Mountain Project Logo

Smoking at the crag

Original Post
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

My fellow MPers.  Imagine this...  You're climbing at your limit, on lead, and breathing hard.  You're not sure you can hang on.  Then, all of a sudden, you get a big fat huge whiff of 2nd hand smoke.

Heavy, heavy sigh...

So this is what happened to me today at Pentapitch.

Please, please, please!

Please!  I'm pleading with anyone who'll listen, anyone who'll care...

Please be considerate of others at the crag if you choose to smoke there.  I'm not saying people shouldn't smoke at the crag.  But if you do choose to do that, please consider how your smoking may effect those around you.  Some (such as myself) are much more sensitive to 2nd hand smoke than others.

Yes, you have a right to smoke.  But don't we all have a right to breath fresh mountain air?  When one person's right begins to infringe on the rights of others, then we all have to work out some soft of compromise.  If I ask you to stop smoking, because I can't breath, please don't be a jerk, and continue to smoke anyway.

Thanks.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

So you not wanting people to smoke is more important than someone else over here who wants to smoke?

Unless the crag you are climbing out says you can't smoke they are more than welcome to do it all they want. What about all those hikers who want to hike along the cliff, they should be able to tell you to stop climbing as well.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

During one of my first trips to the Red, I encounter d a group at the 5.9 wall (Military) smoking copious amounts of pot.  One guy even took a huge hit right before belaying his partner.  Needless to say, they were...slow and ended up hogging the wall all morning.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ViperScale wrote:

So you not wanting people to smoke is more important than someone else over here who wants to smoke?

Unless the crag you are climbing out says you can't smoke they are more than welcome to do it all they want. What about all those hikers who want to hike along the cliff, they should be able to tell you to stop climbing as well.

That's not what his post said.

Spencer Parkin wrote:

Please be considerate of others at the crag if you choose to smoke there.  I'm not saying people shouldn't smoke at the crag.  But if you do choose to do that, please consider how your smoking may effect those around you.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Ted Pinson wrote:

During one of my first trips to the Red, I encounter d a group at the 5.9 wall (Military) smoking copious amounts of pot.  One guy even took a huge hit right before belaying his partner.  Needless to say, they were...slow and ended up hogging the wall all morning.

Dang wall-hogging pot-heads.................... ;)

Seriously.  ONE of those activities I could have tolerated, but the combination was too much.

Marc801 C wrote:

That's not what his post said.

Pretty sure that is what his post said. I know you guys can legally smoke at the crag but because I don't want you to you need to take my feelings into consideration and not smoke.... so my feelings about smoking are more important than yours.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ViperScale wrote:

Pretty sure that is what his post said. I know you guys can legally smoke at the crag but because I don't want you to you need to take my feelings into consideration and not smoke.... so my feelings about smoking are more important than yours.

You're either an idiot or a troll.

Why do people think their wishes are more important than others? That's all he is saying is me wanting to breath the mountain fresh air is more important than this other person wanting to smoke. You are in denial if you think that isn't what he is saying.

BigCountry · · The High Country · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20
Marc801 C wrote:

You're either an idiot or a troll.

No you have your head up your ass and aren't reading what he's typing. Viper is just saying the same thing just not being afraid to use micro aggressions or whatever.

Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

I enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco.

James Witowsky · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 555

Smoking kills...just not fast enough

ViperScale wrote:

Why do people think their wishes are more important than others? That's all he is saying is me wanting to breath the mountain fresh air is more important than this other person wanting to smoke. You are in denial if you think that isn't what he is saying.

If I wished to punch you in the face, would you not agree that your wish to not be punched in the face was more important?  This is at an outdoor crag where you literally could go ANYWHERE else to smoke and not be affecting anyone else, but crags are a shared space.  It's like the music at the crags thread.  No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to smoke or listen to awful music outdoors, they're just saying not to be a dick about it and respect other people's space.

Ted Pinson wrote:

If I wished to punch you in the face, would you not agree that your wish to not be punched in the face was more important?  This is at an outdoor crag where you literally could go ANYWHERE else to smoke and not be affecting anyone else, but crags are a shared space.  It's like the music at the crags thread.  No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to smoke or listen to awful music outdoors, they're just saying not to be a dick about it and respect other people's space.

Difference is that would be illegal and you can get arrested for assault.

As much as I don't like music just like smoking if they want to do it they can do it I won't try to stop them.

BigCountry · · The High Country · Joined May 2012 · Points: 20
Ted Pinson wrote:

So much for micro aggressions! 

Daniel Ragsdale · · Portland, OR · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 60
ViperScale wrote:

As much as I don't like music just like smoking if they want to do it they can do it I won't try to stop them.

For reference, can we have your take on smoking pot at the crag then?

Especially cause weed is more common than cigs among climbers, at least in my experience.

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
ViperScale wrote:

I don't mind being the person that minds speaking up and stopping them.  

Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

I also don't mind telling someone to get their F-ing dog under control like I had to do a couple weeks ago up Boulder Canyon.  I don't mind telling someone to get their drone out of the sky like I did last year at Roadside at The Red.  If more people speak up, people might learn.

ViperScale wrote:

What you may not realize is that I was out of breath and all I had to breath was poison air.  I could not escape to fresh air; I was on the sharp end.  Can I please let this desire be a little more important than your smoking habit, just for the moment?

Give me a break.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Smoking at the crag"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started