Mountain Project Logo

Grivel Carryabiner Screw Holder

Original Post
Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

They hold six screws each, but only two will stack up on top before they slip down. If someone didn't care about keeping the full strength rating, some grooves in the top would help.
Really nice action on the gate, easy to twist the screws to remove without having to push on the gate. They really want to lay flat against the harness when empty, and should work better with a backpack hipbelt. The hole on my nomics are just big enough to fit these, and leave enough space for a couple of screws to fit to the outside of the tools. Overall, I like everything about them better than the plastic alternatives.

Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

Aaron, I don’t know about this brand, but that rubber strap typically goes behind the harnes belt to hold it tight to,the harness, as opposed to the way your picture shows.

Aaron T · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5
Michael S. Catlett wrote:

Aaron, I don’t know about this brand, but that rubber strap typically goes behind the harnes belt to hold it tight to,the harness, as opposed to the way your picture shows.

Yeah, I tried it that way too but this harness is too wide for the strap. It seems to work really well like this though, so I'll give it a shot for a while,or try to stretch the strap.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

Has anybody tried the DMM Vault?  They look pretty fancy.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Chris C. wrote:

I think I'm going to get 1 to try out. I have 2 of the Petzl ones, but I always wish I had a 3rd when leading. 

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
Chris C. wrote:

I've got a couple of the wiregate ones and wish they were bigger.  They work alright but a definitely an expensive, specialty item...I guess that can be said with all ice climbing gear.  They fit four screws before it starts to be a pain (I use petzl lazer speeds) but you can't have more than a couple on there and try and holster a tool without the shaft sticking out at a 30 degree angle or so.  Overall I suppose I'd buy them again and definitely prefer them over plastic ones; I'm super into the ability of my gear to take abuse which sees me constantly purchasing from DMM. Flat back keeps them perpendicular to the harness at all times as opposed to these grivel ones which is good.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Jack C. wrote:

I've got a couple of the wiregate ones and wish they were bigger.  They work alright but a definitely an expensive, specialty item...I guess that can be said with all ice climbing gear.  They fit four screws before it starts to be a pain (I use petzl lazer speeds) but you can't have more than a couple on there and try and holster a tool without the shaft sticking out at a 30 degree angle or so.  Overall I suppose I'd buy them again and definitely prefer them over plastic ones; I'm super into the ability of my gear to take abuse which sees me constantly purchasing from DMM. Flat back keeps them perpendicular to the harness at all times as opposed to these grivel ones which is good.

The basket looks pretty deep in picures. Is it just somewhat small overall? I often have 4-5 screws on the plastic petzl's, but can't holster a tool when it's fully loaded with screws

Jack C · · Green River, UT · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325
Ryan Hamilton wrote:

The basket looks pretty deep in picures. Is it just somewhat small overall? I often have 4-5 screws on the plastic petzl's, but can't holster a tool when it's fully loaded with screws

If I can find my phone I'll take a picture loaded with a few screws and a tool and upload it.  It's not too small to be functional but I think the basket being wider (not cross-sectionally; the x-axis) would be beneficial.  I might only think that because I don't want to buy two more to carry a full rack of screws and still have the ability to holster.  Not that you really need that if you're climbing a full ice pitch in which you'd need the full rack but..maybe I just like to get things wired a little too much.  Sorry for the thread-drift, OP!

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Have you used this climbing? I’m doubtful that rubber will stay in place. Doesn’t look like it solves any issues with current ice screw holders...

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Chris C. wrote:

Hey Chris, I just got a pair of DMM Vaults and they are just dreamy on my Petzl Sitta harness.  They are the exact same shape and size as Petzl's Caritool, but metal.  Gate action is fantastic.  Build quality is typical of DMM - they are a work of art in metallurgy and engineering.  I'm very pleased, but they were expensive.  Easily justified when I'm hanging $400 worth of screws on each one!

