Mountain Project Logo

Whats your favorite crag pack

Original Post
Andy Spellmeyer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I've been using a Marmot Ultra Compressor (22L) for sport cragging and day-hiking. The shoulder strap has recently developed a tear where it meets the pack. I like the backpack, although there are some aspects I really don't like (too much extra webbing on all the compression straps/no daisy chains/not quite big enough). Generally I can fit harness, shoes, helmet, draws, and assorted gear in it without too much trouble. If I want to bring food and some extra layers it can get pretty tightly packed. I was looking into a Patagonia Ascensionist (35L) or Cragsmith (35L), but I realized today that neither have an exit port for a hydration bladder tube. I do a lot of day hiking so I'd kinda like the option of using a camelbak if I need to.

Can you guys recommend any packs to fit the bill?

bacripe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Cragsmith does have a exit port for hydration bladder, and a dedicated pocket for it. Great pack, I love mine.

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

Ascensionist pack is great for alpine climbing, but I can't recommend it for cragging. The material is too light/fragile. I imagine you'd wear it out in a season or two of weekend use, which is ridiculous for a cragging pack. Get something burly instead. I've used an old version of a Deuter Guide 35 that has held up for years, but some of the 'crag specific' packs look interesting, specifically the BD Stone and Pata Cragsmith/Cragdaddy.

Jon Frisby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 270

My REI Trail 40 is quite similar to the Cragsmith and it has a water pouch so I'm assuming a port as well. Can check when home. FYI for cragging I will never go back from the clamshell style. So convenient

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 525

BD Creek (pick your size, the big 50L is sick).
Bombproof material, comfy straps and waist belt, carries great. Big zip to open the whole thing up and fast load/unload.

No hydration slot or whatever though.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

The BD Creek 50 is the best crag pack I've ever owned.

The Creek 50 doesn't even have a lid so dump your water bladder in there, run the hose out to one side of the other and you're done.

Imho, this pack has everything you need and nothing you don't need.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 86

BD creek 50. Just got mine and it is the best bag I have ever had. Though mine does appear to have a slot for a hose. It's just under the rain shell pocket. Unless that was meant for something else.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Mark Hudon wrote:The BD Creek 50 is the best crag pack I've ever owned. The Creek 50 doesn't even have a lid so dump your water bladder in there, run the hose out to one side of the other and you're done. Imho, this pack has everything you need and nothing you don't need.
High praise From a The Archetype Lifer! -I'm sorry to have missed the boat!!
anyone want to trade a Stone 45 for a Creek 35 or 50?

I have a 35 year old BD Son of Crag pack that is 42L and still rock solid. So when a climbing partner said there was a picture of his Grandmother using the grey pack w/ light purple straps, I replaced It with another Black Diamond product.

I am very disappointed with the BD Stone 45L pack.

The Creek is a knock off or an up grade ( with a zipper ) of the best cragging pack

at an amazing price The Atom Smasher Deluxe +
Kyle Goupil · · Salt Lake City · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 905

I have the BD Stone 45 pack and I think it's amazing. It's durable, simple design, and just enough room to fit everything. I would definitely recommend checking it out. I like it over the Creek 50 just because it has more of a backpacking look and feel so if you need to take it on longer excursions it's fine.

goingUp · · over here · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 30

I'll echo the love for the BD creek 50. Pretty comfy for long approaches. It holds everything and then some. Seems super sturdy and durable, with no signs of wear (although mines only a year old). Bucket design is great for throwing everything in and moving up/down crag. I don't see any reason why you couldn't throw a water bladder into the front pocket and run a hose to a shoulder strap.
The only downside is it doesn't cinch smaller for very light days.
I might use my simple stitcher and some webbing and make something happen at some vague point in the future, but right now it doesn't bother me enough to put the work in. Or just use one of my other packs

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Kyle Goupil wrote:I have the BD Stone 45 pack and I think it's amazing. It's durable, simple design, and just enough room to fit everything. I would definitely recommend checking it out. I like it over the Creek 50 just because it has more of a backpacking look and feel so if you need to take it on longer excursions it's fine.
Yes, for the carry and trail camping but it has no bomb-proof full strength grab loops
I made modifications . .By running one inch and 9/16 tape together, then threading these thru the slot where the waist belt goes & back up around the front of the pack, equalizing & lacing it thru the grab 'ribbons' that are criminally negligent for the expected use of the pack, I achieve a full strength exterior harness. This provides a secure grab loop, tie in point for short hauling or anchoring to the base on steep near vertical ground.

