Mountain Project Logo

Watch out for user MelatoninPenguin, PataGucci!

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

It's been pointed out on another forum here that user MelatoninPenguin (who has been posting threads full of like-new Patagonia gear) has actually been buying all the gear that he has listed on wornwear.com, and flipping it on forums for a profit. Certainly not illegal, but not what the forums are for, and definitely not in the spirit that I'd expect from the climbing community. I'd encourage you to buy instead from an established member (he's only been on MP for a few months) who is trying to empty out their closet to fund new gear purchases, not an outsider who just wants to turn a profit.

UPDATE: He has now changed his username to PataGucci. 

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1

Thanks man, I wondered about that deal. Good lookin out!

Brendan A · · Golden · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115

bump this all day

Niko Viglione · · Chamonix, FR · Joined May 2015 · Points: 50

Name changed to "patagucci"

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Man that's actually super lame. Glad I didn't go for one of his parkas

J B · · Painesville, OH · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

This guy is a turd. Sell your garbage elsewhere 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

So you guys come to talk shit about me when I state exactly what I sell. Now I'm being harassed on multiple forums. At least stop with the personal threats and weird sexual shit I'm tired of receiving it.

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Never once read in any of your threads have you stated that you are ripping off a reputable program for your own benefit 

Court · · SLAKETAHOE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 125

what goes around comes around.sometimes it's different when it gets back to you.

fuzzy muzzle · · Seattle · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1
Pata Gucci wrote:

So you guys come to talk shit about me when I state exactly what I sell. Now I'm being harassed on multiple forums. At least stop with the personal threats and weird sexual shit I'm tired of receiving it.

I'm not sure if there's a rule posted against what you're up to but it sure as hell seems to be no bueno here. Guess you'll have to use CL or something now. Is this just extra cash or were you counting on this to pay the bills? What's the whole picture?

Paying off medical debt. I didn't think buying and reselling gear was a crime, worn wear stamped or not. 

At this point I'll be deleting my account shortly.  Somehow these goons have got ahold of my girlfriend's contact info and are asking her for tit pics and other sexually assault worth material. The usual TGR stuff. 

Brad Ray · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 21

You're basically the same as companies that use bots to buy concert tickets, then jack up the prices. You do no work, you add no value, you create nothing, yet you profit. And it goes against the spirit of Patagonia's program, as well as the MP forums. 

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

im confused about what hes doing wrong. i dont know the guy at all, but if hes just buying gear (that anyone else has the opportunity to buy) and reselling it, whats the issue? you could not buy it from him if you can find it cheaper or you could buy from the site he is buying from.

doesnt every store that sells used gear buy it cheaper than they sell it for?

does he have some in with a company and is preventing people from getting good deals then forcing them to buy the gear?

maybe im missing something.

J B · · Painesville, OH · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Haha.... tit pics lol

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
Pata Gucci wrote:

Paying off medical debt. I didn't think buying and reselling gear was a crime, worn wear stamped or not. 

At this point I'll be deleting my account shortly.  Somehow these goons have got ahold of my girlfriend's contact info and are asking her for tit pics and other sexually assault worth material. The usual TGR stuff. 

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. 148 contributions, 146 for sale items... Way to add to the collective you dickbag.

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Hey guys lynch mobs are not cool. Its good to know his business model, but there is nothing explicitly illegal about it. No pitchforks, and no lynching please. 

daniel hernandez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 5

This is ridiculous. Is the price lower than retail? If so then why are you complaining? You don't have to buy it.

If anything they are taking a product from one site and by posting it on multiple forums, making it more widely available for others to buy. So they make a couple of extra bucks? If someone buys it, then someone gets a good deal. It is that simple. 

Act like you have never tried to make a profit on something. Which one of you salty assholes would cast the first stone?  

Yea, pretty much exactly it Jake. I dont prevent anyone else from buying it. Its just stuff that can comeup on Craigslist, wornwear, ebay, and other sites. I do the work of finding it for cheaper than it should be sold, then take professional photos and sell it for under market value. That is doing work and its not a simple process. The TGR guys made if their personally vendentta to come at me it seems - I didnt have any issues here until they started following me.

Alan C · · CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0
Pata Gucci wrote:

I'm don't agree with trying flip items on MP, but the harassment isn't something we should be about.  We should be expressing our anger not in online threats (your viewpoint on this thread is a-ok), but simply with our wallets and not buying his items.  In my opinion. 

Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Hey guys lynch mobs are not cool. Its good to know his business model, but there is nothing explicitly illegal about it. No pitchforks, and no lynching please. 

Funny you're so peaceful in this thread and you're talking about bashing a dog's skull in or burying a chaco in its side then fighting the owner...
Dude is basically scamming people on here. I'm all about letting idiots who are too lazy to use google part with their money but doing it at this level if just distasteful. 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Jake wander wrote:

im confused about what hes doing wrong. i dont know the guy at all, but if hes just buying gear (that anyone else has the opportunity to buy) and reselling it, whats the issue? you could not buy it from him if you can find it cheaper or you could buy from the site he is buying from.

doesnt every store that sells used gear buy it cheaper than they sell it for?

does he have some in with a company and is preventing people from getting good deals then forcing them to buy the gear?

maybe im missing something.

I think what you're missing is the spirit of the "For Sale" forum on this board. Note the subhead to the forum, "Dirtbag Climber Exchange."  Its intent is specifically NOT to be Craigslist or eBay or some other commercial forum. Key word for me is "exchange." Which implies, "I've got some gear I'm not using. I think I'll sell it to a fellow climber." Win-win situation there. Not that I'm going to blow thousands of dollars worth of gear through the forum as a primary business.

I don't think Melatonin Penguin is doing anything morally wrong buying low and selling higher. Good for him if he can actually make that work. But I think this is the wrong venue for it. Off to eBay, I say.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started