Mountain Project Logo

Thailand: All climbing banned in Phi Phi Don

Original Post
Kris Holub · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 70
phuketgazette.net/phuket-ne…

"PHUKET: All rock climbers, including independent climbers, are banned from scaling the bolted rock faces on Phi Phi Don as officials look to regulate safety standards.

“We have already explained to nine tour operators offering climbing tours in the Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park area that they must suspend their services until they gain the necessary permission from us,” Sorayut Tansathian, the chief of the national park, told Phuket Gazette. “I am sure other operators, as well as individuals, are also using the rock faces for climbing. They all must stop climbing until they comply with regulations.”

Mr Sorayut explained that he was currently in discussions with the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) about what criteria should be part of the necessary qualifications to secure permission to climb in the park.

“Tourist safety is our top priority, so we are thinking of what needs to be done to guarantee climbers’ safety,” Mr Sorayut said. “We would like qualified staff to oversee climbing tours. However, we’ve yet to establish what qualifications will be necessary.”

Mr Sorayut took over as the park’s chief after the previous chief was removed to allow officials to conduct an investigation into hundreds of millions of baht disappearing during the collection of national park fees (story here).

“I have been set against this since I took up my position. We have yet to clear any company or climbers for the activity,” Mr Sorayut said.

The ban and move to establish new regulations for climbing in Phi Phi Don comes hot on the heels of Ao Phang Na National Park Chief Worapot Lomlim banning rock climbing on a number of internationally popular limestone outcroppings in Koh Yao Noi"
Nathan Scherneck · · Portland, OR · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 2,370

I leave for Thailand tomorrow and already have a hotel booked on Phi Phi Don with plans to climb. Not too stoked on this.

Manny Rangel · · PAYSON · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,789

This smells like a bureaucratic search for money. Climbing in Thailand is a big draw for climbing tourists. I've enjoyed climbing from Chiang Mai to Koh Yao Noi and in between.

I hope this plays out favorably but hate to see this great resource disappear.

I'm currently in Railay and have asked around a bit. Seems like no one has heard of a ban on Koh Phi Phi. Everyone has said we should be able to climb there. I'll be there Tuesday and will update this thread.

Manny Rangel · · PAYSON · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,789

I have friends living there now. The ban is for the Grateful Wall. Access has become more difficult to other crags. The Paradise Resort manager has shut down access through their property.

Crags affected by the access block: The Mitt, HD Wall, and Big Tree Wall.

Interesting. All those crags are located on Koh Yao Noi. We heard that same info from someone here in Railay and that folks on Koh Phi Phi are closing off crags due to the closures on KYN. Will find out Monday.

So we climbed at Tonsai Tower last week with no issues (aside from the super aggressive monkeys). But a friend who is there now says there are new "no climbing" signs posted by the national park. Unfortunately, sounds like this is a real ban.

Climbing Ban - Koh Phi Phi, Thailand

Photo: Oullie Theppakkhamsone

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

500 baht fine? That's like $15... like the daily access fee at The Gunks, except you only need to pay if you get caught. :)

Eric Bratschun · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 75

Good point! Climb on!:)

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960

Seems really suspect... I would just cancel plans and encourage other to do so... would send a message pretty quickly when these business start loosing all their climbing business.

Ross Hill · · Bishop, Ca · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20

