Mountain Project Logo

How to increase strength of the arms?

Original Post
Jen Saito · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Hi everybody! I go hiking and camping for years, but want to try rock climbing. It is best to go to an indoor rock climbing gym, I did that and realized, that my arms are not strong enough. What exercises are the best to decide this problem?

John Sullivan · · Portland · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Just climb as much as you can in the gym, and if you can find an autobelay to just climb up and own over and over on do that until you can't hold on anymore. The strength will come from reps

Eric Chabot · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 45

...paging aleks Z...

kenr · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 16,608

More days at an indoor climbing gym which has good route setting is the simplest quickest most effective way to build _climbing relevant_ arm strength.
Provided you back off when tired and don't overdo it. And take rest days.

Ken

More days at an indoor climbing gym which has good route setting is the simplest quickest most effective way to build _climbing relevant_ arm strength.
Provided you back off when tired and don't overdo it. And take rest days.

Ken

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 406

I found that indoor climbing focuses more on arm strength, while outdoor is more varied and is usually more about footwork and balance.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

Your not having much strength in your arms is an advantage!

That way, you will be learning to climb in a way that is more conducive to using proper technique (footwork, balance, flexibility, hip movement, torso movement and positioning, etc.) rather than just muscling your way up, which would just lead to you a plateau down the road.

Like others have said, climbing [while learning and using proper technique] will build more than enough arm strength. 

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Jen Saito · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Thank you all for your advice! I'll do hard in the gym and hope to try myself at outdoors within the next few weeks. 

I'm going to take a trip to the Cascade Mountain (Adirondacks) in September, it's almost 5 miles long hiking trails and which ends with a little open rock for climbing. Having heard that most people who attempt to hike the all Adirondack high peaks start with Cascade, so do I. Have anybody been there?)

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Get some dumb bells and finger resistance bands, too.  Do reverse wrist curls with the dumb bells.  Rock climbing tends to focuse more muscle growth on the inside of your forearms.  And if you don't balance that by working out the back of them, you are likely to get injured easily 

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

Ho ho! you would like to be getting 'swole and increasing "Strength of arms" yes? You must follow 4-plan relentlessly, as well as cutting your feet as often as possibly and conducting the angry campusing far before you are ready, max strength 4 weeks quadrupling, as well as deadly crushing single max hang of hangboard type warrior mountain gorilla crushing smaller gorilla's head with open 5 point palm squeezing exploding head technique, all your enemies slain before you, all your flash are belong to me.

It also may help to eat diet full of high quality cheesesteak and greasy, greasy bloody drizzling fishhead out of bucket, max power crushing, max flash. Also your trainer she may slap you with frozen fish in the face each time you complete one pullup, for help you become more bold and toughened.

It also may help for refrainment from all sexual activity as you build your frustration and nerd levels ever higher until you may properly utilize teh hangboard with teh spreadsheetz!

Finally you will let go your clinging ego desire strong arms crushing and image of climber you wish to be, fully immerse yourself each moment training pumping flashing, knowing each moment it never is coming again and each day may be your last.

also, do not forget, once you can climb at elast the 5.12 or 5.13, to claim to the others that you don't care about grades, even aas they hear you screaming with delight once you send next route harder, or shrieking in anguish as you fall off of it your project, and they observe your eating disorders and unhealthy obsession with the training and the pulling rock.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

You only think you need strong arms. As you get better as a climber you'll realize that hand strength is more important, along with proper footwork and technique. Beginners feel it in their arms because they're overgripping and hanging with their arms flexed. Learn to rest en route and that'll all change.

Jen Saito wrote:
> I'm going to take a trip to the Cascade Mountain (Adirondacks) in September,
> it's almost 5 miles long hiking trails and which end swith a little open rock for climbing.

Good, but the rock climbing needed to reach the summits of Adirondack NY high peaks has almost nothing to do with arm strength.

And truly nothing to do with the climbing moves and perceptions you will improve (indeed greatly) by multiple sessions at an indoor climbing gym.

Rather gym climbing will tend to _dull_ your perceptions for climbing on Adirondack NY peak style rock.

Ken

AndrewArroz wrote:

You only think you need strong arms. As you get better as a climber you'll realize that hand strength is more important, along with proper footwork and technique. Beginners feel it in their arms because they're overgripping and hanging with their arms flexed. Learn to rest en route and that'll all change.

Hand strength is important?

- Jugs

- Slopers

- Pinches

- Crimps

- Open Hand

Five types of different climbing holds, and only in ONE out of the five does hand strength (grip strength) matter.

I agree with everything else you said.

JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531
Khoi wrote:

Hand strength is important?

- Jugs

- Slopers

- Pinches

- Crimps

- Open Hand

Five types of different climbing holds, and only in ONE out of the five does hand strength (grip strength) matter.

I agree with everything else you said.

Really? Please elaborate.

Kyle sharp · · Reno, NV · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20

Can't overestate the importance of hand/finger strength and good foot work. 

JJNS wrote:

Really? Please elaborate.

Pinches are the only type of holds where grip strength is required.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Khoi wrote:

Your assuming that "grip strength" only applies to closing both your finders and thumb around something.  In fact, grip strength involves any hand strength used to hold something or hang from something.  You don't pinch the handle of a bucket, but you use grip strength to keep from dropping it.  That's a similar grip to holding a jug.  

Pinches are the most used type where you close your fingers and thumb around a hold, but all climbing holds require grip strength.  If you had none, your fingers would just flap open and you'd never keep your hands on the wall

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

You want arm strength? Lift weights. 

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

Don't forget to work your antagonist muscles with exercises like pushups, dips and reverse wrist curls to prevent lopsided muscle development, which can contribute to tendonitis.

Another good workout is speed-reading all of the microaggression threads on Mountainproject. At 10+ pages each, they're great at developing index finger strength for mono pockets. Be sure to alternate mouse hands. I usually do three sets of ten pages. It helps to warm up on some easier stuff first, though, like "Help Me Critique My Toprope Solo Setup" and "What's the best way to resling cams?"

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11
Khoi wrote:

I said hand strength. Not just "pinching" grip strength.

If hand strength isn't important why do you think climbers do hangboard workouts?

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/adventure/photos/2017/stories/alex-honnold/alex-honnold-summit/alex-honnold-van-excerise-yosemite.jpg

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "How to increase strength of the arms? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started