Mountain Project Logo

Rollnlock

Original Post
Walter Galli · · Las vegas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 2,247

The Rollnlock is a new product from CT an italian company, dose any one of you guys use it? If Yes how is working it is good, bad, i was just tinking to get one,,,,

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

I was thinking about getting a second Microtrax for hauling but maybe I'll take a look at this, looks interesting.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

It's not that new--I've had mine for at least two years. I use it primarily for TR solo, and have had zero issues. I recommend it.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
mstolorena wrote:I use it for top rope solo, works great! I like it because it has no teeth.
Mine´s got teeth on the cam.
I´ve had one for maybe 4 or 5 years (I got one when they were first launched) and like it. The best feature is it will take 16mm tape so can be used as an adjustable tether or two thin ropes (works fine on two 7.8mm ropes).
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

It being able to grab webbing is pretty cool.

Tim Benson · · Longmont,CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Can anyone comment on it's functionality as a progress capture for simulclimbing?

Sean Fujimori · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1

Picked one up from pro mountain sports to use for top rope soloing. The owner (Jim Nelson) seemed surprised that I chose it over the microtraxion due to the popularity of the latter, but it was about thirty dollars less expensive and according to him should be adequate for the task so...
Can't comment from direct experience with simulclimbing, but I would imagine it would work as well as something like the microtrax. This thread is quite informative in case you haven't seen it already: flathttps://www.mountainproject.com/v/using-a-progress-capture-device-for-simul-climbing-protection/111476540__2
Note Jon H and Nick AW Brown's comments especially.

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 425
Tim Benson wrote:Can anyone comment on it's functionality as a progress capture for simulclimbing?
Highly recommended by folks reviewing it in the thread linked above. Similar to the Kong duck with less friction, is the short version.
Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Happy with our two units for simul climbing. Also like the weight difference compared to similar devices..

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Check out the section titled:

"How do I choose a progress-capture device?"

in the following link.

chossboys.weebly.com/theory…

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I'm interested how the pulley part functions as compared to the micro-trax. I've already got a mini I use for TR solo but it doesn't have the most efficient pulley so I've thought about getting the micro. $30 less seems great if it has a comparable efficiency pulley

eli poss wrote:I'm interested how the pulley part functions as compared to the micro-trax. I've already got a mini I use for TR solo but it doesn't have the most efficient pulley so I've thought about getting the micro. $30 less seems great if it has a comparable efficiency pulley
Just got mine in that mail today. After playing with it a bit my initial thought is that it's a pretty cool little device and I'll be using on walls this spring. The pulley bearing doesn't seem as smoot as the Microtraxion but still pretty smooth. There is probably two inches of play in the progress capture mode whereas the Micro has little to none. Those are my only two beefs with it, definitely not a deal breaker.
Kevin Mokracek wrote: Just got mine in that mail today. After playing with it a bit my initial thought is that it's a pretty cool little device and I'll be using on walls this spring. The pulley bearing doesn't seem as smoot as the Microtraxion but still pretty smooth. There is probably two inches of play in the progress capture mode whereas the Micro has little to none. Those are my only two beefs with it, definitely not a deal breaker.
How does that translate in terms of pulley efficiency? Better than the mini but worse than the micro? Would you consider using it as a hauling pulley?
Marty C · · Herndon, VA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 70

Petzl Micro rated at 91% efficiency.

Rollnlock rated at 85% efficiency.

Can be used It to discend?

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Walter Galli wrote:Can be used It to discend?
You can lock the cam so it doesn´t engage and will slide down if that´s what you mean.

Yes Jm thanks

I used the Rollnlock last week for some light hauling and was not super impressed. There is some 2-3 inches of play in the haul mode before the cam locks. Also and this was the biggest beef with it was that unless you have it aligned perfectly with the load the carabiner can twist and slightly open the device causing the rope to come out of the pulley slightly and reduce efficiency. Its an ok device but not a great device. Probably better suited for simul climbing and TR soloing than hauling but it will haul ok in a pinch just don't expect it to work as good as a Microtraxion.

How does it compare to the minitrax hauling wise? I've considered getting one because I can't afford a microtrax and I'd mainly be using it for TR solo but also hauling in a pinch.

It would be fine for hauling in a pinch and TR soloing but don't expect it to be as good as the Minitrax. It's something I'll be clipping to my harness for long day climbs where hauling a pack might be needed or simul climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Rollnlock "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started