I am on Koh Phi Phi right now. we also hesitated leaving Railay / Tonsai as we heard about the ban on climbing in PP from a few sources. What we found upon getting here is that yes, climbing without a permit is illegal. the permits are issued somewhere other than the island (I will try to find out today). climbing without a permit will result in a 500 baht fine. as someone pointed out earlier this is not very expensive. However, there is one guide service Phi Phi Island Climber run by Narong who has been able to secure a permit to guide on the island. The guide service is relevant because if Narong takes you out you are free from hassles of the park service (and the park service as we learned during our DWS is very hassley).
Narong is part of a now very small group of climber (about 3 remaining) working to keep the climbs safe by replacing bad bolts and threads. There is no Thaitanium project on Koh Phi Phi, everything narong makes beyond a living wage is put towards buying Titanium bolts, rings, and ropes (he says he's recently spent all his savings buying over 100 titanium bolts to place around the island). what he needs now is rope. As this is our last climbing destination we are leaving ours to Koh Phi Phi (more room in our luggage on the way home and safer routes when we return!) I haven't asked Narong about it, but he may be willing to sort out a work trade, his permit for your old rope. if this is your last climbing destination please consider leaving your rope for the other climbers to come.
If you decide to climb without a permit remember this is already an act of disrespect to local authority, they know we aren't stupid and that we are aware of the climbing ban. As anywhere being silent and respectful in the areas you climb and following Leave No Trace etiquette will greatly reduce your chance of being 'hassled' by local authority. If you do get caught please respect their authority by obeying them, paying your fines and apologizing. A bad relationship with these guys will only make problems worse.
Cheers,
Ross

Moogly Moog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

So is railay and tonsai banned as well? Or just koh phi phi and koh noa yoi?

I'm planning a trip in December and I really hope the climbing is allowed.

I also heard tonsai is pretty trashy. How is that currently? Pro tips/ recommendations?

k o r y · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Any updates?

Arne Sater · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I am going to Railay/Tonsai in two weeks. We are also planning to take a trip to koh noa yoi. Anyone have updates on the climbing ban?

-Arne

Moogly Moog wrote:So is railay and tonsai banned as well? Or just koh phi phi and koh noa yoi? I'm planning a trip in December and I really hope the climbing is allowed. I also heard tonsai is pretty trashy. How is that currently? Pro tips/ recommendations?
Nah, folks are climbing in Tonsai/Railay. It'd be pretty significant blow to the local economy to ban climbing there.

Tonsai is not the same area as Railay, though they're walking distance. There's a large karst formation that separates the two areas. Tonsai is not the tourist destination that Railay is, therefore the accommodations are cheaper and more ... rustic? Air conditioned rooms aren't as common on the Tonsai side. Though, in my opinion A/C isn't necessary if you're not hanging out in the room during the day.

I wouldn't call Tonsai trashy, unless you're standards are high. I think the typical climber type who is there for the cragging above all else will consider it paradise.
Moogly Moog · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0
Nathan Scherneck wrote: Nah, folks are climbing in Tonsai/Railay. It'd be pretty significant blow to the local economy to ban climbing there. Tonsai is not the same area as Railay, though they're walking distance. There's a large karst formation that separates the two areas. Tonsai is not the tourist destination that Railay is, therefore the accommodations are cheaper and more ... rustic? Air conditioned rooms aren't as common on the Tonsai side. Though, in my opinion A/C isn't necessary if you're not hanging out in the room during the day. I wouldn't call Tonsai trashy, unless you're standards are high. I think the typical climber type who is there for the cragging above all else will consider it paradise.
Awesome. Good to hear. Thanks! Should we reserve accommodation (we are going between christmas and new years) or should there be plenty of openings?
Moogly Moog wrote: Awesome. Good to hear. Thanks! Should we reserve accommodation (we are going between christmas and new years) or should there be plenty of openings?
Personally, I haven't visited during that time. If you're staying in Railay it might be wise to reserve your accommodations in advance. Not sure about Tonsai, but I'd guess there would be more walk-in availability over there.
Mindy Mitchell · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys, I'll be in Thailand late Dec./early Jan. and am wondering if anyone has an update on climbing bans there. Has it spread to more places? Only in the national parks? Since we'll only have about a week total for climbing, I want to make sure any plans we make will actually be able to happen when we arrive at the crags.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

MikePond · · Reno, NV · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 80

Any update on this? Thanks

Jared Scheid · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 65

I just bought a ticket to Thailand for November, and was planning on spending a week on Phi Phi Don. I also heard that many DWS spots were also illegal. Any updates?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Thailand: All climbing banned in Phi Phi Don"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started