Mountain Project Logo

Sherburne ski trail in Mt Washington open/closed this season?

Original Post
Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78

I heard there is bridge work on the Tuck's trail, which has required people taking a long detour. But what about the Sherby? I am planning on doing a lot of skin-up / climb gullies / ski down adventures this winter, but can't really do that if I can't skin up / ski down.

Charles Proctor · · Somerville, MA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 75

The bridge is near completion so the tucks trail is open top to bottom as of two weeks ago or so. The sherb is skiable top to bottom I believe though it probably isn't enjoyable skiing at the moment. mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org is generally the best place to check for updates.

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

From the Avalanche center: "As of today, the closure on the Tuckerman Ravine Trail has been lifted. This means that the shortest route from Pinkham Notch to Hermit Lake is now the Tuckerman Ravine Trail. The bridge is still under construction, so please beware when approaching the bridge that the excavator may be in operation."

Also, the Sherby is only for downhill traffic. Skinning is not allowed.

Noah Haber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 78

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Somehow missed that news update.

Linnaeus wrote:Also, the Sherby is only for downhill traffic. Skinning is not allowed.
Ah, cool. Did not know the sherby is down-only. What's the best way to hit a skin track up to the ice around there? Just regular tuck's trail?
Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Yea, the TRT mostly parallels the Sherby anyhow, and it's easy/fast skinning once you are past the switchbacks early on.

ChrisN · · Morro Bay, CA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 25
shoo wrote:Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Somehow missed that news update. Ah, cool. Did not know the sherby is down-only. What's the best way to hit a skin track up to the ice around there? Just regular tuck's trail?
This is incorrect, while there is a rule that you cannot ski down the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, there is no rule that you cannot skin up the Sherburne trail. The snow rangers have weighed in on this, it comes up at least once a year.

That being said, skinning up the Sherburne is discouraged and you will likely get dirty looks/comments.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Sherburne ski trail in Mt Washington open/close…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started