Mountain Project Logo

How is the road into Turkey Rocks right now?

Original Post
Ed L · · Slowida · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 80

I was thinking of heading out there tomorrow and would like some info on road conditions. I don't think it has snowed much over there lately but would love to hear from someone who has ventured up there in the last couple days. Thanks.

Sam Latone 1 · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0
Troy Tadlock wrote:Was there Saturday. Road was still in good condition, snow for the most part (packed). No problem for the Tacoma. No drifts or ruts.
Where you in a red Tacoma?

I went out on Tuesday in an 87 4Runner. No ruts but the snow was seeming like it was starting to pack and slick up in areas. Decent clearance and 4 low with decent tires was very helpful for me. I brought a shovel just in case.
Rusty Shackleford · · Boulder County aka The Cent… · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

With snow pack, is this something an outback or other HC/AWD vehicles can negotiate? Are there other splatte locations worthy of visiting in the winter that might not necessarily require such vehicles?

Thanks.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35
Anthony O'Neill wrote:With snow pack, is this something an outback or other HC/AWD vehicles can negotiate? Are there other splatte locations worthy of visiting in the winter that might not necessarily require such vehicles? Thanks.
Most splatte areas are accessible in the winter. The major exception is anything off of Rampart Range Road as it arbitrarily closes in the winter.

Turkey rocks is almost always accessible with anything AWD or better. There are certainly times you can't but it's a better bet that it'll be fine. I haven't been there this year so I can't say. It's only like an hour walk from where the road turns to turkey. That is a legitimate option. You don't have to drive everywhere.

Thunder Ridge nearby won't have any snow of note on the drive.
Rusty Shackleford · · Boulder County aka The Cent… · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Thank you sky shart. Turkey Rocks and Thunder Ridge were my main interests.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "How is the road into Turkey Rocks right now?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started