Mountain Project Logo

Black Diamond Alpenglow Sun Hoody Review

Original Post
David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152

I love that so many companies are starting to add sun hoodies to their assortments. I got to try this new one by Black Diamond and was quite happy with it. Detailed review here:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/05/08/gear-review-black-diamond-alpenglow-sun-hoody/

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I have two of the Patagonia ones, which I like.  I think you may have tested that one too.  Any words of comparison?

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

Yea anyone have some other comments on a favorite sun shirt.. I want to try this out, I've always just done T shirt and sun screen but I want to believe the "cooler than a t shirt" hype.

Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

I bought one of the BD ones and wore it almost daily for a week in Red Rock.  Highly recommended.  They definitely work best in less humid environments, and feel perfect if there is a light breeze.  I have also have one of the ex officio ones, that was rated as something like the "best in new gear" by backpacker a couple of years ago.  It is also good, but looks more technical, and its hood is less compatible with wearing a helmet.  I'd go with the BD ones for climbing, especially if you spend time in the desert.

KenH307 · · Laramie, WY · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 25

I too would be interested in hearing how this compares to Patagonia's offering.  I'm looking to pick up one of the two but it's a bit of a toss-up so far.  Any other notes on sizing?

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Took the Patagonia one up El Cap twice, first time over four days, second time IAD. The thing absolutely rocks. Fits both over and under your helmet, depending on whether you want more or less ventilation. Badass piece.

La MoMoface · · Arvada, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 60
Nathanael wrote:

Yea anyone have some other comments on a favorite sun shirt.. I want to try this out, I've always just done T shirt and sun screen but I want to believe the "cooler than a t shirt" hype.

I have three of the Patagonia hoodies and wear them year round. Fishing and climbing. They're definitely not sexy, especially with the hood up. But, you stay cool and don't get cancer, so it's a win! I'm terrible with applying sunscreen so I just always keep a hoody on hand. 

Big Red · · Seattle · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 940

I've had both of the Patagonia sun hoodie models: the one meant for climbing and the one meant for fly fishing. The one meant for climbing is most similar to the BD model in terms of material weight, and I have to say that I found it too thick and heavy for serious heat. The one meant for fly fishing, however, has about 60% of the material weight and is appropriately lightweight and cool enough to use in hot, humid sun conditions. I've worn it for about 5 years, through some of the worst conditions you can imagine (chimneys, thorny bushes, etc) and it has held up marvelously.

David Lottmann · · Conway, NH · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 152
rgold wrote:

Within the review click buy on Backcountry and use promo code "BCTWENTY" to bring it down to $63.20

For the Black Diamond one you can get it at EMS for the same 20% off price...

First click on Buy at EMS in the review:

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/05/08/gear-review-black-diamond-alpenglow-sun-hoody/

Use promo code "GEAR" at checkout.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

I ordered one from EMS and just got it... the sizing seems wonky.  I wear XL t-shirts, L in most BD, Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc etc clothes, and the Alpenglow in size L is absurdly baggy.  I'll probably exchange it for a medium.

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 451
KenH307 wrote:

I too would be interested in hearing how this compares to Patagonia's offering.  I'm looking to pick up one of the two but it's a bit of a toss-up so far.  Any other notes on sizing?

6' 3", skinny as hell, +4 ape index.  I got the medium after trying it on in store.  The sleeve ends right at my wrist.  BD tends to size for a positive ape index.  

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Adam Fleming wrote:

6' 3", skinny as hell, +4 ape index.  I got the medium after trying it on in store.  The sleeve ends right at my wrist.  BD tends to size for a positive ape index.  

Just out of curiosity, what is skinny as hell?

Big B · · Reno, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 1
Muscrat wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what is skinny as hell?

When you look like a tweeker?!?

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
Noah Yetter wrote:

I ordered one from EMS and just got it... the sizing seems wonky.  I wear XL t-shirts, L in most BD, Patagonia, Arcteryx, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc etc clothes, and the Alpenglow in size L is absurdly baggy.  I'll probably exchange it for a medium.

I decided to keep it instead of exchange it, and I'm happy with the sizing after having worn it. Climbed and rappelled 4 pitches in direct sun, didn't get burned, didn't feel overly hot. Thumbs up.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

i used my new alpenglow for the first time this weekend.  for the record, i absolutely hate climbing in the sun if it is warmer than about 50 degrees.  this thing worked really well.  kept the sun and bugs off my skin, very light and not hot.  i'm a big fan.

CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

I picked one up this year after getting toasted climbing last summer. Absolutely love it. Stayed reasonably comfortable even in 80+ degrees full sun with a light breeze. 

6'0 170# +3: Medium fits well, large was like a parachute. Sleeves and waist are plenty long for my liking. Hood easily fits over my helmet. 

mbk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

EMS also has a "store brand" hoody.   It is not as stylish as the patagonia + BD ones, but it works.   Wait for a sale, I think I paid $25 for mine.

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I use similar lightweight sun hoodies all the time and love them. Currently I have one by O'Neill and one by Columbia. Both can get wet and dry quickly. 

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445
slim wrote:

i used my new alpenglow for the first time this weekend.  for the record, i absolutely hate climbing in the sun if it is warmer than about 50 degrees.  this thing worked really well.  kept the sun and bugs off my skin, very light and not hot.  i'm a big fan.

What size are you in the BD model, Slim?   I have the Patagonia one, which I love, but was thinking about getting a second one…  BD or another Patagonia...

bearded sam · · Crested Butte, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 145

I suggest the Voormi sun shirt. The hood fits over or under a climbing helmet and due to the wool content, it doesn't get the stench of a synthetic. I have had it over a year, used it for climbing including the EVO traverse,  and spring skiing. It still looks new, so the durability is top notch. Also, American made! https://voormi.com/collections/shop/products/mens-river-shirt

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "Black Diamond Alpenglow Sun Hoody Review"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started