Mountain Project Logo

Secor's way

Original Post
Dunder Thunder · · Ventura ca · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 53

Going to charlotte dome for a few days in July, and trying to find out more about secor's way, other then what I've seen on super topo, and a few other forums. 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

I have always walked in from the West.... but some of my friends swear by the East way......   what does Secor say???

Last year was my first time there. And we went in from the east. The party that we camped with said something tho the effect of "never coming from the west side again" though. I assume they've done both ways then.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

This year... hiking from the east might be a snow fest

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10

Don't have the guidebooks in front of me but if my memory serves me super taco references a route variation on their topo called secors way; it's got nothing to do with the approach.  You might miss out on the furrows pitch if you take the variation so I would advise against it.  I'll check the topo when I get home.

I took the east approach and it was a gorgeous hike. If I ever return I'm taking another day just to swim and explore.  Haven't come in from the west but I can only assume that both ways are ass kickers if you're not in decent shape or carrying a heavy overnight pack.

Other than the classic SF route what other routes are recommended? 

everbrad wrote:

Don't have the guidebooks in front of me but if my memory serves me super taco references a route variation on their topo called secors way; it's got nothing to do with the approach.  You might miss out on the furrows pitch if you take the variation so I would advise against it.  I'll check the topo when I get home.

I took the east approach and it was a gorgeous hike. If I ever return I'm taking another day just to swim and explore.  Haven't come in from the west but I can only assume that both ways are ass kickers if you're not in decent shape or carrying a heavy overnight pack.

Other than the classic SF route what other routes are recommended? 

I really enjoyed the whole climb, but honestly didn't find the furrows pitch all that memorable. The route/variation in question has no rating on the super topo map or gear recommendations.    

Any way, the plan for this year is five days. One day to walk in, two days of climbing, and either two more relaxed days to get out. Or one day to relax and one day to get out.

The other routes we are looking at are here on MP. I believe it's the South West Arete and The Epic Currean's  Route.

everbrad · · Orange County · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 10

The first edition super taco for the high Sierra was printed in 2004 and secors guide was updated in 2009.  The description in secors update matches super tacos topo so I can only assume that a previous version of secors described the variation shown in super taco.  secors update also references super taco as further reading. The secors way variation does show it bypassing the furrows pitch. 

Secors lists 11 routes for c dome.  the epic cureans doesn't read all that inspiring for a backcountry route when there are so many other routes to choose from. Charlottes web and the southwest arete appear to be worthy. But why go back there when you just went last year and have 5 days to explore a new area of the Sierras?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Secor's way"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.