Mountain Project Logo

Merrells for mountaineering?

Original Post
johnny bedge · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 5

As fate would have it, I won a gift card for a pair of Merrells of my choice. I never had any and at first glance, only see a few possible contenders for what I'm after. Id like to start dipping my toes into mountaineering and wondered if anyone could recommend a pair. Thanks

Keatan · · AZ · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 50

It's hard to answer without more details like where do you live and what are your mountaineering goals? Merrell makes primarily hiking boots/shoes. These will be just fine for scrambles, summer 14ers, and the like. However, I'm not aware of anything they make that would take even a semi-automatic crampon or that I would want to climb technical rock in. 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407
muzik311 Mk · · moab, ut · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

I agree with chris....honestly, I don't even hike in Merrell's (I think they are junk, sorry) but hey, free money, buy some trail runners ?

Thanks for the info, looks like i might just end up with a nice pair of hiking shoes

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Sell the card and take  the money to put towards some real boots 

not a bad idea, any recommendations for an entry level boot? I live in Utah and just looking to start a some easy summits, not needing anything other than crampons and maybe an axe. 

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 407

I'd go with either the La Sportiva Nepal Cube (image above) or the La Sportiva Trango Cube.  

The Nepal will be a more robust, warmer, technical boot.  It is very appropriate for glacier travel and ice climbing.  It is has a fully ridged shank and accepts fully automatic crampons.  This boot is not a hiking boot whatsoever unless you actively enjoy discomfort.  It is great for climbing something like Rainier via a basic or technical route. 

The Trango is a lighter, less ridged boot (3/4 shank?).  This boot is more nimble on rock, but also accepts a semi-auto crampon.  You can walk around in this boot and be relatively happy (compared to the Nepal), but it's less effective on long steep snow climbs and will be even less ideal for ice climbing.  This boot is great for climbing something like Mt Shuksan's Fisher Chimneys. 

(Sorry, don't know any routes to compare to in Utah! From what I have *heard* of the area, the Trango Cube will probably be a great boot.  However, I have never climbed there so take that with many grains of salt.)

muzik311 Mk · · moab, ut · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 10

Honestly, I first rented my first pair of mountaineering boots, it let me try them out and see what I liked/didn't like...depends on conditions you be getting into (if you want a plastic boot) classic Scrapa Inverno's  https://www.scarpa.com/inverno

I bought my first pair of scrapa charmoz at a used gear shop,because I didn't want to break the bank and figured I wouldn't use them that much (I live in the desert)  and went for a heavy duty, leather, stiff boot and could use them for heavy duty backpacking as well...and they fit crampons....a good deal on them right now at sierra trading post https://www.sierratradingpost.com/scarpa-charmoz-pro-gore-tex-mountaineering-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~174jk/?utm_source=Bing_Cashback&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Scarpa_Charmoz_Pro_Gore-Tex_Mountaineering_Boots_-_Waterproof_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCBJELLY7&gclid=CPiUxJrO2tYCFQQZfwodBloNYw&gclsrc=ds&codes-processed=true

Beean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

A good pair would be one that fits your feet... 

Tony K · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Also suggest trying on different boots. Myself I’m a fan of La Sportive for a single boot  I have worn the Trango and find them to be a bit narrow for my feet the Nepal fits much better for my double boots I have a pair of Koflack and have owned Asolo both have severed me well     My son and son in law have Scarpa  and have no complaints with them 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Merrells for mountaineering?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started