Mountain Project Logo

Cheapest way from Anchorage to Talkeetna???

Original Post
madskates · · Oakley, UT · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 140

Hey guys,

I was just curious whats the cheapest way from Anchorage to Talkeetna? I've got a few quotes for $340 dollars one way for a party of two leaving the morning of may 11th. Is there a cheaper way? Or whats a good way to find another party leaving at that time and join them to make prices cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Zagorda · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 600
climbalaska.org/travel.html

The link gives several shuttle services. I remember it being about $180 round trip per person, but that was almost 10 years ago.
diepj · · PDX · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Cheapest way is to hitchhike!

Are you sure that quote isn't round trip? Gary @ GoPurple shuttle can usually do a private shuttle round trip (prepaid) for around that much. Includes a stop or 2 within reason to grocery or gear shop on the way. (And a free coffee and cookie).

I have used him before and he was a little squishy on the schedule but ultimately totally reliable.

I am also exploring other options and some have recommended Talkeetnataxi.

Ganging up teams into bigger parties is the second cheapest way to bring down the per capita cost...

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

Use go purple shuttle

Peter W · · Salt Lake City · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 5

Purple shuttle seemed to be the cheapest when I was looking last year, though I don't recall the cost. Don't expect plush accommodations, but the owner was working hard to get back and forth between ANK and Talkeetna so everyone could make their flights.

Ibrahim Cetindemir · · Ashford, WA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5

Purple shuttle is the least expensive one I've found so far. I've read on the forums about someone who advertises on craigslist and is somewhat known amongs climbers for being the cheapest option. Anyone know who that person in Anchorge might be? 

CCChanceR Ronemus · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 130

Gary at GoPurple sucks but is the cheapest for small teams.  Free cookies too!

akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

I can take you in a truck or an SUV but it'd be about noon. Can fit 4 in my truck and more or in the SUV. Send me a pm if your interested 

christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

i've always gone with "alaska dave" who i found on craigslist. may be the guy mentioned above, 

drives an old van and you sit on a milk crate, while he downshifts his automatic transmission to save his brakes?

Dont remember the price but i think it was around $100 per person

Ibrahim Cetindemir · · Ashford, WA · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5
christoph benells wrote:
christoph benells · · tahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 306

i found AK dave's contact info. PM me for inquiries. 

PaulMagnusCalabro · · Belgrade, MT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55

A little late here, but check out 'The Space Shuttle.'

spaceshuttleak.com

Noah, the dude who runs it, is supposed to be super cool and a climber. I haven't used him myself, but goddamn, it wouldn't take much to be better than Gary at GoPurple.

CCChanceR Ronemus · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 130

Haha true that!  Gary drove us in two loops around Anchorage after forgetting various things/people at the airport.  What a joker.  

(Btw hey Paul!  I think we skied on the Grand together in May!)

Ryan Schnell · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 5

Alaska Park Connection Bus is $65.

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

roller skates

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Cheapest way from Anchorage to Talkeetna??? "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started