Mountain Project Logo

Where to store personal tether?

Original Post
Dylan Carey · · TX · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 558

NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD!

Rather,a question on where do yall put your personal tether(runner, PAS, dyneema...etc) while not using it? When I wrap it around waist and clip a back gear loop it always seems to get stuck on wires or cam lobes. When I attach it to 1st gear loop it hangs too low and catches leg. And I've put it on and off belay loop at every station, got to be a better way than that. And, if you have 2 tethers, double the fun! I saw somewhere about a tether thong...sounds fun.

I searched through threads and couldn't find anything besides the 87 posts on why yer gonna die with a PAS.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I clip the biners on both of my tethers together and then clip one to my left, rear gear loop. My gear on the rear loop then drapes over it. This works for me. Just avoid the dreaded loop up the ass crack method. It is just undignified.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Clip all the loops on your PAS to a locker and then clip it to your harness. Won't dangle down; just like wadding up a double-length runner and clipping it to your harness.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are using your PAS as an anchor, rather than just a rappel sling, so you will have to do this at each belay station. If you build an anchor at each station, you won't have to deal with your tether(s) until you rappel.

JF M · · NoCo · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,823

PAS THONG-tha-thon-thon-thong is the Way

but really, i leave mine hitched to the tie-ins, then clip the locker to the terminal and 3rd loop, and then to a back gear loop (not haul loop) and make sure it stays under all the other gear.

Dylan Carey wrote:Thanks for the input. Frank, routes I have been on lately and have on the near future list are all bolted belay stations, so not building anchors. And, to elaborate on my system, no PAS used.
Not sure I understand. You're not building anchors and you're not using your PAS. How are you attaching yourself to the bolted belay station?

Thanks for the input. Frank, routes I have been on lately and have on the near future list are all bolted belay stations, so not building anchors. And, to elaborate on my system, no PAS used.

Frank, Just using a dyneema girthed to belay loop (sometimes 2, sometimes 1 and a rope tie-in).

Andy R · · MA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 45

clip to gear loop then tuck rest under a leg loop, faster than clipping the loops and stays out of the way no problem

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I don't care how it looks or what Alexs thinks...thong all the way!

Andy Rasmussen wrote:tuck it under a leg loop, faster than clipping the loops and stays out of the way no problem
Now there's an idea!
Ted Pinson wrote:I don't care how it looks or what Alexs thinks...thong all the way!
2 votes for thong
Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165

Clipped to the rear gear loop with gear draped over. Never in the way, easier to access than the thong, and less of your friends pointing and laughing.

Jonathan Dull · · Boone, NC · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 415

I don't break out the PAS until I'm rapping a route or run out of draws/slings. I just keep it on my very back gear loop on a locker (not girthed to my hardpoints). I anchor in with a clove while on route. I've never understood why folks use them to anchor in on multi-pitch routes in the first place - seems like something else to get cluttered and you have very limited adjustment capabilities compared to a clove with your rope.

The other day I actually did have to anchor in with one only because I linked two pitches (a full 70m) and didn't have enough rope to clove in with. And forgot my cord at the previous belay.

--- Invalid image id: 112425080 ---

Dylan Carey wrote:NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD!
It's slowly moving in that direction, despite your comment!
Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I usually shorten it a bit by clipping about 3 loops back and then run it under the gear hanging from my front gear loops and clip it to the back gear loop.

Zachary k · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 80

Thong is the way. I always make my PAS as short as possible so when I clip my back gear loop it is nice an tight like a good thong should be. Everyone else will really appreciate it as well.

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90
Jonathan Dull wrote:I don't break out the PAS until I'm rapping a route or run out of draws/slings. I just keep it on my very back gear loop on a locker (not girthed to my hardpoints). I anchor in with a clove while on route. I've never understood why folks use them to anchor in on multi-pitch routes in the first place - seems like something else to get cluttered and you have very limited adjustment capabilities compared to a clove with your rope.
Out of curiosity, why do you carry it at all? Seems the only time you use it is after a climb, so you should have plenty of material to work with for an extended rap (60cm slings).

My go to right now, when I carry it (although I have been debating it's true utility), is around my waist. My Chain Reactor is pretty much the perfect size to go all the way around and clip back to itself. I do use a gear sling for my cams, so that may help with it not getting in the way/hung up too bad.
Brady3 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 15

I don't use one, but a friend that does keeps it girthed to his hard points then wraps it around and clips it back to the belay loop. It goes above all his gear loops and is snug enough that it doesn't get in his way, he does move it to a gear loop for belaying because it pulls his belay loop to the side.

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

I wear my teather thong style. It helps that its length is adjustable so I can shorten it up to not hang loose.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Dylan Carey wrote:NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD! Rather,a question on where do yall put your personal tether(runner, PAS, dyneema...etc) while not using it? When I wrap it around waist and clip a back gear loop it always seems to get stuck on wires or cam lobes. When I attach it to 1st gear loop it hangs too low and catches leg. And I've put it on and off belay loop at every station, got to be a better way than that. And, if you have 2 tethers, double the fun! I saw somewhere about a tether thong...sounds fun. I searched through threads and couldn't find anything besides the 87 posts on why yer gonna die with a PAS.
When leading, I wrap it around my waist and clip back to the belay loop where it is clove-hitched. The wrap goes above all the gear loops and doesn't catch on anything. When following, scrambling unroped, or simul-climbing, I usually just gather up some loops and clip it to a front gear loop.
Scot Hastings · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 35
Jonathan Dull wrote:I don't break out the PAS until I'm rapping a route or run out of draws/slings. I just keep it on my very back gear loop on a locker (not girthed to my hardpoints). I anchor in with a clove while on route. I've never understood why folks use them to anchor in on multi-pitch routes in the first place - seems like something else to get cluttered and you have very limited adjustment capabilities compared to a clove with your rope.
Yep. Completely agree. Nothing screams noob like having some sort of tether while going up on a multi. It's not just an aesthetics thing, either. With the possible exception of the thong, whatever you do is going to interfere with the gear that matters (i.e. your rack) that is also competing for that space.

As for the descent, now that you're no longer using your rack, do whatever is easiest and most efficient. I personally agree with Brian L., though. It's pretty much a guarantee that you can scavenge something that actually served a purpose in the ascent, thus letting it do double duty. My personal goto is a hybrid double but I've also used alpine draws, 1 or 2 dyneema slings, a cordalette, and even QDs (when you know you'll be close to the rap anchors).
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Where to store personal tether?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started