Mountain Project Logo

RRG Winter Camping

Original Post
BWulf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 1

I'm thinking about spending a weekend in the Red sometime in January. What are the best options other than Miguel's? Running water and all that is a plus, but not totally necessary. Has anyone camped at PMRP? The only info I can find about it is on the RRGCC website, where the rules & regulations PDF says that it's cool.

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I hear you can post up in Skybridge Station for 20 a night

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156

land of the arches campground was awesome when I went. running water and bathrooms with showers and actual hot water. they also have an airplane hangar they converted into a communal area with a ping pong table and whatnot. also the prices were very reasonable although I forget the exact number. Id highly recommend them.

Ross Williams · · fayetteville, WV · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Yea land of the arches is the next best camping option with hot water. The hangar is awesome for when its rainy out and theres a covered outdoor kitchen area. It is 5 bucks a night compared to miguels 3 bucks a night

DrRockso RRG · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 815

The hostel at Skybridge Station is a great option, $17 a night. Stop in Friday night to book a room. You'll need to email ahead of time if you want to stay there on weekdays as they are only open Friday and Saturday during the winter.

Might be able to give you better advice if I knew what you were doing, trying to climb? hiking? ice climbing? Usually only nuts like me down there during that time of the year.

You can always get a backcountry camping pass and camp in the National Forest which might be better if you are looking to hike/camp and won't be going to the Southern Region. Miguel's, Land of the Arches, and Lagos Linda's, or renting a cabin are options as well.

BWulf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 1

I'm planning on climbing in the PMRP all weekend, which is why I was curious about camping there. Land of the Arches FAQ says they're closed until March 1st- is that accurate? It looks like Lago Linda's is probably my best bet right now.

Are you prepared to climb in below freezing temperatures and sleep in 10-20 degree temps? Sometimes we get lucky with a high 40's day in the winter but it's generally closer to a high near or below freezing. PMRP is fine to camp at, no running water or electric is available.

If you are car camping the best spot is the Flat Holler Parking lot after Chocolate Factory. If you're tent camping just pick a spot, they're aren't any camping specific spots and they're aren't going to be many people to bother that time of the year.

Land of the Arches used to be open during the winter when I would stay there, but if Dave posted they aren't open during the winter on the website then I would assume that this is the most up to date information.

Adam Bankston · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

Camp within the national Forest yo. Get in touch with some nature. Plus a pass is 3$ for over night. Don't fill it out like I do and use the same one for like 5 yrs. Lol

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
Adam Bankston wrote:Camp within the national Forest yo. Get in touch with some nature. Plus a pass is 3$ for over night. Don't fill it out like I do and use the same one for like 5 yrs. Lol
Nice. You can't fork out 5 bucks for a three day pass every time you go climbing? Real classy bro

You have been lucky, it must be filled out to be valid. Forest service rangers can and do give tickets for blank permits.

Adam Bankston · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 0

I'm a dirtbag climber. I think we've all done some stuff we ain't proud of. Don't worry about me bro. They prob will give me a ticket sometime...Then I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Until then I think the DBNF won't be missing my 3$ a night. I've been bringing money to that area for over 20yrs so come holla at me when you've stayed at Miguel's all summer and worked for your tent spot and food. Cheers.

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0
Adam Bankston wrote:I'm a dirtbag climber. I think we've all done some stuff we ain't proud of. Don't worry about me bro. They prob will give me a ticket sometime...Then I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Until then I think the DBNF won't be missing my 3$ a night. I've been bringing money to that area for over 20yrs so come holla at me when you've stayed at Miguel's all summer and worked for your tent spot and food. Cheers.
Most people are glad to contribute 3 dollars to help fund some of the last remaining wilderness in the midwest. I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to get out of paying the fee so it's not like you are outsmarting the man.
Adam Bankston wrote:I'm a dirtbag climber. I think we've all done some stuff we ain't proud of. Don't worry about me bro. They prob will give me a ticket sometime...Then I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Until then I think the DBNF won't be missing my 3$ a night. I've been bringing money to that area for over 20yrs so come holla at me when you've stayed at Miguel's all summer and worked for your tent spot and food. Cheers.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'come Holla at me' I live and work at the gorge and have spent my time living at Miguel's. You seem like the kind of person that give climbers a bad name. It's one thing to do something you're not proud of, it's another to brag about it.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG Winter Camping "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started