Mountain Project Logo

Route Comment Diarrhea

Original Post
The Beagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

So I'm not sure that I understand this phenomena occurring on the comment sections of a lot of routes. In an absolutely shocking development, this seems to happen at an alarmingly high level on easy routes. How many times can you say that Cathedral Peak is awesome? Or that Solar Slab is fun. Or lie to yourself that Crimson Chrysalis is a great rock climb. Or just generally repeat the same thing that the 10 comments prior to you, as well as the 10 prior to that indicate. That isn't to say that consensus isn't worthwhile, but the fact that the lemmings line up to keep re-commenting and regurgitating their same pitch-by-pitch breakdowns of a route that sees 10 ascents on a regular weekend day is definitely bothersome.

Is it time for MP to create a thumbs up/thumbs down functionality for the comments? What say you, MP?

Chris C · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 396

(I'd thumbs down this post if it were available.)

The Beagle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

Forum clutter > Route Beta clutter.

A hell of a lot more people review the route beta than review this forum.

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,867

Just to clarify here, would 'route comment diarrhea' include or not include ending your post with a # phrase or posting a gif?  Some people do that too, which is just crazy.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
The Beagle wrote: Forum clutter > Route Beta clutter. A hell of a lot more people review the route beta than review this forum.

And some of the best "forum posts" are found in the route beta. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Great thread!

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

+1

Matt Swaim · · SLC · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 51

Yellow Spur is a perfect example.  Pages of scrolling before I found how to rapp off that thing!

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
matt swaim wrote:

Yellow Spur is a perfect example.  Pages of scrolling before I found how to rapp off that thing!

Thanks to someone for shitten out the beta for you 

Dustin Stotser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 371

The problem area you are referring to does go by the title "Comments" and not "Crucial Beta" or "How to Get Down", correct?

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

Tough crowd here today, Beagle. You forgot to mention the requests for the return of "lost" (aka left at base of route, etc) gear in the comments section. 

If the route info were editable / if people took the time to submit "improve this page" improvements, the beta that some people seek would not be hidden in the comments. 

If we don't want to be sprayed down with beta, we could stay away from the route database and possibly even climb sans guidebook, preferably on a route unknown to us and without anyone in our party who has prior ascents. Or, we could accept that  some people like to sleep in hotels and some people like to sleep on the ground (or the route info equivalent thereof). 

I am always happy to see when an admin has moved a "forum thread" from comments section over to the appropriate forum- with a link of course. 

Insert hashtag here. Insert Nicholas Cage gif here. Ps is it pronounced Gif of Jif???

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235
Matt Swaim · · SLC · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 51
BigB wrote:

Thanks to someone for shitten out the beta for you 

your c4 that "could be anywhere, we don't really know for sure" is much more relevant

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330
The Beagle wrote: blah blah... is definitely bothersome. 

Don't read the comments, problem solved.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Actually it is relevant, most climbers don't read the forum.... and only read the comments of the routes. So, submitting a comment asking kindly(offering rewards) if someone would return the cam if they stumbled upon it, seems as appropriate there as it would in a lost n found forum no one reads... and if I knew where it was... it wouldn't be "lost"  ;)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Route Comment Diarrhea "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.