I've made the pack a climbing pack.
When I first got the pack I was told by a BD rep. That it was not a climbing pack even though
It is called. . . . . . The word haul-bag was in the description but has been dropped.

The pack is not fully double lined and is Not going to last. The three negative reviews have also been deleted from the BD product page.
Doug Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 207

I really like my patagonia crag daddy 45L

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083

I've always liked Gregory packs. I have a 1.5 day that's 35 years old, it's been dragged up miles of rock and is still going strong. JB

Andy Spellmeyer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
bacripe wrote:Cragsmith does have a exit port for hydration bladder, and a dedicated pocket for it. Great pack, I love mine.
Where?? Neither I or the (clueless) sales associate at the Patagonia store could locate it.
Mike Collins · · Northampton, MA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

I have 3 deuter bags and I love them all. They are always reasonably priced and they are durable. I usually use my freerider pro 30 which is also an awesome ski bag.

AndyN Nagy · · Dayton, Ohio · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0
Andy Spellmeyer wrote: Where?? Neither I or the (clueless) sales associate at the Patagonia store could locate it.
It's right near the top of that back zip panel.

I have a cragsmith and I really enjoy it. It can be a bit cramped with a full double rack and what not, but the rope strap on top works well to free up all the space the rope would take up. The fact that it's top loading as well as having that back panel is super useful because it's easy to just throw it down at the crag and find your stuff without having to dig through the hole pack.
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55
Andy Spellmeyer wrote:I've been using a Marmot Ultra Compressor (22L) for sport cragging and day-hiking. The shoulder strap has recently developed a tear where it meets the pack. I like the backpack, although there are some aspects I really don't like (too much extra webbing on all the compression straps/no daisy chains/not quite big enough). Generally I can fit harness, shoes, helmet, draws, and assorted gear in it without too much trouble. If I want to bring food and some extra layers it can get pretty tightly packed. I was looking into a Patagonia Ascensionist (35L) or Cragsmith (35L), but I realized today that neither have an exit port for a hydration bladder tube. I do a lot of day hiking so I'd kinda like the option of using a camelbak if I need to. Can you guys recommend any packs to fit the bill?
If you're talking about a crag pack that stays on the ground while you climb, I really like this one:
Camp Rox Pack
It's indestructible, has internal loops for gear or to flake rope directly into it, external rope management and generous side pockets that will hold rock shoes and water bottles simultaneously. It's purpose-built for cragging and not all-day hiking, so it may not be ideal for you (but since you're asking what my favorite crag pack is...). And while I like the idea of having an internal bladder, do you really need it when you can just as easily carry water externally?
Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651

Another vote for the creek 50 for cragging. I get BD product at cost, but this is one I would buy at retail if I didn't have a deal. It stands up nicely, so easy to get gear from the bottom with the side zip. Very fast to throw and go when moving to a new spot.

Not ideal for day hiking, but you can grab one of the small REI flash packs for that. They work great as a multi pitch pack if you don't need to bring pointy bits for ice.

thecornyman · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2010 · Points: 140

Creek 50, and the search is over. Finally a pack that carries weight well, easy to get to your gear and it's durable af. I've seen many fail before it.

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

Cilogear 65L Wall Sack. Carry's great with all kinds of gear in it, near indestructible. It doesn't have the side zipper which the creek 50 has, although it's a nice feature - if you want to haul the BD pack, at all, I suspect that zipper will be toast in short order.
http://www.cilogear.com/65lwallpack.html

The Camp Roxback noted upthread is too cheap/weak. If you want something like that only much more beefy, Metolius Makes the Cragstation which is 2x the pack.
ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55
Billcoe wrote: The Camp Roxback noted upthread is too cheap/weak. If you want something like that only much more beefy, Metolius Makes the Cragstation which is 2x the pack.
Hi Bill: In what way is the roxback too "weak"? I'll admit it's "cheap" at 1/3 the cost of the Cilogear 65L. ;)

I've abused it for 3 yrs and it's not showing any damage beyond some wear on the handle that ends up face down most of the time, but I've never needed to haul it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Whats your favorite crag pack"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started