Mountain Project Logo

Cutting Velcro straps?

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Hey everyone,

So I just got a pair of Ansasazi VCS's.  Great fit overall, but I have super narrow heels and I have to crank down the back straps to get a snug fit and not feel like my heel is going to slip.  This is fine, except the straps are super long and basically are extending all the way to the bottom of the shoe.  Same problem on Miuras, except it's even worse.  I was thinking of shortening the straps by cutting the ends off, and can't think of any particular reason why this would be a bad idea...can you?

I have, but they don't normally make women's shoes my size (13 US street).  Five Ten might, but LS definitely does not.  I also have a slightly wide toebox and longer 2nd/3rd toe.  My feet are messed up, lol.  Laces normally fit much better, but I like the easy on/off of Velcro for the gym.

Josh Kornish · · Whitefish, MT · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 800

Ted, 

When you cut your straps down you don't need to worry about heat sealing your edges but you'll want to reinforce the stitching between the leather and the velcro since there isn't a strong terminal stitch.  I'd recommend a little bit of seam grip over top stitching or just run it through a sewing machine so the two layers don't separate.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I'm not sure about the stitching on those shoes, but I cut the straps on my vapor v's and didn't have to reinforce the stitching.  It worked out great

Fairly certain the stitching is the same...good to know.  Having trouble picturing how the X would work, but I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Cutting Velcro straps?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started