Andy Weinmann · · Campton, NH/Warmington, UK · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 2,321
Chris C. wrote:

I generally like DMM gear and have some good stuff from them.  I wanted to buy these for my new custom ordered Misty Mountain harness (nice plug for them eh?), but then read that the upper shelf on the Vaults will not accommodate BD screws.  I emailed DMM about this and sure enough, here's the response: 

"We are aware of the compatibility with the BD screws, earlier BD screws worked OK, the new versions don’t work."

I assume they mean every screw on my rack save one Petzl I have.  And of course she didn't recommend filing the edges down a little on the Vaults so that they would work.  I guess it's between the Petzl Caritool or the new Grivels?  I used the BD ice clippers previously and feel like any of the other options are an upgrade.

Jacon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 200
Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Has anyone tried this.  

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492
Tony K wrote:

Has anyone tried this.  

People have been doing various versions of that for years. Generally a very nice bit of kit. The first one I ever saw used BD's really large Fin biners. Here (pic) is one that doesn't involve drilling the biners.

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

What’s the benefit of that over two clippers? 

Sam Sala · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 82

I picked up a pair of these Grivel holders as well. They fit the Petzl Hirundos like a glove with the rubber keeper strap going behind the waist belt (no rotation or wobbling). They stack (6) screws each and (2) tools (X-Dream) fit reasonably well in one holder, even with a screw or two below. I agree that more than a couple screws start slipping on the top shelf, but I generally stack screws on one side or the other based on size, so needing to dig with more than (2) on the shelf at a time hasn't really been an issue so far. I made the mistake of waiting until I was at the base of a crag to rack these up and I found the plastic was almost impossible to get on/off the biner in the cold. I would definitely suggest being proactive and doing in the comfort of a warm house or car. I might even warm them up a touch on the defroster vent first. I've only used them a couple of times this season, but am pretty happy with them so far. I'm hoping to never have to use them as a full-strength biner, but the mental comfort of knowing I have an extra pair is nice, and hooray! no more hip-check breaking plastic clippers in the cold!!!

Racechinees . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Not sure about the two clipper method; but don't they just make it: https://www.simond.com/simond-rack-id_8273617

JasonSH · · unknown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 90
Aaron T wrote:

Yeah, I tried it that way too but this harness is too wide for the strap. It seems to work really well like this though, so I'll give it a shot for a while,or try to stretch the strap.

Or why not just give Grivel a call and tell them what harness youre trying to use them on, tgere shoul d be a knowledgeable tech there to have a solution for ya. I like these wonder if they'd work well on my Arcteryx harness? 

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 275
Michael S. Catlett wrote:

I think the OP is actually using the rubber strap as intended by the manufacturer. The image below from Liberty Mountain shows the strap for a Singing Rock brand ice clipper used in this way. I can't be sure that Grivel intends their strap to be used the same way, since they don't provide instructions. But the fact that the strap is too small to fit around many modern harnesses, and other brands of ice clipper include straps of a similar or even shorter length, indicates to me that these straps are meant to go in front of the ice clipper loop, not around the harness belt. 

It may be that common practice is to use these differently, but that doesn't mean that the common practice is correct or the best way.

(from http://www.libertymountain.com/products/5544/448626/porter-racking-biner)

(another brand of ice clipper, notice the very short rubber strap)

Mike Wilkinson · · Lexington, KY · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 718

Just bought a pair of Grivel carryabiners after dealing with my plastic BD ones, with the wire gates staying open, the tabs that hold it in place breaking, and in general not being a bomb proof piece of my kit. When seated in my Petzl Adjama's loops for caritools, they moved around a bit more than I wanted, so I looped them onto the harness with the plastic piece they came with. Will report back when I've put a few pitches in with them, but they seem great so far!

Mike Wilkinson · · Lexington, KY · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 718

Still holding strong after several seasons of pitches. Like them a lot, and they do go flat when empty, which is nice for when you have to hike/climb with a backpack. Wish I could fit a third one on my Adjama, as when I clip my tools in, I've only got space for 4ish screws in each.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Grivel Carryabiner Screw Holder"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started