Mountain Project Logo

Best Volcano Guidebook

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

Wondering what guidebook people recommend for the Cascade Volcanoes. Is there one book that has enough info on each peak or should I get short books for each peak like I have with Rainier? 

Thanks.

Alexander K · · The road · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 130
Jake wander wrote:

Wondering what guidebook people recommend for the Cascade Volcanoes. Is there one book that has enough info on each peak or should I get short books for each peak like I have with Rainier? 

Thanks.

Smoot's best climbs cascade volcanoes ebook is a good choice. Has all the classic routes. I've used it to climb routes on just about all of them without issue. And it's easy to pull up topos on your phone.

plurpimpin · · PDX · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Depends where you're climbing, I've amassed a small library because its hard to find one with everything I'm interested in. The issue with one book for the whole range like Smoot's is that they usually have a route or two on each peak.

For Oregon volcanoes nothing beats Oregon High though. It's extremely comprehensive and has most of routes on each peak. It's out of print but if you keep an eye out used copies aren't too hard to come by

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 528

The Hood guidebook by Mullee is fantastic, highly recommended.

Nick Cypress · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

I second the Mullee book for Hood. Terrific!

For Washington the three Beckey books are classics that are comprehensive to the point of having relatively minimal route info at times, particularly for less technical or more obscure routes. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Best Volcano Guidebook"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.