Mountain Project Logo

Yelling at Tahquitz/Suicide

Jim Dallura · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I started climbing when I was 14 in 1982 and I'm so glad there was no such thing as the blogosphere then. I recently got this mountain project on my phone and I like it but when I read and witness kind of consant and whining and bantering it's pretty sad. Relax guys and get a grip this is America just do what you want and leave it at that. Breathe in breathe out, breathe in breathe out

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Fact: I stick clipped my way to this page of the discussion.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

some dude yelled super loud the other day at suicide, I heard it all the way over at tahquitz; later found out he took the nastiest of whips on hair lip. the yelling pretty much made any audible communication with my partner for a good 10 seconds. please be mindful of others and keep it down.

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430

I always figured if I didn't like noise and congestion I would go find another place to climb...or suck it up?

I'm also thinking that whining about it on the internet is probably not going to reach the target audience.

@OP Your concerns are very valid, good communication is key to climbing safety, but other than that a post like this really doesn't help the actual problem.

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
Guy Keesee wrote:

Boy o Boy.... this is a pretty entertaining topic. 

but at least one does not hear the awful sound of pounding pitons........ 

I love that sound! Tong, tonngg, tonnggg........Sometimes I pound pitons just to hear it.............and enlarge pin scars......... ;)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
John Barritt wrote:

I love that sound! Tong, tonngg, tonnggg........Sometimes I pound pitons just to hear it.............and enlarge pin scars......... ;)

If you like that sound, you'd love the sound a chisel on rock makes. And you can make holds much larger.

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,970
pkeds wrote:

some dude yelled super loud the other day at suicide, I heard it all the way over at tahquitz; later found out he took the nastiest of whips on hair lip. the yelling pretty much made any audible communication with my partner for a good 10 seconds. please be mindful of others and keep it down.

Another 5 star response!

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 1,739
Chris treggE wrote:

I was wondering if the amount of yelling has decreased yet.  

WHAT? DID YOU SAY, "OFF BELAY"?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Andrew Krajnik wrote:

WHAT? DID YOU SAY, "OFF BELAY"?

Will you please keep quiet? I can't hear what Chris said!

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Chris treggE wrote:

I was wondering if the amount of yelling has decreased yet.  

Tragically Chris some people haven't joined the silent climbing revolution yet. I heard a very nasty exchange over on Angels Fright on Sunday, I hope they made it off alive. Very sad state of affairs for such a pristine piece of rock.

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

I've been practicing...

what's the sign for "off belay"?

Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53
corpse wrote:

I've been practicing...

what's the sign for "off belay"?

I think it would be some sort of chopping  motion:)

IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

https://youtu.be/zCG4aWrUSRY

Here it is.  Supposed to say "off belay"

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Kat Hessen wrote:

I try to climb silent, but when your leader sandbags you on an overhanging crack and is belaying out of view, you sometimes need to shout to organize a bail/variation. We were loud for a bit on Sunday by Traitor Horn. I know it wasn't super considerate, but there was a mix of "SHIT I just fell and took a big swing for the fourth time" and "Okay, let's find a safe way to get me outta here". Yes, I'm a noob who can't clean a 5.10 overhanging crack (and yes I got a lesson that evening on how to prussik) but I still felt bad for disturbing the peace. 

There were several other parties on the wall, and I definitely had a few instances of hearing "OFF BELAY" with no name attached, and feeling my gut drop. I don't scream at Woodson, duh. You're never far enough away from your partner to necessitate that. I don't even grunt on the Big Grunt. But I'm guilty of Tahquitz yelling. I guess Santa won't be bringing me any ice axes this year. 

I had a similar issue happen over on Edgehogs. My partner fell at the final roof. I couldn't really hear her and she had to figure out how to get over the lip on her own, which she did. Screaming is really only necessary if things are really bad and you are really stuck. I think in many cases the yelling can just make a bad situation worse. As a leader I make sure to anticipate my partners skills and pick appropriate routes so as a team we don't get in a rescue scenario.

Joshua Reinig · · Lone Pine Ca. · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 18,210

Gotta love our Soul Cal climbing community!!! :)

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 4,402

effective voice communications are the basics, not extra "elegance" beyond the basics.  sloppy comm could kill you, or get someone else killed.  if you still see life critical skills as "graceful" touches, your mindset is way off in the wrong.  whoev played part in misleading you, or in rushing you onto multi's evidently without adequate prep, hadn't done you any favors

think about it.  it only takes a practice sesh or two to hone comm skills so that no one would be left clueless while actually on a multi, even for their first multi.  and aren't you supposed to be well-versed in precise voice comm anyway while single pitch cragging with other parties around?  or are you just as sloppy and dangerous in those situ's too?

not picking on you, as this is for others in general too.  there's absolutely no excuse to have no inkling about effective comm on a multi, or to botch that bec still too "tricky" or too difficult to "focus" on

and dismissing all voice comm, including proper effective voice comm, on acct of sloppy comm to advocate a silent mode that has its own dangerous shortcomings while you yourself are still oblivious to those, that's a whole other level of shithead dumbfuckery

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812
Sean wrote:

if you still see life critical skills as "graceful" touches, your mindset is way off in the wrong.  whoev played part in misleading you, or in rushing you onto multi's evidently without adequate prep, hadn't done you any favors ...... and aren't you supposed to be well-versed in precise voice comm anyway while single pitch cragging with other parties around?  or are you just as sloppy and dangerous in those situ's too? ... absolutely no excuse to have no inkling about effective comm on a multi, or to botch that bec still too "tricky" or too difficult to "focus" on ... and dismissing all voice comm ... on acct of sloppy comm to advocate a silent mode ... that's a whole other level of shithead dumbfuckery

Hyperbole-ize much?

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Grace is an antidote to the mind-crowding alarms evoked by yelling in a way beyond just raising the volume of one's voice to be heard.  I mean the yelling that expresses or results in anger, panic, shame, etc..  Those emotions make it challenging if not impossible for some to think rationally through a problem.  Grace is very much what I like in a partner for safety's sake. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Yelling at Tahquitz/Suicide"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started