wrote:

Also, the whole ordeal of adding sub-areas to areas with routes is really annoying, but I'm guessing this is probably a much more difficult fix than the current graphics/UI update. 

I hope to address this some day (I agree it is a total PITA), but not really related to these pages (it's part of the edit system, which I haven't remotely started to convert to new code).

The " Show More" button appears a second time on long comments and descriptions, but clicking it does nothing. Full text is not visible

David - thanks for pointing that out.  An update is going out now that corrects this.

Jared - I can't reproduce this (though I believe it).  Does it happen every time a page loads (if you press "refresh", are their two buttons right as the page loads)?  Is it after re-sorting comments?

Nick Wilder wrote:

Jared - I can't reproduce this (though I believe it).  Does it happen every time a page loads (if you press "refresh", are their two buttons right as the page loads)?  Is it after re-sorting comments?

The behavior is a little different now, but consistent ... using Chrome / GS7:

1. go to https://www.mountainproject.com/route/105732422/epinephrine (using Chrome on GS7)

2. scrolled down to comments, sorted by 'best beta'

3. select Show More - more text appears

4. select Show More again - note last couple lines are still grayed out

5. select Show More again - note last couple lines are slightly less grayed out

6. select Show More again - finally all text is visible and Show More button disappears

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727
bob jensen wrote:

Saw that a route I put up in 2014 shows that I shared it in 2009.   I don’t give a hoot, but that’s obviously a glitch and I’m not sure to what extent that has occurred.  Thanks for all the work. 

it looks like routes are saying they were shared when the area they are under were originally shared.. also thanks for the work. of course, going to miss the old layout at first but will forget about it shortly i'm sure..

Also - not a fan of the nearby routes table (e.g. 'Routes in Black Velvet Wall' shown below) being the first thing displayed on a route page on mobile:

My preference would be to move that section down after route comments. It makes sense to keep near the top for route pages though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Route and Area page redesign - preview and give…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started