Mountain Project Logo

Shooting Outer Space in Eldo yesterday

Original Post
John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

Anyone know any more about this?  This was at the base: 

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

I like how it thanks you for your cooperation without specifying what cooperation they would like from you. I assume they'd like you not to climb the route, but I'm curious if you're actually not allowed to or if it's just a request...

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

If there was actucally a permit why isn't a copy included there?

Jacqueline Niles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 325

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely hilarious? Why cut out of work early, or queue up for a classic when you can just make a reservation! ;)

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

Wait climbing 10b/c gets you a reservation & photo shoot these days? And here I thought I'd have to be at the 5.14 X level all these years silly me.

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 96

BTW I was actually up on the Bastille on Monday. 99% sure it was Andy Mann & crew shooting something (hopefully rad).

Nick Blankenberger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 35

Looking across from Wind Tower when they were filming, it looked like a climber was free soloing the final pitch right at sunset.  The lighting was perfect, I bet they caught some neat shots.

Adam Reke · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2013 · Points: 10

come on guys, the note doesn't even suggest that you can't climb the route. There's nothing wrong with providing awareness to people that they may run into some filming/shooting if they climb a route. Wouldn't you prefer to know that before you head up that stumble upon  that? Would you rather them not say anything? 

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
J. Niles wrote:

Am I the only one that finds this absolutely hilarious? Why cut out of work early, or queue up for a classic when you can just make a reservation! ;)

Yes, you're the only one. ;)

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Adam Reke wrote:

come on guys, the note doesn't even suggest that you can't climb the route. There's nothing wrong with providing awareness to people that they may run into some filming/shooting if they climb a route. Wouldn't you prefer to know that before you head up that stumble upon  that? Would you rather them not say anything? 

Agreed, but what does the "thank you for your cooperation" mean? To me this says, "We're filming and we don't want you in the shot, so don't climb" ? Maybe I'm just cynical and it was just a heads up like you say?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Adam Reke wrote:

Of course they shouldn't have said anything. By doing so they eliminated all the self-righteous, passive-agressive complaint posts here on MP.

John RB · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 159

I ran into the crew on the Fowler trail behind the Bastille and asked one of the guys what they were shooting.  He said, "it's for a photography magazine not a climbing magazine" so I doubt any of us will run across the results...

...unless someone here subscribes to photography mags?!

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
Adam Reke wrote:

I don't think anyone has a problem with the existence of the note. Personally, I'm interested in the lack of clarity. "Thank you for your cooperation" implies that they would like you to do something, without saying what that is. I'm curious to know what my rights and responsibilities are should I see a note like this in the future. 

For example, maybe their permit only allows them permission to film for commercial purposes and doesn't grant them any exclusive use of the route. Maybe it doesn't ask you not to climb because they aren't allowed to ask you that. In which case maybe they're hoping a vaguely worded note thanking you for unspecified cooperation will convince most people that they can't climb there. If it was an officially closed route, and the note was meant to convey that, it seems like an odd oversight not to mention it. 

I love Eldo and respect the people who work there and wouldn't want to make their jobs harder. If we're not supposed to climb in these cases, no problem. I'm just wondering whether that's actually the case.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Shooting Outer Space in Eldo yesterday"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started