Mountain Project Logo

Hanging a Hammock from portaledge?

Original Post
Blake Wold · · Burlington, Wa · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

Howdy wall gurus, 

after searching the interwebs, I've come up with zero info about hanging a hammock from a double ledge.

I know people have done this, and it seems like an elementary task for a wall climber, but I'd like to know more.

Has anyone here ever tried this? Will I wreck my ledge? I would love to do some party walls this fall with a party of 3.

Cheers

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

When I climbed Zenyatta Mondatta there was a Korean team on Zodiac that hung some sort of hammock from one of their ledges. I have a photo somewhere that I'll try to find.

Essentially they had a piece of material hung from the four corners and the two mid point straps that the ledge hangs from.

Donald Letts · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 149
Mark Hudon wrote:

When I climbed Zenyatta Mondatta there was a Korean team on Zodiac that hung some sort of hammock from one of their ledges. I have a photo somewhere that I'll try to find.

Essentially they had a piece of material hung from the four corners and the two mid point straps that the ledge hangs from.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116577194626817618731/album/AF1QipOtcNiya8kK5gW9lE5dO0zl8V9bqVWA5tymIhq0/AF1QipMIZ8vpg8anUofrkuvsopplayWzbnfGqHEcJu1m

Yup, there ya go. 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

That doesn't look like the ledge is very happy with that situation. 

For the OP: hammock =/= partywall. If you want to go up there and partywall, every climbers should have their own ledge for party space, better sleep, and increased general tomfoolery. Also if you don't bring something inflatable, it aint a party. 

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70
delly84 wrote:

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116577194626817618731/album/AF1QipOtcNiya8kK5gW9lE5dO0zl8V9bqVWA5tymIhq0/AF1QipMIZ8vpg8anUofrkuvsopplayWzbnfGqHEcJu1m

I'm not a structural engineer, but I would guess that unless the ledge has a spreader bar one might be best only clipping the hammock to the corners of the ledge, not to the middle of the long side.

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 70

Or simply making a short 2 piece bar  

Donald Letts · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 149
David Coley wrote:

Or simply making a short 2 piece bar  

that's what i was thinking, that ledge looks to be in a shite state of affairs

It seems like a good idea but, yeah, it needs some work.

Obviously the person to talk to is Duecy since he made plans and executed hammocks under ledges back in the day (to be used along with the diamond fly design IIRC) 

http://www.bigwalls.net/new2016/1996Catalog.pdf

Page 5: The Diamond ledge comes with a super comfortable hammock that can be suspended underneath the ledge frame for a third person.

http://www.bigwalls.net/new2016/A5Catalog1.pdf

Page 3: A5 Wall Condo Portaledge (Condo = underside hammock - my parenthetical)

Blake Wold · · Burlington, Wa · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25

Thanks guys, Mark's photo illustrates exactly what I'm afraid of, that ledge looks TIRED! I know some older ledges use to be designed for that kind of setup, but I also know they don't make them like they use to either. Kevin, now that you mention it, everyone having their own ledge sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the help/tips.

Yosoymilk wrote:

Thanks guys, Mark's photo illustrates exactly what I'm afraid of, that ledge looks TIRED! I know some older ledges use to be designed for that kind of setup, but I also know they don't make them like they use to either. Kevin, now that you mention it, everyone having their own ledge sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the help/tips.

Don't forget the inflatable sheep!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Hanging a Hammock from portaledge?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started