Mountain Project Logo

Left quicklink & rappel ring @ Frustration Creek, CA

Original Post
Alan-C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Brought a buddy out to Frustration Creek near Forest Falls, CA, for his first time climbing outside (taught him how to belay me using my Mammut "autoblock").

I led up to the crux on The Fourth Wise man in the Lower Tier (decided to go right to clip the bolt below and between the two pairs of top chains) and looked down to see the top of his helmet. He was staring at his phone, held in his left hand, checking his instagram feed.

I immediately clipped my PAS into the bolt and bailed, having lost *all* trust in my belayer and placing more trust in self-rescue from a single bolt.

Left behind a fat quicklink and rappel ring, I believe both are marked.

If anyone is up for returning it, I'd love to have them back (in case of future circumstances where I might feel the need to use them again). Can't return for more than a week to retrieve it, so thought I'd post something here.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Hope you gave him a good scolding? Did you tell him you wouldn't climb with him again?

Alan-C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Yep. It didn't faze him, and I didn't have it in me to continue chastising him about it, I was just so thankful to be alive.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

Damn that's rough. A quick link and rap ring are a small price to not get killed. Good luck getting them back---and good luck having safer partners in the future!

Zachary Hollifield · · Salem, OR · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I'll see if I can pick it up for you the next time I head down the 38.
Edit: thats tomorrow actually.

Zachary Hollifield · · Salem, OR · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I've got your stuff. Shame, you were a move from the anchor! Though I don't think you'd have died from a 30 footer, it definitely would have sucked. PM to arrange its return. I'm local to the big bear area.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Left quicklink & rappel ring @ Frustration Cree…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started