Mountain Project Logo

Tension Grindstone Hangboards

Original Post
RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

Has anyone used one of these bad boys yet?

https://www.tensionclimbing.com/hangboards/

I like how they offset the edges so the middle of the board isn’t crammed like many other boards.

I was planning on getting a Beastmaker, but the Grindstone looks to have more edge options (less pockets) and a general better layout with the offset design. I’d be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used one and how they think it compares with the Beastmaker boards.

Derek Plafcan · · Golden, co · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 240

I've used both in the past and prefer the Tension hangboard because of the offset layout.  Both of them seem to be of higher quality than most, so i doubt you'll be disappointed with either.  The Tension Flashboard is also super nice for warming up at the crag.

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

I have their older Whetstone board and use a BM2k at the gym. Both have a nice finish and good radius to the edges. I'm not a fan of all the pockets on the BM2k, I think they're a waste of board space. I would rather have more full size edges to choose from, it's easy enough to drop fingers off to train pockets and won't let you cheat by getting up in the corners.
Also on the 2k the jump between the outer hold depths is massive. The upper is virtually a jug, about 1.5 pad depth. The smaller edge is 14mm deep, but due to the generous radius it feels more like a 10mm edge when I half crimp. I end up using the upper hold and sticking pieces of cardboard in there to make an in between one pad hold.

The only problem I had with the whetstone was that it didn't have a one pad edge, I bought two .75" holds from tension to supplement. They have that range covered on the new board with a 20mm edge. 

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

I’ve got a Grindstone Pro. Definitely a step above anything else I’ve used.

Hans El Grandote · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

Are the four-finger slots on the Tension board wider than equivalent holds on the Beastmaker 2000? I have large hands and my fingers tend to stack on the Beastmaker 2000 four-finger slots (though the "small edge" on outside of the bottom row on the Beastmaker 1000 is wider and works just fine). I was hoping the Tension board would solve this issue. Thanks in advance for the input.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

I have the tension flashboard and carry it when I'm on the road for work (like right now) and won't be able to climb, just to slow my strength loss. I'm not impressed, but haven't been able to find anything else as small, light and easy to use on the road. 

Maybe their other offerings are better. 

I am amused by the grindstone and grindstone pro hold sizes being measured in metric vs the flashboard measures in freedom units. 

JCM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 115
RandyLee wrote:

I have the tension flashboard and carry it when I'm on the road for work (like right now) and won't be able to climb, just to slow my strength loss. I'm not impressed, but haven't been able to find anything else as small, light and easy to use on the road. 

Maybe their other offerings are better. 

I am amused by the grindstone and grindstone pro hold sizes being measured in metric vs the flashboard measures in freedom units. 

What about the Flash board are you not impressed by? I've found mine to be well designed, well made, and very useful. Just curious about what issues you've found with it.

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335
Nick Drake wrote:

I have their older Whetstone board and use a BM2k at the gym. Both have a nice finish and good radius to the edges. I'm not a fan of all the pockets on the BM2k, I think they're a waste of board space. I would rather have more full size edges to choose from, it's easy enough to drop fingers off to train pockets and won't let you cheat by getting up in the corners.
Also on the 2k the jump between the outer hold depths is massive. The upper is virtually a jug, about 1.5 pad depth. The smaller edge is 14mm deep, but due to the generous radius it feels more like a 10mm edge when I half crimp. I end up using the upper hold and sticking pieces of cardboard in there to make an in between one pad hold.

The only problem I had with the whetstone was that it didn't have a one pad edge, I bought two .75" holds from tension to supplement. They have that range covered on the new board with a 20mm edge. 

This is also my problem with the Beastmaker. The 2000 is mostly pockets where I would rather have edges. The 1000 has more edges but the upper row are super deep and not very useful. I’m probably going to go for the Tension instead since it has a much wider range of edge sizes to choose from. Glad to hear some positive feedback.

Elysée Ojôur · · Florida · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Derek Plafcan wrote:

I've used both in the past and prefer the Tension hangboard because of the offset layout.  Both of them seem to be of higher quality than most, so i doubt you'll be disappointed with either.  The Tension Flashboard is also super nice for warming up at the crag.

Are you looking to sell your grindstone by any chance?

Derek Plafcan · · Golden, co · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 240

I’ll probably keep it until it turns in to dust :)
It looks like Tension has both the Grindstone and Grindstone Pro available on their website, though!

Michael Martzahn · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 60
Elysee Ojour wrote:

Are you looking to sell your grindstone by any chance?

Are you looking to buy one by any chance?

Nick Ludwig · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 505

Any thoughts on the Grindstone not featuring slopers?  Do people care about training slopers or is that a waste for a hangboard?

Slim Chuffer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
Nick Ludwig wrote: Any thoughts on the Grindstone not featuring slopers?  Do people care about training slopers or is that a waste for a hangboard?

I believe the rationale is that slopers are so condition and body positioning dependent that there are better things to train on a hangboard.  I'd tend to agree (I don't think pinches on a hangboard are worth it) but that's up to you.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 290
Hansen Babington wrote:

Are the four-finger slots on the Tension board wider than equivalent holds on the Beastmaker 2000? I have large hands and my fingers tend to stack on the Beastmaker 2000 four-finger slots (though the "small edge" on outside of the bottom row on the Beastmaker 1000 is wider and works just fine). I was hoping the Tension board would solve this issue. Thanks in advance for the input.

I have wide fingers and have a grindstone at my parents' house. I don't have any issues with my fingers not fitting.

Elysée Ojôur · · Florida · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0
Michael Martzahn wrote:

Are you looking to buy one by any chance?

Yes I am 

Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Nick Ludwig wrote: Any thoughts on the Grindstone not featuring slopers?  Do people care about training slopers or is that a waste for a hangboard?

Total waste of time, it’s too skin/condition dependent. Fully open (three finger drag), plus wrist strength and above all body position will get you where you want on slopers. 

For reference when I did try training them my weight added on the medium angles b2k slopers varied by as much as 20lbs between sessions depending on how hot/crowded the gym was. Drag and half crimps never varied

Does anyone have a Tension Climbing discount code or any info on where to get one at a discount?

Pino Pepino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

What are your thoughts on the Grindstone vs Grindstone Pro? I like the offset layout but I'm unclear which one of these to pick.

Helge L are you looking to train monos and two finger hangs?  If not, get the Grindstone as it is all edges and using the edges you can just drop fingers off which people suggest is better than specific pockets.

Best,
Nick

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Tension Grindstone Hangboards"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started