Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in shade: vantage

Original Post
alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

We are going to be at the gorge for a jack Johnson concert this weekend, and figuring we'd make a weekend out of it wanted to climb at vantage. I know it's going to be extremely hot there, but is there any good places to climb in the shade besides the north side of the feathers? Thanks

Jon Nelson · · Redmond, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 8,191

The Middle-East Wall is cool and has fantastic routes. I've climbed there in July. 

Oren Cowlishaw · · WA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 230

Zig-Zag wall is another good option. Many moderate sport routes to choose from there including 8 newer routes that all range between 5.8 - .10b. We used painted Fixe hangers on every new route as a reference. The older routes are all listed here on MP as well. Enjoy!

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

Green wall has a few routes on it as well that are decent, so that's 4 walls in total that have shade most of the day. (Not counting the more obscure and less traveled walls) 

I Haven't looked at the forecast, but I climbed in vantage for 3 days last year in July, while the temps were in the 90's. however, the wind was blowing 20-25mph the whole weekend and actually made for a pleasant experience, even in the mid-day sun. 

have fun.

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240

If you're traveling from W.Wash over I90 note that they are doing major construction from Exit 31 to the pass and expect major delays.  Might be worth checking out wdot's sight to see what the status is.  I got stuck in it a couple weeks ago trying to take my Mom to Exit 38 and it took us over an hour to get from 32-38.  Hwy 2 may be a better option.  Just a heads up.  Also if my memory serves correct I think the Middle East wall gets decent morning shade and has some quality routes but I could be wrong. 

Edit: From WDOT 

North Bend Vicinity
Mileposts: 34 - 52

• Friday, July 14 - Friday, July 21 - Eastbound drivers can expect lane closures 24 hours a day from milepost 34 near North Bend to milepost 52 near the summit of Snoqualmie pass. Drivers traveling on Fridays should plan for 30 minutes of added travel time due to increased traffic volumes for the weekend.
  • Friday, July 14 - Wednesday, Aug. 30 - The westbound lanes from milepost 52 near the summit of Snoqualmie Pass to milepost 34 near North Bend will be reduced to two lanes, with one lane shifted around the work zone as crews repair several bridge decks. This traffic shift will remain in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until Aug. 30.

Snoqualmie Pass Vicinity
Mileposts: 57 - 69

• Monday, July 17 - Saturday, July 22 - Nighttime westbound and eastbound lane closures are expected between the Hyak vicinity near milepost 57 to the Price Creek area near milepost 61. Drivers will experience minor delays through the same area due to daytime rolling slowdowns.
TaylorLutz · · Seattle · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 65
BrokenChairs wrote:

If you're traveling from W.Wash over I90 note that they are doing major construction from Exit 31 to the pass and expect major delays.  Might be worth checking out wdot's sight to see what the status is.  I got stuck in it a couple weeks ago trying to take my Mom to Exit 38 and it took us over an hour to get from 32-38.  Hwy 2 may be a better option.  Just a heads up.  Also if my memory serves correct I think the Middle East wall gets decent morning shade and has some quality routes but I could be wrong. 

Edit: From WDOT 

North Bend Vicinity
Mileposts: 34 - 52

• Friday, July 14 - Friday, July 21 - Eastbound drivers can expect lane closures 24 hours a day from milepost 34 near North Bend to milepost 52 near the summit of Snoqualmie pass. Drivers traveling on Fridays should plan for 30 minutes of added travel time due to increased traffic volumes for the weekend.
  • Friday, July 14 - Wednesday, Aug. 30 - The westbound lanes from milepost 52 near the summit of Snoqualmie Pass to milepost 34 near North Bend will be reduced to two lanes, with one lane shifted around the work zone as crews repair several bridge decks. This traffic shift will remain in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until Aug. 30.

Snoqualmie Pass Vicinity
Mileposts: 57 - 69

• Monday, July 17 - Saturday, July 22 - Nighttime westbound and eastbound lane closures are expected between the Hyak vicinity near milepost 57 to the Price Creek area near milepost 61. Drivers will experience minor delays through the same area due to daytime rolling slowdowns.

Don't take 2. if either way has zero delays taking 2 is 1.5 hours longer than 90 to get to vantage. and this weekend, there will be construction and delays on 2.

BrokenChairs 88 · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 240
TaylorLutz wrote:

Don't take 2. if either way has zero delays taking 2 is 1.5 hours longer than 90 to get to vantage. and this weekend, there will be construction and delays on 2.

Yeah I just read that last night.  Super lame they are constructing all the E/W routes for the rest of the summer.

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95
BrokenChairs wrote:

Yeah I just read that last night.  Super lame they are constructing all the E/W routes for the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we are leaving at 9 pm tonight so I don't foresee a lot of traffic. I appreciate all the help

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing in shade: vantage"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started