Mountain Project Logo

So you're at the crag when someone shows up with a drone and begins flying it near you. Does this bug you? What do you do?

Original Post
Kevin X · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Was out today enjoying the last bit of nice weather before a big storm rolls through the front range. Was taking a food break when someone shows up with a drone and starts flying it around the crag, getting pretty close to the climbers. As I tied in again, the drone was still out and flying close enough to be distracting. By the time I rapped down, the dude had packed up and left. 

What's the etiquette on this kind of stuff? I know I'm on public land, and drone guy has a right to be doing this. I enjoy being out here to climb, he enjoys being out here to drone. That's cool. But if his enjoyment is getting in the way of my enjoyment, am I an ass for asking him to pack his drone up? To what extent can I carry this reasoning? Can I say: "Hey man you're flying that thing really close to me could you fly it further away/could you put it away?". How about: "hey man, that buzzing is annoying can you put your drone away?" Am I entitled to not having a drone there? How is drone noise different than general crag noise?

How do you guys handle this stuff? Drones are pretty rare around here. I know how I feel about them, but I'm not sure how I should react to them. 

M P · · Somewhere in the desert · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 356

That's a hard one. The question could be rephrased as, "there's someone with low enough EQ to not get that the thing they're doing is impacting people around them — how do you get them to get that?"

I think you're totally entitled to ask the question, but if there's a way to bring it up with humor, you're more likely to get a favorable (i.e., not passive-aggressive) response.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

It's a free country

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
djh860 wrote:

It's a free country

Try telling that to the guys kneeling at football games LOL   

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I no longer really care about it, not that it ever bothered me. I would enjoy having a high end drone myself, actually. But I think the drones are better off doing video of someone actually moving on a snowboard or mountain bike.

5.Seven-Kevin · · Las Vegas · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0
Squeak wrote:

When you get paid 20 million a year to take 5 hours to play a one hour game, "for the community", there's certain things you need to be required to do

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 392
djh860 wrote:

It's a free country

So I'm free to use a shotgun on it?    

Anyone who says stuff like this is ignorant and stupid.   Did you sleep through your government studies, djh?   Our freedoms are LIMITED when they impinge upon other people and their pursuit of happiness.

Your freedom to blast your stereo is limited when other people are nearby.   Your freedom to own a gun is limited; even pointing a gun at someone is a crime (menacing), and sometimes even just waving it around will get you arrested.  

Since drones are still quite new, the law is still unclear.   If drones continue to harass people, the laws will become much more clear, and you can pretty much bet drone-owners "freedoms" will be limited. 

JWatt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 25

Knock it out of the fuckin sky. Stop these things before they become a scourge on the scene.

5.Seven-Kevin wrote:

When you get paid 20 million a year to take 5 hours to play a one hour game, "for the community", there's certain things you need to be required to do

Bullshit.  Patriotism cannot be bought.  It must be earned.      

And just to be clear, our Founding Fathers were rebels, protesters, provocateurs, and they actually killed members of the "government" for what they believed in.    They loaded the Constitution and Bill of Rights with PROTECTIONS for people to be able to express their dissatisfaction with their government, without having a dumb-assed President threaten their jobs (which is, of course, illegal)!

So Kevin, maybe you should go study the Constitution and Bill of Rights before you go spewing about what citizens "need to be required to do". 

Eric Wydeven · · austin, tx · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Thank you open carry laws.  Here in Texas I just pull out my gatt and blast that drone out of the sky. 

Ryan Bowen · · Bend, Or · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 85
John Byrnes wrote:

Bullshit.  Patriotism cannot be bought.  It must be earned.      

And just to be clear, our Founding Fathers were rebels, protesters, provocateurs, and they actually killed members of the "government" for what they believed in.    They loaded the Constitution and Bill of Rights with PROTECTIONS for people to be able to express their dissatisfaction with their government, without having a dumb-assed President threaten their jobs (which is, of course, illegal)!

So Kevin, maybe you should go study the Constitution and Bill of Rights before you go spewing about what citizens "need to be required to do". 

Lighten up, Francis.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Squeak wrote:

I will....They have the freedom to take that knee in protest because people who STAND for the national anthem died for their right to take that knee

Kevin X · · Boulder · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Sick derail guys  

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
djh860 wrote:

It's a free country

You can file a complaint with your local zoning administration, or with the colorado department of natural resources, or rally your local climbers coalition to complain en masse to CDNR. This isn't vietnam, we have rules here. 

cdawg lion · · BeaUTAHfull · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 165
Eric Wydeven wrote:

Thank you open carry laws.  Here in Texas I just pull out my gatt and blast that drone out of the sky. 

nope. can't shoot it down (or get caught)

https://www.popsci.com/it-is-federal-crime-to-shoot-down-drone-says-faa

Kevin Beadle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Fly by me all day especially if your gonna send me a copy of your recording!

Josh Platt · · High Country, NC · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 35
Kevin Beadle wrote:

Fly by me all day especially if your gonna send me a copy of your recording!

This happened to me this weekend, hah! But for real, I just made sure to let them know it was annoying and hard to communicate with my partner.  Very distracting while trying to build an anchor too.  That was the first time I've ever seen one and those things are louder than I thought.

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95
5.Seven-Kevin wrote:

One of those things might be a social conscience, which is why they should continue to kneel rather than submit to trumps tyrannical rants.

Carl Smith wrote:

nope. can't shoot it down (or get caught)

https://www.popsci.com/it-is-federal-crime-to-shoot-down-drone-says-faa

Interesting.  The FAA ruling is based on assumptions of where the shooting is taking place, like a city or suburb.   Where I live it's legal to shoot right off my patio (outside city limits, no one nearby).  So I've thought about... what if a drone is hovering over me or right outside my window "spying" on me.  I have no idea who's in control.  It won't go away.  Calling a cop will take about an hour if they respond at all, and what's he gonna do?   Wave his badge?  He can't track down the owner either.  The FAA ruling is full of holes.

Personally, I'd shoot it down with a shotgun and see what happens.  If it goes to the court, I'd stand on my right to privacy from unknown persons.  Of course, there's always satellites that can see you but they're not looking into your house through the windows either.  

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360
jbak x · · tucson, az · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,672

A drone in a wilderness area would be "motorized equipment".

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "So you're at the crag when someone shows up wit…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started