Mountain Project Logo

Crag advice for long trip

Original Post
Josh Gates · · Wilmington, DE · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 4
  • This doesn't fit in any one particular region, but if there's a better spot for it, definitely put it where it should be!

I'm planning a trip this summer with my son to do a week or so of climbing between Delaware and Indianapolis. I'm looking for suggestions on the best spots to stop at to climb/camp along the way.

Us: 38/7 yo, top rope 5.11/5.8, boulder V4-5/1-2, lead 5.9-10

I'm open as to path - we could go through PA and OH or WV and KY, or any combination thereof.

Where are the best spots for us to hit? I'm also up for a day of guided stuff (would be the only way for me to climb roped), if there's a good place to do that. Bouldering would be best.

Thanks for the help!

jg
Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121

The Red would be a great option. But you only listed your TR ability, and you would need to lead there.

CCas · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 145

Do the latter... some local stuff in PA but nothing to write home about and OH is pretty bare. Locals from the area keep me honest...

That said i would suggest heading through WV and KY and hitting Seneca, NRG, and then the Red as major destinations. There will be tons of local crags along the way as well. Might be alot to do all three given ur time window but that is where u should be focused.

Areas are lead focused, but it shoudlnt be difficult to find other parties to put up ropes if necessary. Boukdering although not the main focus of those areas is abundant but may require digging on mp calling a local climbing stire to get beta on guidebooks or whatever. Also if u are looking for a guiding service i believe fox mountain guides operates out of that general area and would be the best place to start. I hear they are very good.

Good luck!

CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

Make the trip to Devils lake Wisconsin!!!! Almost all routes can be top roped. And there are close to 2000 routes all within a short hike. Beautiful area and best rock in the Midwest IMO

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

Come on down to KY, we'll get you leading if that is your goal! Redriveroutdoors.com

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

if you can afford a guided day go to seneca WV and have Tony bring you and your son to the top of south peak.

there are many moderate and easy routes to the summit and at least two local guide services. Seneca is a special place.

south peak is the large summit just right of the gunsight notch between the two major peaks

top of South peak with north peak in the background.

CCas · · Bend, OR · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 145
CRAG-list-KILLA wrote:Make the trip to Devils lake Wisconsin!!!! Almost all routes can be top roped. And there are close to 2000 routes all within a short hike. Beautiful area and best rock in the Midwest IMO
Haha love u repping for the Lake even though it is like 5 hours futher then their destination lol. Whatever... details. The purp quartzite is calling
CRAG-list-KILLA · · Wisconsin · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 205

5 hours totally worth it. Millions of boulders hell new ones go up every day. Easy top rope acess prolly easiest in the country, minimum gear to do it 75' of webbing n two lockers, anyone can rig a set up onnatural anchors(trees and boulders) you wouldn't need gear if u didn't have it. Excellent guide services in the area. The people are the most friendly in the country. Camping right there, tons of places real close to stay at if u don't wanna camp. And with a week you could see and explore a majority of what we have to offer n give you enough of a taste to move up here. lol I know it's not what ur looking for but Indiana and Ohio?!? Pffffff

lol Love that enthusiasm. If only my conference weren't in Ohio :)

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392

How will a 7 year-old belay his dad?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
CRAG-list-KILLA wrote:Make the trip to Devils lake Wisconsin!!!! Almost all routes can be top roped. And there are close to 2000 routes all within a short hike. Beautiful area and best rock in the Midwest IMO
The OP wrote:
"I'm planning a trip this summer with my son to do a week or so of climbing between Delaware and Indianapolis. "

Russ: very carefully :) We'd boulder together, but I'd top rope him or get a guide for a day for the two of us.

josh, if you can afford the guide check out seneca. camping @ princess snowbird campground was $6.00 a night in 2014 don't know what the current price is? there are 2 guide services right there and the mountain and summit are incredible. there are many easy climbs to the summit.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Crag advice for long trip"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.