Mountain Project Logo

Ancient Art Christmas Tree - Common Sense Applies

Larry Harpe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 43
Em Cos wrote:

I'm not missing your point, I just disagree with it. I don't think caring about one topic is evidence of a lack of caring about any other topic. 

20 years of fire falls is not enough evidence?

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

Larry, read her post again. She's saying that you can care about more than one thing at a time.

jason.cre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 10
Larry Harpe wrote:

20 years of fire falls is not enough evidence?

Nobody fall for this trumpian distraction technique!

Larry Harpe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 43
jason.cre wrote:

Nobody fall for this trumpian distraction technique!

Fall for what? I was just stating the humor in all the internet lynch mob mentality. Please carry on. 

Aaron Danforth · · Cody, WY · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

Larry, I don't think the two situations are comparable for several reasons. The stunt on Ancient Art was a publicity stunt by climbers posted online. It was designed to create publicity and garner attention. It did that, but in a mostly negative way. Most people I know don't feel particularly strongly about the stunt itself (I thought it was lame and wish they'd cleaned up better, but that's about it), but about Andy's violent reaction to criticism is what has caused this incident to endure. 

The incident(s) that you are speaking of are not publicized online anywhere that I could find and you've given very vague descriptions. In all likelihood, it's only Moab locals who know about it. If you truly think it's a problem that deserves some action and outrage, post up the details. 

It's a fallacy to say that because people care about x, they don't care about y. It's completely reasonable to think that both x and y are problems worthy of attention and pretending otherwise isn't useful to solving either issue.

Larry Harpe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 43
Danforth wrote:

Larry, I don't think the two situations are comparable for several reasons. The stunt on Ancient Art was a publicity stunt by climbers posted online. It was designed to create publicity and garner attention. It did that, but in a mostly negative way. Most people I know don't feel particularly strongly about the stunt itself (I thought it was lame and wish they'd cleaned up better, but that's about it), but about Andy's violent reaction to criticism is what has caused this incident to endure. 

The incident(s) that you are speaking of are not publicized online anywhere that I could find and you've given very vague descriptions. In all likelihood, it's only Moab locals who know about it. If you truly think it's a problem that deserves some action and outrage, post up the details. 

It's a fallacy to say that because people care about x, they don't care about y. It's completely reasonable to think that both x and y are problems worthy of attention and pretending otherwise isn't useful to solving either issue.

Oh is that what we're doing here? Solving issues? I thought we were just bitching on the inter web. I've only seen one local on this thread complaining about The Christmas tree. While I respect her opinion it does not reflect what most locals think. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Larry Harpe wrote:

I thought we were just bitching on the inter web.

That's what you are doing.  

Everyone else here is trying to have an actual conversation.

Kiley Miller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0
Larry Harpe wrote:

20 years of fire falls is not enough evidence?

Hey Larry just wanted you to know that I did email the DayStar Academy with my concerns about this. I reminded them of what their own official environmental statement was and that after reading their statement one could say that they weren't following it by practicing this tradition. I reminded them that Parriott Mesa is habitat and that by doing this they are disrespecting habitat and that it is irresponsible behavior and not good stewardship of the land. They've been doing this for 43 years, I had no idea about it until I saw it in the paper. 

I think we humans to often forget that the Earth is not ours to do with however we please, that it is all habitat and that we need to respect that many many other living things are sharing this big amazing planet with us.

Kiley Miller

Moab

http://moabtimes.com/view/full_story/27199597/article--Castle-Valley-Comments-June-2--2016-

 https://www.adventist.org/en/information/official-statements/statements/article/go/-/stewardship-of-the-environment/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ancient Art Christmas Tree - Common Sense Applies"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.